redshark63

2007 Oneonta Daily Star Articles

O-Tigers lean on big guns

Staff Report

Chris Carlson hit a two-run homer in the fourth inning Friday to break a scoreless tie, and starter Guillermo Moscoso allowed one unearned run over six innings as the Oneonta Tigers downed host Mahoning Valley, 5-1, in the New York-Penn League.

Oneonta (18-13), which has won three in a row and nine of its last 11, remained a half-game behind first-place Lowell in the Stedler Division. The Spinners defeated visiting Williamsport, 2-0, in 10 innings Friday.

Losing pitcher William Delage (0-3) walked Ron Bourquin to start Oneonta’s at-bats in the fourth. Carlson followed with a home run to left field for a 2-0 lead.

Kody Kaiser extended the lead to 3-0 in the fifth with an RBI double to right field. Kaiser drove in Devin Thomas, who led off with a walk and advanced to second on Jorge Patino’s sacrifice bunt.

The Scrappers (14-16) scored in the bottom of the fifth with the help of a throwing error by third baseman Bourquin. Matthew Brown scored from first with none out when Bourquin threw away a grounder by Jeffrey Hehr, who advanced to second on the miscue.

Oneonta scored in the eighth and ninth off reliever Daniel Frega.

Justin Henry singled to lead off the eighth then moved to second on a wild pitch. After Bourquin walked, Henry moved to third when Carlson flied out to center. Henry made it 4-1 when Casper Wells grounded out to shortstop Mark Thompson.

Oneonta capped the scoring in the ninth with a hit batsman and back-to-back singles. Frega hit Cory Middleton with one out, then allowed singles to Devin Thomas and Patino. The latter hit scored Middleton.

In his first outing since throwing a perfect game _ a 6-0 victory over visiting Batavia on July 15 _ Moscoso (4-0) struck out eight, walked three and extended his streak of scoreless innings to 26 2/3.

The O-Tigers play at Mahoning Valley at 7:05 p.m. Saturday and at 6:05 p.m. Sunday. After an off-day Monday, Oneonta starts a six-game homestand with a three-game series against the Staten Island Yankees

http://www.thedailystar.com/sports/2007/07/21/c1-otigers-210.html

Tigers two-hit MV in 4-0 win

Staff Report

Sean Finefrock allowed one hit over eight innings Sunday, capping a week of starting pitching for the Oneonta Tigers that had to bring a smile to manager Andy Barkett’s face.

Finefrock and Adriano Santos combined on a two-hitter, leading the O-Tigers to a 4-0 victory at Mahoning Valley before 7,008 fans. It was the O-Tigers 10th victory in their last 13 games.

Oneonta starters are 6-1 with a 1.92 ERA since last Sunday, when Guillermo Moscoso threw a perfect game in the Tigers’ 6-0 defeat of Batavia at Damaschke Field. Finefrock, Moscoso, Mark Brackman, Sendy Vasquez and Alfredo Figaro combined to allow nine earned runs over 51 2/3 innings since last Sunday.

Moscoso led the way, going 2-0 with no earned runs over 15 innings during that stretch.

Finefrock (2-2) struck out three and walked one Sunday, allowing a leadoff double to right by Todd Martin in the second inning. Martin also singled off Santos with two out in the ninth.

The Scrappers, who had two runners reach base on hit batsmen and another on a third-strike wild pitch, failed to get anyone past second base.

Oneonta, which took two of three games from the Scrappers, scored in the fourth inning off losing pitcher Michael Eisenberg. Ron Bourquin led off with a single to left and advanced to second when Eisenberg hit Chris Carlson with a pitch _ one of five hit batsmen in the game. After Michael Sullivan grounded into a double play, Casper Wells doubled to left to score Bourquin for a 1-0 lead.

Oneonta tacked on two more runs in the fifth.

Eisenberg hit Flores to start the inning, then walked No. 9 batter Kyle Peter. Kody Kaiser singled to center to load the bases, and Henry hit a sacrifice fly to right to score Flores.

Peter advanced to third on the play and, after Kaiser stole second, Bourquin hit an RBI groundout to second for a 3-0 lead.

Another walk, a hit batsman and a single by Cory Middleton loaded the bases with none out in the sixth against Mahoning Valley reliever Daniel Morales. Peter’s groundout to second scored Sullivan for the final run.

Henry, Bourquin and Middleton each had two hits for the O-Tigers (19-14), who are in second place in the Stedler Division, 1 1/2 games behind Lowell.

Oneonta is off today before starting a six-game homestand Tuesday. Oneonta begins with three games against the Staten Island Yankees, followed by three more against the Aberdeen IronBirds.

http://www.thedailystar.com/sports/2007/07/23/13-otigers-230.html

Vasquez bails out O-Tigers

By Rob Centorani

Staff Writer

ONEONTA _ It’s not often a team gets two hits and wins.

It’s equally rare when one hit leads to three runs in an inning.

The Oneonta Tigers did both Tuesday night, defeating the Staten Island Yankees, 3-1, in front of 3,713 fans at Damaschke Field.

Behind seven strong innings from Sendy Vasquez and one disastrous defensive inning by the Yankees, the O-Tigers won their third straight game and their 11th out of 14.

"We didn’t swing the bats tonight," O-Tigers manager Andy Barkett said. "They ran some pretty good arms at us. We were flat, offensively. We took advantage of a couple errors they made, Sendy just pitched great and the bullpen was outstanding."

Vasquez’s performance was the latest in a string of quality starts for Oneonta. Over the last nine games, Tigers’ starters are 7-1 with a 1.53 ERA.

"I never liked pitchers when I was a position player," Barkett said of his 13-year professional career. "Now that I’m a manager, they’re your best friends, especially in a game like tonight when we really shouldn’t have won the game. We didn’t earn it, offensively."

Vasquez, a hard-throwing right-hander, pinpointed 59 of his 92 pitches for strikes. He also threw first-pitch strikes to 16 of the 25 batters he faced in allowing one run on four hits.

The Daily Star Weekly Photo Galleries

View and purchase local sports photos from The Daily Star

"When you get that first-strike pitch, you throw better when you’re up in the count," said Vasquez, who improved to 3-4.

Perhaps the biggest difference for Vasquez on Tuesday was his control. He had walked 23 batters in 29 2/3 innings coming into Tuesday’s start but allowed one to Staten Island.

"When you’re ahead in the count, you can make hitters think," Barkett said. "You can keep them off balance, especially when you’re throwing 95-to-97 mph like Sendy does."

Trailing, 1-0, heading into the bottom of the fourth, the O-Tigers received gift after gift from the Yankees during a three-run inning.

Chris Carlson led off with a walk against losing pitcher Adam Olbrychowski before Mike Sullivan lined a 1-2 pitch to center for the O-Tigers’ lone hit of the inning.

Casper Wells then hit what appeared to be a sure-fire double play ball to second baseman Damon Sublett. Although Sublett fielded the bouncer cleanly, his throw didn’t come close to shortstop Justin Snyder. The ball ended up near the left-field line as Carlson scored, Sullivan moved to third and Wells advanced to second.

Olbrychowski came back to strike out Cory Middleton and Angel Flores but then walked No. 9 hitter Kyle Peter. On ball four _ a high, outside pitch _ the ball deflected off catcher Jose Gil’s glove for a wild pitch that allowed Sullivan to score to make it 2-1.

With Kody Kaiser batting, Olbrychowski faked a pick off move to third as Peter took off for second. Olbrychowski had plenty of time to get Peter, but his throw sailed about five feet wide-left of second and into center field, allowing Wells to score Oneonta’s third run.

"We didn’t earn anything tonight," Barkett said. "We didn’t even hit many balls hard at people. It’s great to not swing the bats and win a game, and I’ll tell you what, we haven’t come out on the winning side of any of these (types of games) so far. It’s nice to be on that side when you don’t play well and you win, but to get where we want, we have to play better than that. That’s not good enough."

Erik Crichton and Noah Krol each pitched a scoreless inning of relief for Oneonta. Krol retired all three batters he faced in the ninth to earn his sixth save of the season.

Oneonta (20-14) moved within a half-game of Stedler Division-leading Lowell (20-13), which lost, 6-5, to Jamestown in 10 innings Tuesday.

The Tigers continue their three-game series against Staten Island at 7 p.m. tonight. Mark Brackman (1-0) is scheduled to pitch for Oneonta.

http://www.thedailystar.com/sports/2007/07/25/13-otigers-250.html

Bourquin’s bunt big in O-Tigers’ win

By Rob Centorani

Staff Writer

ONEONTA _ One could watch a season’s worth of Major League Baseball games and not see a cleanup hitter lay down a sacrifice bunt.

But arguably the biggest play of the Oneonta Tigers’ 5-3 victory over the Staten Island Yankees on Thursday night came when No. 4 hitter Ronnie Bourquin successfully sacrificed two runners over in the seventh inning.

Casper Wells followed with a sacrifice fly that snapped a 3-all tie and Jorge Patino hit a two-out RBI double as the O-Tigers took two of three games from Staten Island before 534 fans at Damaschke Field.

"That’s baseball at its finest," said Wells, who homered during the Tigers’ three-run second inning. "Two runners get on, Ronnie hits a great bunt, I got a fastball in and was able to get deep enough to get a run in. And then Patino followed with that hit, and that was huge."

It marks the fifth straight series the Tigers have won, dating to a three-game series against State College that started July 11. Oneonta won two of three, then followed with a three-game sweep of Batavia. The Tigers went on to take two of three from Jamestown, Mahoning Valley and Staten Island.

"When you’re winning two out of three consistently, that makes the difference between a team that has a shot to win their division or a team that doesn’t," O-Tigers manager Andy Barkett said. "Right now, we’re winning series when we have to."

With the score tied at 3 in the seventh, Justin Henry lined an opposite-field double to left off of Jason Kiley on an 0-2 count. Kody Kaiser followed with a walk.

Then, the left-handed hitting Bourquin laid down a well-placed bunt toward third to get the runners over.

The Daily Star Weekly Photo Galleries

View and purchase local sports photos from The Daily Star

"I’m not a big fan of bunting to be honest with you," Barkett said. "I had a lot of respect for the arms the Yankees were throwing at us, and we got in a situation where we had spoiled a couple of opportunities to blow the game open earlier. I had a lot of speed on the bases with Henry and Kaiser, and Ronnie’s battling a couple of injuries that have been nagging him.

"He’s a line-drive and a groundball hitter, he’s not a long home-run hitter, so he’s a candidate for a double play in that situation," he continued. "So late in the game, I wanted to take the chance of laying the bunt down and getting the guys in scoring position."

Wells hit a long fly to left that scored Henry, and Patino hit an opposite-field double to left-center to make it 5-3.

Three Oneonta relievers combined to throw four shutout innings. Winning pitcher Jose Fragoso (2-2) pitched two scoreless innings, and Rudy Darrow and Noah Krol each threw one. Krol earned his seventh save of the season.

"I can’t say enough about the job Fragoso, Darrow and Krol did tonight," Barkett said.

O-Tigers starter Guillermo Moscoso, who threw a perfect game in his last start at Damaschke Field, struggled through five innings, allowing three runs on eight hits.

With Oneonta trailing, 2-0, Wells led off the bottom of the second with a first-pitch homer to left off S.I. starter Chris Farley.

"I like swinging ahead in the count," Wells said of his fourth homer this season. "I don’t even like to get two strikes. If it’s near the zone early in the count, I’ll be swinging. He just threw a fastball _ belt-high, down the middle _ and I just put a good swing on it."

Mike Sullivan followed with a single to shallow left-center, and Chris Carlson hit an RBI double that one-hopped the fence in left to tie the score at 2. Sullivan was running on the play and scored without a throw. Cory Middleton then hit an RBI triple to gap in right-center to give Oneonta a 3-1 lead.

The O-Tigers (21-15) start a three-game series against the Aberdeen IronBirds at 7 tonight at Damaschke Field.

http://www.thedailystar.com/sports/2007/07/27/13-otigers270.html

O-Tigers take series from Aberdeen with 7-6 victory

By Courtney A. Erickson

Contributing Writer

ONEONTA _ The Oneonta Tigers received strong relief pitching from an unlikely source Sunday night.

Newcomer Jacob Ramos, a lefty, pitched 1 2/3 innings of one-hit relief for his first victory, and Casper Wells scored the winning run as the O-Tigers edged Aberdeen, 7-6, before 576 fans at Damaschke Field.

O-Tigers manager Andy Barkett said Ramos took an 11-day leave of absence from the Single-A Lakeland Flying Tigers for personal reasons, then joined the O-Tigers this past Friday. Ramos was 5-2 with a 3.46 ERA for Lakeland in the Florida State League.

"He hadn’t pitched in a while, and we tried to get his feet wet in a situation that wasn’t such a tight game," Barkett said of Ramos, "but we didn’t have a choice tonight."

Ramos replaced reliever Jose Fragoso to start the seventh with the score tied at 6. He allowed a bunt-single to Matthew Angle with two out in the eighth, when Oneonta held a 7-6 lead.

"I was ready to throw," Ramos said. "I was waiting for my chance to get in there and see what I could do and just do my job."

Right fielder Wells relied on his speed to score the decisive run.

Wells bounced a one-out triple off the right-field wall against Aberdeen losing pitcher Shane Matthews (0-2) in the bottom of the seventh. Matthews intentionally walked Ronnie Bourquin before getting Chris Carlson to ground to Douglas Reinhardt at third base.

"My manager told me, ?If it’s contact, you’re running,’" Wells said of the play. "I honestly didn’t even think they were going to throw it home. I thought they were going to try to turn a double play. I’m running, looking at the ground and I look up and see the catcher jump for the ball. He’s standing there as if he thought I was going to collide with him and I just kind of slipped in there."

Barkett praised Wells for his hustle and hard play all season long.

"Casper Wells is not considered one of the top prospects in the Detroit organization, but I’d put him up against anybody as far as how hard he plays the game every day," Barkett said. "As long as I’m managing this game, I would love to have him on my team. He’s done everything we’ve asked of him this year, he’s overachieved and he’s a big part of this team’s success."

Oneonta (23-16) battered Aberdeen (18-20) starter Aubrey Miller for six runs in the second inning, sending nine batters to the plate after Bourquin led off with a groundout.

Oneonta starter Sendy Vasquez failed to protect the lead, allowing three runs in the third and three more in the fifth.

"Today we get a six-run lead, you’re out there feeling comfortable," Barkett said, "and the next thing you know, the game’s tied before you even sit down."

Barkett turned to Ramos before Noah Krol came in with a 7-6 lead and two out in the eighth. Krol, who walked three and allowed one hit, got pinch-hitter Anthony Martinez to pop out to Bourquin at third to end the game with the bases loaded. Krol earned his team-best eighth save this season.

"This has been a crazy series," said Barkett, whose team took two of three games against the IronBirds. (See story on Page 20). "In my short career as a manager, it’s been the craziest series I’ve been a part of."

Oneonta heads to Staten Island for a three-game series that starts at 7:10 tonight.

http://www.thedailystar.com/sports/2007/07/30/15-otigers-303.html

Tigers fall, 3-2, at Staten Island

Staff Report

Easy come, easy go.

After scoring twice in the top of the eighth Monday, the Oneonta Tigers allowed two runs in the bottom half of the inning as the host Staten Island Yankees won their New York-Penn League series opener, 3-2.

The Yankees, who dropped two of three games at Damaschke Field last week, took a 1-0 lead in the second on an RBI single by Donald Hollingsworth with one out.

Staten Island (22-17) maintained its lead until the eighth, when the O-Tigers (23-17) rallied for two runs with two out.

Ronnie Bourquin led off with a single to center before Cory Middleton flied out and Devin Thomas struck out.

Pinch-hitter Justin Henry then singled to right to put runners at the corners, and Angel Flores walked to load the bases.

Jason Stephens then hit Jorge Patino, tying the score at 1 as Bourquin came home from third. Jonathan Ortiz took over for Stephens and walked Kody Kaiser, scoring Henry from third for a 2-1 Oneonta lead. Ortiz struck out Michael Sullivan swinging to end the inning.

The Yankees rallied against losing pitcher Jacob Ramos (1-1), who replaced an injured Jay Sborz with two out in the seventh.

Taylor Holiday bunted for a single to start the bottom of the eighth, then advanced to third on a throwing error. Bourquin got Damon Sublett out on a grounder to first but threw the ball away on a double play attempt at second.

Braedyn Pruitt followed with a single to right, tying the score at 2 and chasing Ramos. Reliever Erik Crichton got David Williams to ground out to first, but Pruitt took second on the play. Pruitt then scored the decisive run as Jose Gil lined a single into right.

Ortiz (1-0) sent the Tigers down in order in the ninth to secure the victory.

Oneonta remained a half-game behind Lowell and Vermont for first place in the Stedler Division. The Tigers resume their series with the Yankees tonight.

http://www.thedailystar.com/sports/2007/07/31/13-otigs-310.html

O-Tigers run out of steam in 4-2 loss

Staff Report

The Oneonta Tigers couldn’t finish what Chris Carlson started Tuesday in a 4-2 New York-Penn League loss at Staten Island.

With the Tigers trailing, 4-1, Carlson led off the ninth inning with a home run to center field off Jonathan Ortiz. After yielding Carlson’s eighth homer this season, the Yankees reliever sent the next three Oneonta batters down in order to earn his sixth save this season.

Ortiz, who replaced Craig Heyer at the start of the ninth, struck out Casper Wells, got Devin Thomas to fly out to center, then erased Kody Kaiser with a groundout to first to end it. Oneonta’s loss guaranteed the Tigers would not win a series for the first time since losing two of three games against Hudson Valley, from July 7-9. The Tigers had won six consecutive series before starting their three-game set at Staten Island on Monday. Oneonta lost, 3-2, in Monday’s series opener. The two teams close their series tonight. Oneonta then hosts a three-game set starting Thursday against the Brooklyn Cyclones.

Oneonta (23-18) fell into third place in the Stedler Division, 1 1/2 games behind the first-place Vermont Lake Monsters (24-16) and a half-game behind the Lowell Spinners (23-17).

Carlson helped Oneonta to a 1-0 lead in the fourth with a leadoff single to left. He took second on a passed ball with one out and scored when Jorge Patino grounded a single into right.

The Yankees (23-17), second in the McNamara Division, tied it in the bottom half of the inning on an RBI single by Matt Morris.

Braedyn Pruitt chased Oneonta starter Guillermo Moscoso in the fifth with a two-run homer to right. Moscoso (4-1), who was replaced by Collin Mahoney, walked Damon Sublett to start the bottom of the fifth.

Mahoney threw two innings of hitless relief, walking one and striking out none, before Chris Homer took over in the seventh. Homer gave up back-to-back doubles to Taylor Holiday and Sublett, the latter giving Staten Island a 4-1 lead.

Carlson finished 3-for-4 for Oneonta, which received a 2-for-3 effort from Justin Henry.

http://www.thedailystar.com/sports/2007/08/01/11-otigs-010.html

Tigers end on a high note

Staff Report

Better late than never for the Oneonta Tigers. Casper Wells and Kody Kaiser hit back-to-back home runs to lead off the top of the 11th inning Wednesday for Oneonta, which won the finale of a three-game New York-Penn League series at the Staten Island Yankees, 4-2.

Staten Island reliever Jeffrey Livek replaced Kyle Hollander at the start of the 11th, then gave up Wells' tiebreaking homer on a line drive to left field.

Kaiser followed with a liner over the rightcenter field fence to cap the scoring.

Jorge Patino and Justin Henry contributed singles in the 11th, but Staten Island (23-17) got out of the inning without further damage when Ronnire Bourquin g r o u n d e d into a double play.

O n e o n t a closer Noah Krol sent the Yankees down in order in the bottom of the 11th for his team-best ninth save of the season. Krol, who replaced Erik Crichton, got Justin Snyder to pop out to shortstop Patino in foul territory, Taylor Holiday to ground out to second baseman Henry, and Christopher Raber to fly out to center fielder Kyle Peter.

Crichton, who took over in the ninth inning, improved to 3-0 after throwing two complete innings. He faced one over the minimum, allowing Austin Krum to reach base on a throwing error by Patino.

Bourquin gave Oneonta a 1-0 lead in the third with an RBI double. Staten Island went ahead, 2-1, in the sixth. Jose Gil homered to left off Oneonta reliever Jose Fragoso, who allowed a triple to center by Austin Krum. Fragoso then balked in Krum.

Bourquin's RBI single in the seventh tied the score at 2 for Oneonta, which starts a three-game set at Damaschke Field at 7 tonight against the Brooklyn Cyclones.

Bourquin and Henry each went 3-for-6 to pace the Tigers. Oneonta avoided a sweep by the Yankees with Wednesday's victory.

The Tigers (23-18) are two games behind the Vermont Lake Monsters for first place in the Stedler Division. Oneonta also is one game behind the Lowell Spinners for second in the Stedler.

http://www.thedailystar.com/sports/2007/08/02/otigers.html

O-Tigers’ offense struggles

By Rob Centorani

Staff Writer

ONEONTA _ Call it tentative or uncomfortable, whatever.

Oneonta simply didn’t seem very comfortable at the plate most of the night against a quartet of Brooklyn Cyclones pitchers as the Tigers lost, 5-2, on Thursday in a New York-Penn League game before 2,257 fans at Damaschke Field.

Sure, the O-Tigers had 10 hits and hit a few balls hard, but the handful of check swings and multitude of defensive ones were proof they didn’t play well on offense.

"I got the impression we weren’t very good tonight, offensively," said O-Tigers manager Andy Barkett, whose team has lost three of its last four games. "We swung the bats OK, but that doesn’t necessarily mean you played a good game, offensively.

"We didn’t lose this game because we didn’t homers or the things you see on SportsCenter," he continued. "We lost this game because we didn’t do the little things. We didn’t move runners over and we didn’t get guys in from third base with less than two outs."

The other factor that hurt Oneonta on this night was a four-run first inning by Brooklyn off losing pitcher Sean Finefrock (2-3). It wasn’t an inning that featured Cyclones hitters pounding balls to all parts of the park but more about finding holes.

The inning started with Micah Schilling hitting a bouncer to the right side of the infield that just eluded diving second baseman Justin Henry in shallow right. Jacob Eigsti followed with a liner that had just enough air to get over the glove of leaping shortstop Jorge Patino.

Finefrock then walked No. 3 hitter Lucas Duda to load the bases. Justin Jacobs’ bouncer down the third-base line resulted in a two-run double. Will Vogil hit a grounder toward third baseman Ron Bourquin that took a wicked hop on the seam between the infield the grass and dirt and bounced over Bourquin for an RBI single, and Brandon Kawal’s one-out grounder to third scored the inning’s fourth run.

"You don’t have to crush balls to get a four-run inning," Barkett said. "They made enough contact to get a four-run inning and we didn’t make plays. It doesn’t really matter how you get them. I don’t really give a damn if it’s five errors and they score runs or a grand slam, a four-running is a four-run inning."

The O-Tigers got two runs back in the third.

Jorge Patino reached on an infield hit to third off Brooklyn starter Nick Waechter and went to second on Kyle Peter’s groundout to second. Patino scored on a single to center by Justin Henry, who stole second and advanced to third on a throwing error by catcher Jacobs.

After Bourquin struck out looking, Cody Carlson hit a broken-bat single off the end of the bat into shallow right-center to score Henry.

After Kody Kaiser singled, Steven Cheney relieved Waechter and shut the O-Tigers down over the next 3 1/3 innings. He struck out Cory Middleton on three pitches to end the third and finished with six strikeouts and no walks.

The only hard-hit ball of winning pitcher Cheney (2-3) came on a two-out double to left-center by Casper Wells with two outs in the sixth inning. Cheney came back to strikeout Angel Flores looking.

Oneonta had a chance for a big inning in the seventh, when Patino singled off side-arming left-hander Grady Henchman and Peter was hit by a pitch to start the inning.

The Tigers had their Nos. 2, 3 and 4 hitters coming up, but the rally quickly fizzled.

Henry quickly fell into an 0-2 hole and after fouling a ball off, he swung weakly at a ball in the dirt. Bourquin started his at-bat with a check swing, then fouled a ball off before a tentative swing on an inside fastball for a strikeout. Carlson ended the threat by popping out to the catcher.

In the eighth, Kaiser led off with a double to left-center and moved to third on Middleton’s groundout. Wells then fell behind 0-2 before striking out on an outside pitch in the dirt and Flores grounded out to short.

Again in the ninth, Oneonta threatened, this time off William Morgan.

Patino started it with a walk and went to second on Peter’s infield hit, a high chopper between home and third. A wild pitch moved the runners to second and third before Henry hit a shallow fly to left.

Bourquin walked to load the bases, but Carlson popped to second and Kaiser grounded to third to end it.

"I’m guilty of saying we didn’t get the big hit," Barkett said. "Well, we didn’t get the little hits, either."

The McNamara Division-leading Cyclones (29-13) have the best record in the NY-Penn and league’s lowest team ERA at 2.60, heading into Thursday’s game.

"They’re leading the league in pitching for a reason. It’s not luck," Barkett said. "But I didn’t think the guys they had tonight were unhittable. I think they made quality pitches and we didn’t make quality swings."

Barkett, whose 24-19 team is in third place in the Stedler Division, 1 1/2 games behind division-leading Vermont, added: "If you want to just play out the season and pad your numbers and be selfish, then it doesn’t matter how you play or who you play against. If you want to win a championship, you’ve got to execute and it doesn’t matter if it’s the best team in the league or the worst team in the league."

The teams play the second game of a three-game series at 7 p.m. tonight.

http://www.thedailystar.com/sports/2007/08/03/13-otigs-08031.html

Tigers down Brooklyn in 10 innings

Staff Report

The Oneonta Tigers scored the winning run in the 10th without the benefit of a hit to beat the Brooklyn Cyclones, 3-2, Friday in a New York-Penn League game at Damaschke Field.

Justin Henry walked off losing pitcher Josh Appell to start the inning. Henry moved to second on a wild pitch by Appell and advanced to third on fly out to left.

After an intentional walk to Chris Carlson, Henry scored on Appell’s second wild pitch of the inning.

Ronnie Bourquin had three of the Tigers’ five hits and scored two runs.

Erik Crichton (4-0) pitched a scoreless 10th to get the victory.

The Tigers (25-19) remained 1 1/2 games behind the Vermont Lake Monsters (26-17) for first place in the NY-Penn’s Stedler Division.

The Lowell Spinners (25-18) are one game behind Vermont.

Although Brooklyn fell to 29-14, the Cyclones lead the McNamara Division by five games over Staten Island.

Oneonta’s victory evened the three-game series between the teams at 1. They’ll close out the series at 7 p.m. Saturday at Damaschke Field.

Starting Sunday, the Tigers will play six straight games on the road. Oneonta then will start a three-game series at Damaschke Field against the Williamsport Crosscutters.

http://www.thedailystar.com/sports/2007/08/04/c3-otigers-040.html

Tigers pound Lowell

Staff Report

Six consecutive singles in a seven-run second inning helped the Oneonta Tigers to an 18-7 New York-Penn League thumping of the host Lowell Spinners in front of 5,030 fans Sunday night.

Right fielder Casper Wells doubled and tripled in a 4-for-7 effort and scored three runs for the Tigers, who leapfrogged Lowell for second place in the Stedler Division. Oneonta, which took an 18-0 lead after its at-bats in the sixth inning, improved to 26-20. The Tigers are a half-game ahead of Lowell (25-20) and trail division leader Vermont (27-18) by 1 1/2 games.

Oneonta, which started a five-game road trip Sunday, plays Lowell tonight before traveling to the Auburn Doubledays for a three-game set. The Tigers return home Friday, when they open a three-game homestand against the Williamsport Crosscutters. The NY-Penn schedule then will take a three-day All-Star break from Aug. 13-15.

The host Lake Monsters remained in first with a 5-0 victory Sunday over the Tri-City ValleyCats (14-30). Tri-City, the last-place team in the Stedler Division, is 12 1/2 games out of first.

Wells and Ronnie Bourquin doubled in the first inning, the latter giving the Tigers a 1-0 lead against Lowell starter Felix Doubront (0-1).

Kyle Peter opened the decisive second with a bunt-single and moved to second on a groundout by Adrian Casanova. After Jorge Patino walked, Kody Kaiser, Justin Henry, Wells, Chris Carlson, Bourquin and Cory Middleton singled for a 6-0 Oneonta lead. Carlson made it 7-0 when he scored from third on a fielder’s choice by Peter. Bourquin was forced out at third on the play.

Casanova then singled in Middleton from second to cap the scoring in the second.

Oneonta rallied for three runs with one out in the third. Kaiser reached on a fielding error before Henry struck out swinging. Wells then tripled and Carlson followed with a shot to right field for his ninth homer of the season.

Carlson’s bases-loaded single in the fourth drove in two runs to put the Tigers ahead, 13-0. Carlson hit one of four Oneonta singles in the fourth.

Kaiser drove in Peter with a sacrifice fly in the fifth, and Oneonta followed with a four-run sixth for an 18-0 lead. Ryan Seawell doubled with one out for the Tigers’ only hit in the sixth as Oneonta scored twice on bases-loaded walks, once on a sacrifice fly by Casanova that was dropped and once on a bases-loaded wild pitch to Kaiser.

Oneonta starter Guillermo Moscoso (5-1), who threw a perfect game earlier this season, retired his first 10 batters and 16 of his first 17. Carlos Fernandez-Oliva singled with one out in the fourth to break up Moscoso’s bid for another perfect game.

Moscoso also allowed a single to Aaron Reza and an RBI double to Carlos Fernandez-Oliva in the sixth. Moscoso struck out five and walked none before Collin Mahoney relieved him at the start of the seventh. Mahoney gave up three runs in two-thirds of an inning. Jose Fragoso got the final out in the seventh, then yielded three unearned runs in the eighth.

Carlson and Bourquin each had three hits, and Henry, Seawell, Middleton, Peter and Casanova contributed two apiece for Oneonta, which also got a hit from Kaiser.

http://www.thedailystar.com/sports/2007/08/06/13-otigers-060.html

Tigers sweep Lowell

Staff Report

Casper Wells’ two-run triple snapped a sixth-inning tie to help the Oneonta Tigers to a 4-1 New York-Penn League victory over the host Lowell Spinners on Monday.

The O-Tigers’ two-game sweep of Lowell (25-21) kept them in second place in the Stedler Division at 27-20.

Stedler leader Vermont improved to 28-18 Monday after earning a 2-0 victory over the Tri-City ValleyCats, who are last in the Stedler at 14-31. Vermont won after the game was called in the fifth inning because of fog.

Oneonta starts a three-game series at the Auburn Doubledays at 7:05 tonight, then returns home to Damaschke Field on Friday for a three-game set against the Williamsport Crosscutters.

Kyle Peter opened Oneonta’s sixth with a single to center, and Justin Henry followed with a single to left off losing pitcher Jose Capellan (4-2). Wells then tripled to center to give the Tigers a 3-1 lead, then scored on a groundout to first by Ronnie Bourquin. Wells has five triples this season.

Tigers starter Alfredo Figaro pitched 6 2/3 innings, allowing one run on five hits. He struck out five and walked one in improving to 4-2 this season.

Lowell loaded the bases off Figaro in the seventh on one-out singles by Michael Jones and Pedro Vasquez and a two-out walk to David Marks. Erik Crichton then relieved Figaro and struck out Aaron Reza to end the inning.

Crichton went 1 1/3 innings, allowing one hit and striking out one as his ERA dropped to 1.90. Noah Krol (1.31 ERA) struck out two of the three batters he faced in the ninth inning to earn his 10th save of the season.

The O-Tigers opened the scoring in the third inning. With one out, Capellan hit Jorge Patino with a pitch.

Patino advanced to second on Peter’s groundout to second before Justin Henry reached on an infield hit to short. Patino scored on the play as shortstop Yamaico Navarro threw the ball away.

Jones’ RBI single in the fourth tied the score at 1 for Lowell.

Henry finished 2-for-4 for the O-Tigers to raise his team-leading batting average to .352.

http://www.thedailystar.com/sports/2007/08/07/11-otigers-071.html

O-Tigers rained out

Staff Report

The Oneonta Tigers gained ground in the New York-Penn League’s Stedler Division, and they didn’t even play Tuesday.

Rain postponed Oneonta’s game at the Pinckney Division-leading Auburn Doubledays (28-19), who will host a doubleheader against the Tigers at 6 p.m. today. The combination of the postponement and Vermont’s 9-3 loss Tuesday to the visiting Aberdeen IronBirds (25-22) shaved a half-game off the Lake Monster’s Stedler Division lead.

As a result, Oneonta (27-20) pulled within one game of Vermont (28-19), which continues its three-game home series against Aberdeen at 7:05 tonight.

The Tigers close their three-game series at Auburn at 7:05 p.m. Thursday, then return home for a three-game set against the Williamsport Crosscutters (20-27). Oneonta will host its opener against the Crosscutters at 7 p.m. Friday at Damaschke Field.

The Lowell Spinners (25-22), third in the Stedler Division, remained three games behind Vermont following their 12-2 loss at the State College Spikes on Tuesday.

http://www.thedailystar.com/sports/2007/08/08/13-otigers-080.html

O-Tigers off to good start at Auburn

Staff and Wire Report

Ronnie Bourquin and Kody Kaiser had back-to-back RBI hits in a three-run third inning Wednesday, leading the Oneonta Tigers to a 5-3 New York-Penn League victory at Auburn in the first game of a doubleheader.

The second game was not completed by press time. Rain postponed the Tigers’ series opener at Auburn on Tuesday, resulting in two seven-inning games Wednesday. The two teams complete their three-game set at 7:05 tonight.

Oneonta, which starts a three-game home series against Williamsport at 7 p.m. Friday, took a 1-0 lead on Auburn when Angel Flores lined a one-out single to center to score Bourquin from third in the second inning.

Auburn starter and losing pitcher Kyle Walter (0-5) left in the third inning without getting an out. Kyle Peter led off with a single, moved to second on a balk and took third on a wild pitch before a walk to Justin Henry chased Walter.

Reliever Javier Nieves struck out Casper Wells swinging before Peter was thrown out at home on Chris Carlson’s grounder to third baseman Bradley Emaus. Carlson reached first on the fielder’s choice, and Henry took second on the play to set up Bourquin for an RBI. Bourquin doubled in Henry and moved Carlson to third with a liner to right for a 2-0 lead. Kaiser followed with a two-run single to right for a 4-0 advantage.

Oneonta maintained its four-run cushion until the fifth, when Auburn broke up a no-hit bid by Sean Finefrock. The Oneonta starter threw three perfect innings before Adam Calderone and Victor Santana drew back-to-back walks with one out in the fourth.

Winning pitcher Finefrock (3-3) induced two flyouts to get out of the fourth but yielded a leadoff double to J.P. Arencibia in the fifth. Arencibia took third on a groundout to first by Darin Mastroianni and, after Finefrock hit Shawn Scobee to put runners at the corners, scored when second baseman Justin Henry missed the throw from shortstop Miguel Linares on the front end of a potential double-play ball.

Scobee took third on the miscue, the result of a grounder by Baron Frost. Scobee then cut Auburn’s deficit to 4-2 when he scored on Benjamin Zeskind’s groundout to first.

Bourquin and Kaiser teamed up to help Oneonta score its final run in the seventh. Bourquin led off with a double to right and Kaiser followed with a single to left to put runners at second and third. Bourquin then came home on Michael Sullivan’s sacrifice fly to center.

Oneonta reliever Jose Fragoso replaced Finefrock with one out and a runner at first in the seventh. Fragoso allowed an RBI double to Scobee, the first batter he faced, before striking out C.J. Ebarb and Zeskind to end it. Fragoso earned his second save this season.

Finefrock struck out four, walked two and allowed three runs _ two earned _ on two hits.

Peter finished 3-for-4 for the O-Tigers, who received 2-for-3 efforts from Bourquin and Kaiser.

The Tigers (28-20) remained one game behind the Vermont Lake Monsters (29-19) for the Stedler Division lead. Vermont rallied for two runs in the bottom of the ninth to beat the visiting Aberdeen Ironbirds, 5-4.

Pinckney Division leader Auburn fell to 28-20 following its opening loss to Oneonta.

The Brooklyn Cyclones, who lead the McNamara Division, improved to a NY-Penn-best 32-15 after downing host Mahoning Valley, 2-0, in the first game of their doubleheader. The second game was not completed by press time.

O-Tigers graduates

homer off Pedro

Former Oneonta Tigers outfielders Justin Justice and Deik Scram homered for the Single-A Lakeland Flying Tigers off rehabbing Mets starter Pedro Martinez on Wednesday.

Justice homered to right with one out in the second inning to put Lakeland ahead, 2-0, and Scram made it 3-1 with a leadoff homer to right in the third.

"Those kids kept it real for me," three-time Cy Young Award winner Martinez said of Justice and Scram. "I was working on my sinkers tonight and they hurt me on sinkers both times."

Justice hit his sixth homer of the season and Scram hit his second for Lakeland, which beat the St. Lucie Mets, 9-6. Martinez, who made his first start this season Wednesday, took the loss after allowing five earned runs on six hits in three innings. Martinez, who struck out five and walked none, has an ERA of 15.00.

Justice played for Oneonta in 2004 and 2005, the latter season highlighted by a promotion to the Single-A West Michigan Whitecaps. He had five home runs in 419 at-bats for the O-Tigers.

Scram hit two homers for the O-Tigers last season, when he batted .281 (66-for-235).

http://www.thedailystar.com/sports/2007/08/09/13-otigs-090.html

O-Tigers’ streak snapped at four

Staff Report

J.P. Arencibia’s three-run homer with two out in the third inning proved to be the decisive shot in the Auburn Doubledays’ 8-2 New York-Penn League victory over the visiting Oneonta Tigers on Thursday.

Arencibia’s drive to left gave the Doubledays a 4-0 lead off losing pitcher Sendy Vasquez (3-5), who gave up six runs on five hits, walked six and struck out five over 3 2/3 innings.

The loss ended Oneonta’s four-game winning streak, which included a doubleheader sweep of Auburn on Wednesday night. The O-Tigers, who completed a 4-1 road trip, return home for a three-game series against the Williamsport Crosscutters, beginning at 7 p.m. tonight at Damaschke Field.

Second-place Oneonta (29-21), which was held to three hits, remained a half-game behind Stedler Division-leading Vermont (29-20), which lost, 9-4, to Aberdeen on Thursday.

Auburn scored once off Vasquez in the second inning. Brad Emaus walked and advanced to third on a wild pitch. Arencibia’s RBI single made it 1-0.

In the third, Victor Santana walked with one out before Manuel Rodriguez singled to center. After a forceout, Arencibia’s third homer of the season made it 4-0.

The Doubledays scored two more in the runs in the fourth. The inning included a throwing error by catcher Angel Flores, two wild pitches by Vasquez and an RBI single by Santana.

Oneonta went hitless against winning pitcher Luis Perez (2-4) until scoring twice in the sixth. Casper Wells led off with a walk and, after Chris Carlson struck out, advanced to second on a passed ball. Ronnie Bourquin, who stranded five runners in his first two at-bats, then singled to left to put runners at the corners. Cory Middleton followed with an RBI double to right.

Drew Taylor relieved Perez and allowed back-to-back walks to Ryan Seawell and Flores, forcing home Bourquin to make it 6-2. Taylor came back to strike out Jorge Patino and got Kody Kaiser to fly to right.

Wednesday’s Late Game

O-Tigers 6, Auburn 5

For the second time this season, the O-Tigers recovered from a deficit of at least four runs in their last at-bats to win.

Trailing, 5-1, heading into the top of the seventh Wednesday night, Oneonta scored five times to sweep a doubleheader at Auburn. The Tigers won the first game, 5-3. Both games were scheduled for seven innings.

All of Oneonta’s runs in the second game came with two out in the seventh.

Ryan Seawell and Adrian Casanova opened the O-Tigers’ seventh with a singles to right off Ryan Bird. Jorge Patino and Kyle Peter then were each retired on infield popouts.

It appeared Auburn had the victory sewn up when Justin Henry hit a grounder to Doubledays second baseman Wesley Stone, but he mishandled the ball to load the bases.

Losing pitcher Patrick McGuigan relieved Bird and gave up an RBI single to Kody Kaiser, and Chris Carlson followed with a three-run double to center to tie the score at 5.

After Ronnie Bourquin was intentionally walked, Cory Middleton singled to left to score Carlson with the go-ahead run.

Middleton and Carlson also figured prominently in the O-Tigers’ other big rally this season. In a 10-9 victory over Aberdeen on July 27 at Damaschke Field, Oneonta trailed, 9-4, heading into the bottom of the ninth.

The Tigers scored six runs in the ninth, with a triple from Carlson and RBI single by Middleton to end it.

Auburn threatened in the bottom of the seventh Wednesday. Adam Calderone walked to lead off against Rudy Darrow, who then struck out Victor Santana.

Darrow then induced Manuel Rodriguez to ground to shortstop Jorge Patino, who mishandled it for an error that allowed Calderone to reach third.

Noah Krol relieved Darrow and got Baron Frost to pop out to Patino and C.J. Ebarb to line out to second baseman Henry to end it. Krol earned his 11th save of the season.

Henry, Kaiser, Carlson and Bourquin all had two hits for Oneonta. Chris Homer (1-0) pitched two innings of hitless relief to earn his first victory of the season.

http://www.thedailystar.com/sports/2007/08/10/15-otigers-101.html

Tigers trickle into 1st

Staff Report

Every cloud has a silver lining. Just ask the Oneonta Tigers.

Although rain postponed the three-game New York-Penn League series opener between Oneonta and the visiting Williamsport Crosscutters on Friday, the Tigers earned a share of the Stedler Division lead when Vermont fell, 2-1, at Batavia.

Tyler Henley of the Muckdogs (19-30) snapped a 1-1 tie with one out in the bottom of the eighth, when he scored from third on a wild pitch by losing pitcher Devin Drag. The Lake Monsters dropped their second game in a row and suffered their third loss in four games. Vermont fell to 29-21, matching the record of idle Oneonta.

The third-place Lowell Spinners (26-24) remained three games out of first place in the Stedler following a 6-5 loss to the visiting Hudson Valley Renegades on Friday.

As a result of Friday’s rainout, the O-Tigers will host Williamsport in a doubleheader that begins at 6 p.m. Saturday at Damaschke Field. Should Oneonta sweep the Crosscutters (21-29), it will take over the Stedler Division lead.

The Tigers and Crosscutters will complete their three-game set at 6 p.m. Sunday, before the NY-Penn takes a three-day break for its All-Star Game.

Third baseman Ronnie Bourquin, second baseman Justin Henry, first baseman Chris Carlson, outfielder Casper Wells, and pitchers Guillermo Moscoso and Noah Krol will represent the O-Tigers in Tuesday’s NY-Penn All-Star Game.

The six Oneonta All-Stars will represent the American League, which plays the NY-Penn’s National League affiliates at 7:35 p.m. Tuesday at Hudson Valley.

http://www.thedailystar.com/sports/2007/08/11/c1-otigs-110.html

O-Tigers sweep Crosscutters

Staff Report

Mark Brackman scattered seven hits over six innings as the Oneonta Tigers won the first game of a doubleheader Saturday with a 5-1 victory over the visiting Williamsport Crosscutters.

The O-Tigers completed the sweep with a 4-1 victory in the second game. Both games were seven innings.

Brackman (2-2) allowed one run, striking out six and walking two. Erik Crichton worked a perfect seventh.

Oneonta’s sweep, coupled with Vermont’s 6-3 loss to Batavia, gave the Tigers a 1 1/2-game lead in the New York-Penn League’s Stedler Division. Oneonta and Vermont entered Saturday tied atop the division.

Chris Carlson went 1-for-2 with three RBIs to lead the O-Tigers. Mike Sullivan and Justin Henry contributed two hits apiece.

Oneonta opened the scoring in the top of the first when Kyle Peter walked and went to second on Henry’s single to left. Casper Wells then flew out, moving Peter to third. Williamsport pitcher Joe Savery, the first-round pick for the Philadelphia Phillies in this year’s draft, threw a wild pitch, allowing Henry to move to second. Carlson followed with a groundout to short, scoring Peter.

The O-Tigers made it 3-0 in the third.

Miguel Linares walked and went to second when Peter grounded out to first. Henry singled to left, putting runners on first and third. Wells reached on a fielding error by Williamsport second baseman Tyler Mach, scoring Linares and moving Henry to second. After Henry stole third, Carlson singled to left to score Henry.

After the Crosscutters made it 3-1 in the top of the fifth on a sacrifice fly from Matthew Spencer, Oneonta scored two more in the bottom of the inning.

Peter singled and Henry walked to put runners on first and second. Wells then singled to load the bases. Carlson walked to force Peter home and Bourquin hit a sacrifice fly to left, scoring Henry.

O-Tigers 4, Williamsport 1

Bourquin went 2-for-3 and Henry had two RBIs to lead Oneonta in the second game.

Guillermo Moscoso (6-1) pitched five innings, allowing one run on one hit. He struck out six and walked none. Jose Fragoso pitched the sixth, striking out one and allowing one hit and one walk. Noah Krol pitched the seventh, striking out two and walking one to earn his 12th save of the season.

The Crosscutters scored in the first on an RBI double from Tyler Mach to make it 1-0.

Oneonta tied it in the bottom of the inning on a run-scoring groundout from Justin Henry. The Tigers then took the lead for good in the second.

Kody Kaiser singed to center and, after Ryan Seawell struck out swinging, Kaiser stole his 12th base this season. Flores struck out looking, but Jorge Patino followed with an RBI single to right.

The O-Tigers scored their final two runs in the fourth.

Seawell led off with a double and Flores walked. Yen-Feng Lin relieved starter Jarrod Freeman and Patino reached on a throwing error by Lin. Seawell scored on the play as Flores went to third. Lin intentionally walked Peter to load the bases. Henry’s sacrifice fly to left made it 4-1.

http://www.thedailystar.com/sports/2007/08/13/15_otigs-sat_133.html

O-Tigers finish off Williamsport, 9-8

By P.J. Harmer

Staff Writer

ONEONTA _ With fair season in full swing, it seemed fitting that the Oneonta Tigers and Williamsport Crosscutters staged their own version of a demolition derby at Damaschke Field on Sunday night.

Oneonta’s Mike Sullivan delivered the final blow when he tripled home Cory Middleton in the bottom of the seventh inning as the Tigers held on for a 9-8 victory over Williamsport in front of 575 fans.

"It was a good win," said Oneonta manager Andy Barkett, whose team improved to 32-21. "These guys don’t get down. They believe in themselves and when things go wrong, they show the ability to turn it around. We’re playing pretty well right now."

The O-Tigers hold a 1 1/2 game lead over Vermont in the New York-Penn League’s Stedler Division. The Lake Monsters (30-22) beat Batavia, 10-4, Sunday afternoon. Both teams have off the next three days for the annual All-Star Game, which will be held at Hudson Valley on Tuesday. Six O-Tigers _ Justin Henry, Ronnie Bourquin, Casper Wells, Chris Carlson, Guillermo Moscoso and Noah Krol _ are on the American League team.

"Hopefully it will give (the team) some well-deserved rest," Barkett said of the break. "It’s nice to have a couple of days to refuel your batteries. I don’t think they’ll lose their rhythm and it’s our job (the coaching staff) to make sure the intensity is there after the break."

Oneonta and Williamsport combined Sunday for 17 runs, 19 hits and four errors _ and each team had at least one big offensive inning. The Crosscutters eliminated a 5-0 deficit with a seven-run fifth inning, only to see Oneonta take the lead back with three runs in the bottom of the inning.

With the score tied at 8 entering the bottom of the seventh, Williamsport pitcher Christopher Kissock got Carlson and Bourquin to fly out to start the inning. Cory Middleton then hit a sharp grounder to short, but Phillip Cuevas couldn’t handle it and Middleton reached on an error. Sullivan then hit a 2-0 pitch to deep center for a triple, easily getting it over the head of center fielder Dominic Brown, who was playing slightly shallow and couldn’t get back to it.

"I got a hitter’s count and we had a guy on first, so I knew I needed an extra base hit to score him," said Sullivan, who finished a home run shy of the cycle in a 3-for-3 night. "I had to get offensive. I almost thought it was going to line to the center fielder, but he was in shallow and it got over his head."

Winning pitcher Rudy Darrow (1-3) and Noah Krol combined on three innings of scoreless relief. Darrow pitched the seventh and eighth innings and Krol closed out the ninth for his league-leading 13th save.

Oneonta got the early advantage in the first. Kyle Peter walked, stole second and moved to third when Henry grounded out to second. Peter scored on Wells’ double to make it 1-0.

The Tigers scored four more in the fourth. Wells singled to lead it off, but Carlson flew out to center for the first out. Wells then stole second and Bourquin walked to put runners on first and second.

Middleton, who struck out his first at-bat, hit the first pitch he saw over the left-field wall to make it 4-0.

"I was looking for anything over the plate to drive," said Middleton, who said the pitch from Sergio Escalona was a change-up. "I was looking for it. That’s what he struck me out on, so I sat back, looked for something over the plate and he put it right where I wanted it."

Sullivan followed with a double to left and Adrian Casanova was hit by a pitch. After Peter walked to load the bases, Henry singled to right, scoring Sullivan. Casanova was thrown out at the plate by right fielder Matt Spencer.

Williamsport erased the deficit with seven runs in the fifth. The Crosscutters had four hits in the inning, including a two-run double from Brown and RBI singles from Derrick Mitchell and Spencer.

Oneonta didn’t seem to lose a step coming into the bottom of the fifth. Wells, who was also a homer shy of the cycle, led off with a triple to right-center and scored on a Joseph Rocchio’s wild pitch. Carlson then singled and Bourquin walked. A passed ball by catcher Timothy Kennelly moved each runner up a base.

After Middleton struck out, Sullivan had a seven-pitch at-bat. On the seventh, he hit a grounder up the middle that second baseman Adam Sorgi grabbed behind second base. Sullivan beat the throw to first and Carlson scored to tie it at 7. Bourquin moved to third on the play. He scored when Kody Kaiser grounded out to second.

"We have confidence that if we get down, we can pick each other up," said Wells, who finished 3-for-4. "I just want to stay in first. It’s ours to lose. We have a taste of it and I feel we can stay there."

Williamsport tied it at 8 in the sixth when Cuevas tripled and scored on Brown’s single.

http://www.thedailystar.com/sports/2007/08/14/13-otigers-132.html

Krol saves AL in NY-Penn All-Star Game

Staff Report

Thanks in part to a pair of teammates, Oneonta’s Noah Krol had the chance to put the finishing touches on the New York-Penn League All-Star Game at Hudson Valley on Tuesday night.

Krol retired the National League’s side in order during the top of the ninth inning, earning the save as the American League won, 6-4.

Teammates Casper Wells and Chris Carlson were two big reasons why Krol, who leads the league with 13 saves, had the chance.

Wells’ sacrifice fly tied the score at 4 in the bottom of the eighth, and Carlson’s two-out single put the AL ahead for good.

The AL then turned the ball over to Krol, who got State College’s Nicholas Stillwagon to fly out to left on two pitches for the first out. Batavia’s Andrew Brown then grounded out to Krol’s Oneonta teammate Ronnie Bourquin at third, and State College’s Justin Byler struck out swinging on four pitches to end it.

Byler, who played the full game as the designated hitter, finished with two hits and two RBIs for the NL team.

Six O-Tigers represented the AL All-Stars. Guillermo Moscoso, who threw a perfect game earlier this season and is 6-1 overall, started on the mound. He pitched one inning, striking out two and allowing two runs on two hits and two walks.

Carlson played the entire game as the DH for the AL, finishing 1-for-3. He also struck out once.

Wells went 0-for-1 with his sacrifice fly. Bourquin flew out in his lone at-bat, and Justin Henry, who started at second base, finished 0-for-2.

The NL took a 4-3 lead into the bottom of the eighth.

Lowell’s Yamaico Navarro led off with a single to left before Bourquin flew out. The NL then brought in Tri-City’s Jason Dominquez to pitch, and Navarro stole second base. Aberdeen’s Joseph Nowicki singled to right to put runners on first and third.

Wells followed, flying out to right to bring home Navarro as the tying run. Auburn’s Manuel Rodriguez then singled to put runners on first and second.

Carlson worked a 3-0 count before singling to left field, scoring Nowicki for a 5-4 lead. Mahoning Valley’s Jansy Infante then singled to center, scoring Rodriguez from second to make it 6-4.

Oneonta (32-21), which leads the Stedler Division by 1 1/2 games over Vermont, is off today before visiting Tri-City at 7 p.m. Thursday. The O-Tigers return home for a 7 p.m. game against the ValleyCats on Friday.

Detroit signs

first-round pick

DETROIT (AP) "" The Detroit Tigers and first-round draft pick Rick Porcello reached agreement Tuesday on a four-year contract worth $7.28 million.

The 6-foot-5 righty from New Jersey pitched for the nation’s top-ranked high school team and was among the most touted prospects in the country. Represented by Scott Boras, Porcello was picked No. 27 overall in the June draft.

This year, under a new baseball rule, draft picks have until today to agree on deals. After that, they are not eligible to sign.

http://www.thedailystar.com/sports/2007/08/15/13-nypenn-150.html

O-Tigers routed by Tri-City

Staff Report

The Oneonta Tigers fell hard in their first New York-Penn League game since the All-Star break as the host Tri-City ValleyCats earned a 10-1 victory in front of 3,497 fans Thursday night.

Shortstop Jorge Patino had two of the eight hits for the O-Tigers, who took their only lead on Michael Sullivan’s RBI groundout that scored Christopher Carlson in the fourth inning.

Tri-City responded with two runs in the bottom frame, going ahead for good when Russell Dixon hit a two-run double with none out off losing pitcher Guillermo Moscoso (6-2), the starting pitcher for the American League All-Stars in their 6-4 win Tuesday against the National League at Hudson Valley.

Collin DeLome’s two-run homer off Moscoso in the fifth gave Tri-City a 4-1 lead, and the ValleyCats followed with a six-run sixth.

Moscoso struck out eight, walked one and allowed four earned runs as his ERA rose to 2.49.

Despite losing to the last-place team in the Stedler Division, the Tigers (32-22) remained in first, 1 1/2 games in front of the Vermont Lake Monsters (30-23).

Vermont fell, 7-3, at the Lowell Spinners (29-24), who pulled within 2 1/2 games of Oneonta.

The Tigers host Tri-City at 7 tonight at Damaschke Field.

http://www.thedailystar.com/sports/2007/08/17/13-otigs-170.html

Flashes suspend O-Tigers at home

Staff Report

Fortunately for the Oneonta Tigers, lightning struck harder than the Tri-City ValleyCats on Friday night at Damaschke Field.

Tri-City, the last-place team in the New York-Penn League’s Stedler Division, scored two runs for a 5-4 lead and had runners at the corners with none out in the top of the fourth inning before lightning suspended its meeting with division frontrunner Oneonta.

Tigers starter Sean Finefrock walked designated hitter Jared Pitts to open the fourth, then gave up a double to right field by first baseman Alberto Cruz.

Catcher Sal Iacono then lined a single into left to tie the score and put runners at first and third. T-C leadoff batter and second baseman Matthew Cusick followed with an RBI grounder to Oneonta first baseman Ryan Seawell, who threw to second in an attempt to force out Iacono.

Seawell’s throw sailed into left field, allowing Cruz to score the go-ahead run and resetting a first-and-third situation for the ValleyCats.

The game stopped at 8:13 p.m., when lightning flashed just before T-C shortstop Craig Corrado stepped into the batters’ box.

O-Tigers official scorer Tom Heitz said the teams attempted to wait out the impending storm before the game was suspended at 8:50 p.m.

The nine-inning game will resume with Corrado at the plate, Iacono at third and Cusick at first at 6 p.m. Sunday, when Oneonta and Tri-City return to Damaschke Field to complete a home-and-home three-game series.

Sunday’s regularly scheduled game will follow and is slated for seven innings, Heitz said.

The ValleyCats will host the O-Tigers at 7 p.m. Saturday as well.

Oneonta took a 2-0 lead on four hits in the first inning Friday before Tri-City cut its deficit with a run in the second. The Tigers scored two more on three hits and an error in the third, but the ValleyCats countered with two runs off Finefrock in the bottom frame.

The Tigers (32-22) entered Friday with a 1 1/2-game lead on second-place Vermont, while fourth-place Tri-City brought a 17-34 record _ 13 1/2 games back _ to Damaschke Field. Vermont fell, 3-1, at Lowell on Friday, resulting in a two-way tie for second in the Stedler as the Lake Monsters and the Spinners each moved to 30-24 _ two games behind Oneonta.

After Sunday’s games, Oneonta will host Vermont on Monday and Tuesday before visiting Brooklyn for a three-game set. The Tigers start a five-game homestand Aug. 25, beginning with three against Hudson Valley and followed by two against Lowell. Oneonta closes the month with two games at Vermont.

http://www.thedailystar.com/sports/2007/08/18/c1-otigers-180.html

Tigers split at home

By Courtney A. Erickson

Contributing Writer

ONEONTA _ Cory Middleton took advantage of Damaschke Field’s large playing surface to help the Oneonta Tigers win a suspended game Sunday night.

Middleton hit a two-hop triple off the left-field wall and scored one batter later, on Ryan Seawell’s line-single, as the Tigers edged Tri-City, 8-7, before 415 fans in the first game of a doubleheader.

"(Middleton) doesn’t really run all that fast," said Oneonta manager Andy Barkett, whose team dropped Sunday’s second game, 6-5. "He juiced that ball pretty good and drove the ball deep into the gap. It’s a long way out there and he legged it out. (It’s a) heck of a job. He’s a smart baserunner."

Sunday’s doubleheader came about when the first game, which started Friday, was suspended by lightning with none out in the top of the fourth and Tri City ahead, 5-4.

Erik Crichton, who replaced Friday’s starter, Sean Finefrock, entered Sunday’s opener with Sal Iacono at third and Matthew Cusick at first. Crichton got Craig Corrado to hit into a fielder’s choice to shortstop Jorge Patino, who threw to Justin Henry for a forceout at second as Iacono scored for a 6-4 lead.

Corrado stole second before colliding with Patino’s left leg. Cat Everett took over for Corrado, who left the game after the collision, and scored on Brandon Barnes’ broken-bat, RBI single to right.

Tri-City original starter Thomas Vessella was also replaced, lifted by manager Pete Rancont in favor of

T-C pitcher Carlos Ladeuth, who took over for Thomas Vessella, also struggled.

Ladeuth allowed an infield single up the middle by Patino before Michael Sullivan placed a bunt 10 feet in front of the plate and beat the pitcher’s late throw to first base.

Ladeuth then loaded the bases with a wide throw to first on Justin Henry’s bunt. Casper Wells cut Oneonta’s deficit to 7-5 with an RBI groundout to second, and Carlson tied it with a two-run double down the right-field line.

Middleton helped break the tie in the seventh with his leadoff triple, his second of the season. With the infield in, Seawell grounded through the right side of a drawn-in infield to drive in the decisive run.

Reliever Rudy Darrow (2-3) earned the pitching victory by allowing one hit over 2 1/3 innings.

Barkett went to closer Noah Krol for a four-out save after Darrow retired Iacono and Cusick to lead off the top of the eighth.

"When he gets the ball, he’s ready to compete," Barkett said of Krol. "He’s got ice-water in his veins. He’s got a pretty good out-pitch with that slider. Teams have a tough time making adjustments with it."

Krol earned his league-leading 14th save the hard way, allowing back-to-back singles to DeLome and Barnes before striking out Russell Dixon, Charlie Gamble and Jared Pitts to end it.

Ladeuth (0-4) allowed four runs on seven hits in three innings.

ValleyCats 6, O-Tigers 5

Sullivan was thrown out at home attempting to score the tying run as Tri-City salvaged a split.

After Carlson walked to lead off the bottom of the seventh off Kevin Fox, Sullivan bunted pinch-runner Seawell into a fielder’s choice out at second.

Reliever Jason Dominguez came on to strike out Middleton before throwing a wild pitch that moved Sullivan to second. Kaiser’s grounder was then misplayed by first baseman Alberto Cruz. Sullivan attempted to score on the play but was thrown out by second baseman Matthew Cusick to end the game.

Cusick had the winning hit, a two-run single past Kaiser in the top of the sixth off Oneonta starter Mark Brackman.

Wells and Carlson earlier had back-to-back doubles and Sullivan followed with an RBI single in a two-run fifth inning that gave Oneonta a 5-3 lead.

Brackman (2-3) pitched 5 2/3 innings, allowing eight hits and six runs (four earned) with three walks for Stedler Division-leading Oneonta (34-23).

Dominguez struck out one in 2/3 of an inning for his eighth save for Tri-City (18-36).

http://www.thedailystar.com/sports/2007/08/20/13-otigers-202.html

O-Tigers thump ValleyCats, 14-1

Staff Report

Chris Carlson, Kyle Peter, Miguel Linares and Cory Middleton had three hits apiece and drove in a combined eight runs during Oneonta’s 14-1 New York-Penn League rout at Tri-City on Saturday.

Middleton fell a triple shy of the cycle, following a third-inning, RBI double with a lead off single in the fifth and a two-run homer to left in the seventh.

Carlson, who hit RBI singles in the first and fourth innings, capped Oneonta’s five-run fifth with an RBI double off Tri-City reliever Robert Leonhardt. He allowed seven runs _ two earned _ on nine hits in 3 2/3 innings.

Oneonta starter Sendy Vasquez improved to 4-5 this season after allowing one earned run on five hits. Vasquez struck out five and walked two in 5 1/3 innings.

The Tigers finished with 20 hits, their most since amassing 21 in an 18-7 win at Lowell on Aug. 5.

http://www.thedailystar.com/sports/2007/08/20/15-sattig-203.html

Tigers split at home

By Rob Centorani

Staff Writer

ONEONTA _ Behind a six-hitter from right-hander Guillermo Moscoso, the Oneonta Tigers defeated the Vermont Lake Monsters, 4-1, in the second game of a doubleheader Tuesday.

Sloppiness in the field, wildness on the mound and ineffectiveness at the plate all contributed to Oneonta’s 7-3 loss in the first game before 773 fans at Damaschke Field. Both New York-Penn League games went seven innings.

Moscoso improved to 7-2 after his second complete game of the season _ the first coming July 15 at Damaschke Field, where he threw the third perfect game in NY-Penn history in a 6-0 victory against Batavia.

Moscoso, who struck out six and walked none Tuesday, retired the first 10 batters he faced before allowing a one-out, infield single to short by Dan Lyons. He lowered his ERA to 2.37.

The Stedler Division-leading Tigers (35-24) scored three times in the fifth inning off Alberto Tavarez to take a 4-0 lead.

Justin Henry led off with a walk before Casper Wells hit his seventh triple of the season _ a drive to right-center that one-hopped the fence.

With the infield in, Chris Carlson grounded a double down the third-base line to score Wells for a 3-0 lead. After a wild pitch sent Carlson to third, Kody Kaiser flied to shallow right. Cory Middleton followed with a line single to left to make it 4-0.

The O-Tigers opened the scoring in the third inning. Jorge Patino singled to center to lead off against losing pitcher Colton Willems. Kyle Peter’s sacrifice bunt moved Patino to second, and Peter reached on a throwing error by Willems that allowed Patino to go to third.

Patino scored on Henry’s groundout to second. Henry and Patino each finished with two hits for the O-Tigers.

In the first game, Oneonta had one more hit (five) than errors (four), walked four Lake Monsters and hit two others.

Vermont’s at-bats in the top of the sixth inning best describe the Tigers’ troubles on a cool and overcast August night that felt more like October. The Lake Monsters turned two hits, two errors, a hit batsman and a wild pitch into a three-run inning that extended their lead to 7-2.

After Colin Mahoney retired Craig Stinson on a popout to short to start the inning, No. 9 hitter Anthony Benner hit a double that one-hopped the fence in right. He moved to second on a wild pitch.

Mahoney then walked Boomer Whiting and hit Dan Lyons with a pitch to load the bases.

It looked as if the O-Tigers would get out of the inning when Bill Rhinehart hit a hard liner at second baseman Henry, who gloved it. Henry looked to second, but Whiting didn’t stray too far from the bag. Lyons, however, broke on contact from first and a good throw would have resulted in an inning-ending double play. But Henry’s low throw to the home-plate side of first skipped past first baseman Carlson for an error.

Benner scored on the play, Whiting advanced to third and Lyons went to second.

Another run scored when third baseman Middleton threw high to first on a grounder off the bat of Aaron Seuss as Whiting scored on the play. It was Middleton’s third error of the game. Normally an outfielder, Middleton played third base because regular third baseman Ron Bourquin suffered a concussion after being hit in the face by a pitch in Oneonta’s last series, against Tri-City.

Michael Burgess’ lined single to right scored Lyons with the final run of the inning to make it 7-2.

It appeared as though Vermont would need all of those runs after reliever Martin Beno walked the bases loaded with no outs in the seventh.

But Luke Pister came in and struck out Peter, got Henry to hit a sacrifice fly to left and struck out Wells to end it.

The Lake Monsters scored twice in the first inning off losing pitcher Jose Fragoso (2-3).

Whiting led off with an opposite-field single to right and scored on Lyons’ triple to left-center _ a ball that went over center fielder Peter.

Following a walk to Seuss, Burgess then dropped an RBI single into center field to make it 2-0.

Burgess, who went 3-for-4, started Vermont’s two-run third inning off Luis Gil with a lined single to left. Stephen King then hit a ground-rule double to left-center that sent Burgess to third.

Both runners scored on Stephen Englund’s double to left that dropped just in front of a diving Mike Sullivan. It made the score, 4-0.

The O-Tigers got two runs back in the fourth inning off winning pitcher Adrian Alaniz (7-1). Henry led off with a single up the middle.

After Wells popped out to second, Carlson dropped an opposite-field single into shallow right on a hit-and-run play that sent Henry to third.

Kaiser’s groundout to second scored Wells and Middleton’s soft single to right-center scored Carlson to make it 4-2.

Carlson had two of Oneonta’s five hits.

http://www.thedailystar.com/sports/2007/08/22/13-otigers-220.html

O-Tigers singled out in 4-2 loss

Staff Report

Raul Reyes and Will Vogl opened the fourth and sixth innings with back-to-back singles, setting up the bulk of the Brooklyn Cyclones’ runs Wednesday in a 4-2 New York-Penn League defeat of the visiting Oneonta Tigers.

Although Oneonta fell to 35-24, it still leads the Stedler Division. With 16 games to go in the Tigers’ NY-Penn season, Oneonta holds a one-game lead on second-place Lowell (34-26). The Spinners routed visiting Aberdeen, 11-2, on Wednesday.

Third-place Vermont (32-27) remained 2 1/2 games behind Oneonta as the Lake Monsters fell, 13-2, to visiting Staten Island on Wednesday. Oneonta and Vermont split a doubleheader on Tuesday at Damaschke Field.

The Tigers play the second of three games at Brooklyn, which has won two straight and drew 7,565 fans Wednesday, at 7 tonight.

The McNamara Division leading Cyclones, who own the best record in the NY-Penn at 38-18, took a 1-0 lead in the first inning Wednesday when J.R. Voyles hit a two-out, RBI single off Oneonta starter Sean Finefrock (3-4, 5.44 ERA).

Chris Carlson tied it for Oneonta in the second inning with his 10th home run of the season, a leadoff shot to left-center off winning pitcher Steven Cheney (4-3, 2.60).

Brooklyn produced the go-ahead run in the fourth inning. Reyes and Vogl singled off Finefrock to start it, and each advanced a base on a sacrifice bunt by Matthew Bouchard. Reyes put Brooklyn ahead, 2-1, when he scored from third on a wild pitch by Finefrock.

Reyes and Vogl opened the sixth with back-to-back singles to put runners at first and second, ending Finefrock’s outing. Reliever Rudy Darrow then yielded an RBI single to Bouchard, who drove in Reyes and put runners at the corners.

Ezequiel Carrera followed with a grounder to third baseman Cory Middleton, who threw wildly to second on a forceout attempt. Vogl scored on the play, which left the Cyclones with runners at first and second.

Darrow escaped further damage following a sacrifice bunt by Micah Schilling that moved both runners over as Jason Jacobs lined into a double play. Oneonta second baseman Justin Henry caught the liner, then doubled off Carrera at second with a throw to shortstop Miguel Linares.

Carlson capped the scoring and a 3-for-4 performance at the plate with an RBI double to left off Brooklyn reliever Grady Hinchman in the eighth inning. Carlson’s double scored Henry, who singled with two out and moved to second when Casper Wells was hit by a pitch.

Middleton led off the ninth with a single _ the last of Oneonta’s five hits _ off Eddie Kunz. The Cyclones reliever then struck out Kyle Peter swinging and got Adrian Casanova to ground into a double play to end it and earn his fourth save.

Oneonta returns to Damaschke Field on Saturday to start a five-game homestand. The Tigers will host Hudson Valley the first three nights, followed by a key two-game series against visiting Lowell. Oneonta closes the month with two games at Vermont.

http://www.thedailystar.com/sports/2007/08/23/13-otigs-230.html