Ranger

Elijah Dukes - a model citizen

Sounds like Elijah Dukes is the last person who should be fathering six kids. This is a sad story. The guy needs to be locked up.

He decided to call up the radio station down here yesterday and give his side of the story. You knew this would be good!

He justified his dad killing a man over $100 worth of crack:

When asked about his background, and the fact that his father went to prison for killing someone over a bad $100 crack cocaine deal, Dukes said "if people must know... $100 of crack, you can flip that and get $200. You all need to be more open-minded about the situation"

He also goes on to explain...

Dukes, who has been involved in five incidents with the police in the past, downplayed the events. "How many times have I ever shot someone? How many times have I ever stabbed someone? How many times have I been to jail for brutally beating somebody? Never! I went to jail for breaking a remote control. She said I threw the remote control at her. I never threw it at here. I broke the remote control and went to jail for that. I never hit her and I went to jail." he said.

It's a pretty heated phone call. He's one angry dude. You can listen to it here:

http://www.620wdae.com/cc-common/mainheadlines2.html?feed=122843&article=2284531

Over and under when Dukes faces his first significant jail term?

Around the same time Adam Jones does. IOW, never.

Why is it that Tampa is the bad place he's in, and not himself? Or are you saying because all of his babies and their momma's live there?

The kid is from Florida, though not Tampa Bay. I just think he needs a clean break from his past and as fresh a start as possible. I'm certainly not absolving him from blame, and he could very easily screw up in his new city - Washington was interested, though I don't know if that would be the best fresh start city for him - but I don't think he'll find anything but trouble if he stays in Tampa Bay.

He's from Tampa (he went to Sheff's HS), so it may help him to get out. Who knows. But he was an idiot at every stop in the TB farm system along the way.

I know a bunch of people who went to Hillsborough High School with him, and you'd be amazed at the stories they tell.

One of my friends told me a few years back that there is a 100% chance he ends up with a life sentence in jail. Now I'm seeing why.

I know it will never happen, but I think Sheffield would be a very solid influence on Elijah, as would Jimmy Leyland and the rest of our vets. The kid is tremendously talented, however I don't know if he's ever had any positive role models in his life.

I think Dukes is going to end up the way or Rae Carruth, eventually killing one of his baby's mama's when the six child support checks start devouring his take-home money.

Unfortunately another Hillsborough High School graduate is Doc Gooden.

There was a story in the Tampa papers about how Sheff attempted to have a long talk with Dukes when the Tigers were facing the Rays in a three game set. I don't know what came about from that.

Pacman Jones and Elijah Dukes need to combine entourages.

Do you have any idea how many strip clubs would be destroyed and how many women would be impregnanted. The best thing to do is to keep those two guys as far away from each other as possible.

Sheff probably told Dukes to impregnate as many women as possible and to pass that baseball talent gene along. Gotta help boost the future percentage of blacks in the MLB......

Pacman Jones and Elijah Dukes need to combine entourages.

Tank Johnson probably would want to get in on this. He probably needs some new people since Willie Posey was shot and killed.

Sheff probably told Dukes to impregnate as many women as possible and to pass that baseball talent gene along. Gotta help boost the future percentage of blacks in the MLB......

Dukes, since he is African-American, could not be controlled that easily.

Sheff then told Carlos Pena instead.

Sheffield To Dukes: 'I Just Want To Help'

Skip directly to the full story.

Published: May 29, 2007

http://www.tbo.com/sports/rays/MGBW7ZMR92F.html

ST. PETERSBURG - Elijah Dukes, starting his first game at Tropicana Field since last week's events, received a subdued mixture of cheers and boos when he batted in the first inning Monday.

But someone in the other dugout is pulling for him.

"We all need somebody to help us through our youth," Tigers star - and Tampa native - Gary Sheffield said.

Sheffield knows Dukes. It's more than the Hillsborough High connection. They've worked out together in Tampa in offseasons. They talk now and again, though not about this latest incident. Sheffield said he wants to hear Dukes tell the story, though he won't ask him for it.

"I'm no authority figure, like you've got to listen to me," Sheffield said. "I just want to help him.

"I just don't want it to get out of control," he added. "When you start with the threats and the guns, that can get out of control. If you're talking about arguing with the umpires or something you're later going to regret, all of that can be fixed. … When it starts going a little higher, then it gets a little scary for me and I get nervous."

Sheffield reached the majors at 19, three years younger than Dukes was when he hit the majors this season. Sheffield has had his share of reputations. He has also put up potential Hall of Fame numbers, including the 465th home run of his career Monday.

"It saddens me because it's starting out this way for him," Sheffield said. "When I get the phone calls, and I get them regular about him, it saddens me."

Sheffield's advice?

"He's a homegrown kid. If he gets out in the community and people get to know him here, they'll gravitate to him and love him like they should, then he'll start doing the right things."

Just how desperately do the D-Rays want to get rid of Mr. Dukes?

Just how desperately do the D-Rays want to get rid of Mr. Dukes?

I say we make crack out of him. Buy him for $100 now, work with him for a year, clean him up, and flip him for $200 next year. He can play left until Cam is ready.

isn't he hitting like .190? and the only reason he is still with TB is because Durham will not take him back under any circumstances?

I forsee Mr. Dukes in a Washinton Nationals uniform before it's all said and done this year