BigMM

AFI's 100 Years...100 Movies

They did some 10th anniversary special last night on CBS - here's the list if anyone cares:

1. Citizen Kane (1941)

2. The Godfather (1972) +1

3. Casablanca (1942) -1

4. Raging Bull (1980) +20

5. Singin' in the Rain (1952) +5

6. Gone With the Wind (1939) -2

7. Lawrence of Arabia (1962) -2

8. Schindler's List (1993) +1

9. Vertigo (1958) +52

10. The Wizard of Oz (1939) -4

11. City Lights (1931) +65

12. The Searchers (1956) +84

13. Star Wars (1977) +2

14. Psycho (1960) +4

15. 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968) +7

16. Sunset Boulevard (1950) -4

17. The Graduate (1967) -10

18. The General (1927) NEW

19. On the Waterfront (1954) -11

20. It's a Wonderful Life (1946) -9

21. Chinatown (1974) -2

22. Some Like It Hot (1959) -8

23. The Grapes of Wrath (1940) -2

24. E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (1982) +1

25. To Kill a Mockingbird (1962) +9

26. Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (1939) +3

27. High Noon (1952) +6

28. All About Eve (1950) -12

29. Double Indemnity (1944) +9

30. Apocalypse Now (1979) -2

31. The Maltese Falcon (1941) -8

32. The Godfather Part II (1974)

33. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975) -13

34. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937) +15

35. Annie Hall (1977) -4

36. The Bridge on the River Kwai (1957) -13

37. The Best Years of Our Lives (1946)

38. The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (1948) -8

39. Dr. Strangelove (1964) -13

40. The Sound of Music (1965) +15

41. King Kong (1933) +2

42. Bonnie and Clyde (1967) -15

43. Midnight Cowboy (1969) -7

44. The Philadelphia Story (1940) +7

45. Shane (1953) +24

46. It Happened One Night (1934) -11

47. A Streetcar Named Desire (1951) -2

48. Rear Window (1954) -6

49. Intolerance (1916) NEW

50. The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001) NEW

51. West Side Story (1961) -10

52. Taxi Driver (1976) -5

53. The Deer Hunter (1978) +36

54. M*A*S*H (1970) +2

55. North by Northwest (1959) -15

56. Jaws (1975) -8

57. Rocky (1976) +21

58. The Gold Rush (1925) +16

59. Nashville (1975) NEW

60. Duck Soup (1933) +25

61. Sullivan's Travels (1941) NEW

62. American Graffiti (1973) +15

63. Cabaret (1972) NEW

64. Network (1976) +2

65. The African Queen (1951) -48

66. Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981) -6

67. Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? (1966) NEW

68. Unforgiven (1992) +30

69. Tootsie (1982) -7

70. A Clockwork Orange (1971) -24

71. Saving Private Ryan (1998) NEW

72. The Shawshank Redemption (1994) NEW

73. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (1969) -23

74. The Silence of the Lambs (1991) -9

75. In the Heat of the Night (1967) NEW

76. Forrest Gump (1994) -9

77. All The President's Men (1976) NEW

78. Modern Times (1936) +3

79. The Wild Bunch (1969) +1

80. The Apartment (1960) +13

81. Spartacus (1960) NEW

82. Sunrise (1927) NEW

83. Titanic (1997) NEW

84. Easy Rider (1969) +4

85. A Night at the Opera (1935) NEW

86. Platoon (1986) -3

87. Angry Men (1957) NEW

88. Bringing Up Baby (1938) +9

89. The Sixth Sense (1999) NEW

90. Swing Time (1936) NEW

91. Sophie's Choice (1982) NEW

92. Goodfellas (1990) +2

93. The French Connection (1971) -23

94. Pulp Fiction (1994) +1

95. The Last Picture Show (1971) NEW

96. Do the Right Thing (1989) NEW

97. Blade Runner (1982) NEW

98. Yankee Doodle Dandy (1942) +2

99. Toy Story (1995) NEW

100. Ben-Hur (1959) -28

A lot of this list is probably BS. But still fun to look at.

The numbers next to the title shows the change from 10 years ago.

Titanic stands out as not belonging. The story itself was very weak. Any special effect standing that it has could be represented by other movies.

Titanic stands out as not belonging. The story itself was very weak. Any special effect standing that it has could be represented by other movies.

Neither does ET. ET is a really crappy movie that I liked as a kid because I didn't know any better.

Tootsie? The Sixth Sense?

How can those movies be above Blade Runner, Do the Right Thing, Pulp Fiction and Goodfellas?

Crazy.

It's nice to see that some people finally realize that It's a Wonderful Life is an overrated piece of schmaltzy crap.

Where's Caddy Shack? :cheeky:

Seriously, I am glad that American Graffiti is on the list - that was a very good movie. I'm fine with Sixth Sense being there but agree that Titanic has no place there. I'd move Godfather II up higher than #32 and question All The President's Men being on the list at all. It was interesting but not a great movie.

I think we are all missing an important aspect of this rating, cultural importance. Some of these movies aren't necessarally very good, but they did play an important role in how we look at movies today.

I personally think any list of all-time top 100 movies with Schindler's List not in the top-5 is garbage though. It was a movie that was engaging, eductaional, and had a massive cultural impact, not to even mention technically PERFECT. I'm sorry, but Raging Bull, The Godfather, and Singing In The Rain are NOT better movies than Schindler's List!!! Actually, the only argument for #1 is Citizen Kane.

I think we are all missing an important aspect of this rating, cultural importance. Some of these movies aren't necessarally very good, but they did play an important role in how we look at movies today.

I personally think any list of all-time top 100 movies with Schindler's List not in the top-5 is garbage though. It was a movie that was engaging, eductaional, and had a massive cultural impact, not to even mention technically PERFECT. I'm sorry, but Raging Bull, The Godfather, and Singing In The Rain are NOT better movies than Schindler's List!!! Actually, the only argument for #1 is Citizen Kane.

The Godfather and Raging Bull are better movies than Schindlers LIst. I've never seen Singing in the Rain.

The Godfather and Raging Bull are better movies than Schindlers LIst. I've never seen Singing in the Rain.

I'll give in they are great movies, but I don't think they compete if for no other reason than Schindler's List content. I'm sorry, but a fictional movie about the mafia or a fictional movie about a boxer is not as emotionally moving as the Holocaust. Technically, they are all great movies, but in this case it comes down to the theme and content of the movies.

of course it's not because one depicted real events and one was fiction. But since when is that the criteria for a great film?

of course it's not because one depicted real events and one was fiction. But since when is that the criteria for a great film?

It isn't, but the emotional attatchment to the Holocaust is a lot greater than the emotional attatchment to a boxer or a mafioso. Furthermore, I think Speilberg brings the viewer into the movies a lot better than Coppala does. Speilberg's use of music to enhance the experience is also far better than in the other two. In this case the real events beats the fictional story. In other cases it may be different, but not here. I also agree that those two (Raging Bull and The Godfather, Singing In The Rain, while technically great, subject-wise it did nothing for me) are also top-10 wholeheartedly.

Citizen Kane? I don't know, I saw that when I was 6 and it bored the hell out of me. I fell asleep. :cheeky:

Citizen Kane is the garndfather of modern film making... alot of modern film making was poineered making the movie

I'll give in they are great movies, but I don't think they compete if for no other reason than Schindler's List content. I'm sorry, but a fictional movie about the mafia or a fictional movie about a boxer is not as emotionally moving as the Holocaust. Technically, they are all great movies, but in this case it comes down to the theme and content of the movies.

Just because a movie was about the Holocaust doesn't mean it was great. Why is the European holocaust more moving than somehting like Hotel Rwanda (which doesn't even make the list) or The Killing Fields?

I think Speilberg's movies are usually pretty schlocky. They're full of special effects and neat computer tricks, but the stories are very base. Spielberg is at his best when he's making a comic book. Like Raiders of the Lost Ark, or Jaws (which are both excellent movies) or the beginning of Saving Private Ryan (which wasn't an excellent movie). When he tries to do more, it falls flat (like the second half of Saving Private Ryan).

The one exception are the movies he makes about being a Jew or his Jewishness or Israel; like Schindlers List and Munich. Munich wasn't perfect, but it was a really good movie that asked a lot of questions of the audience. Schindlers List was really good too (without asking as many questions).

But top 5? No way. Hell, the Graduate is a better movie than Schindlers List. So is Blade Runner for that matter.

Citizen Kane? I don't know, I saw that when I was 6 and it bored the hell out of me. I fell asleep. :cheeky:

It's not for six year olds.

I've only seen 10 of those movies, and for 2 of them I had just had my wisdom teeth removed, so it is a little fuzzy.

Die Hard should definetly be on there, ahead of snow white, titanic, and lord of the rings.

Two that I really liked that I would put on any list I would make of my favorite movies would be Crash and American Beauty. I loved both of those. I've probably seen 50-60 of the Top 100 list above and the only one I really hated of those 50-60 was A Clockwork Orange. I just didn't get it.

Two that I really liked that I would put on any list I would make of my favorite movies would be Crash and American Beauty. I loved both of those. I've probably seen 50-60 of the Top 100 list above and the only one I really hated of those 50-60 was A Clockwork Orange. I just didn't get it.

Yeah, that movie was warped. I'd agree on the other two though. I think both of them were better than some of those...

As much as I don't really like it, Gone With the Wind should still be a Top 3 movie. I am glad to see Vertigo up higher. If you want to watch a good movie, check out that or Rear Window. Great films!

I'm sure I'd enjoy it more 12 years later. Is it worth watching despite knowing the ending?

Every time I watch it, and I've seen it over 100 times, I get something more out of it. I still enjoy it immensly.

How does Raging Bull jump twenty spots into the Top 5? I like the movie and all but twenty spots? It's not like the film was re-released in the last ten years.

The Searchers is a favorite film of mine but I can't explain an 84-spot jump in this day and age. It might be the most popular un-PC movie of all time. It's treatment of Native Americans and women is so deplorable that it's almost hard to watch without thinking Johns Wayne and Ford were two incredibly racist men. (I don't really believe they were, but this film doesn't exactly make them look like friends of the Native American.)

And how can a movie (Intolerance) from 1916 be "new" and jump all the way to #49?

Was anybody watching the broadcast of the Tigers/Rangers last year when, because the Tigers were obliterating the Rangers, Lewin and the other guy decided to spend a couple innings trashing Citizen Kane as an overrated move, started listing off bad movies. Eventually, it was when Todd Jones was injured, Todd Jones sent in his least favorite movies.

I agree with the overratedness that people have expressed for movies like ET and It's a Wonderful life. I hate how the same movies are brought up over and over again as great just because and that's the way it should be, but then again I prefer movies where I'm on the edge of my seat or laughing my *** off for two hours as opposed to sappy pieces of crap that tend to win awards. Is it wrong to suggest a movie like Wedding Crashers belongs on a list of great movies, or is that immature and not recognizing true greatness like that boring piece of crap ET?

TTF, I'm with you, I hated Clockwork Orange. Just creepy.

I see the KKK film from 1915 is off the list.

I didn't even notice that.

How could you leave Birth of a Nation off the list? Regardless of it's outdated and racist content, it changed moviemaking forever and is one of the most important films of all time.

Travesty.

Tootsie but no Birth of a Nation. How stupid.