Sign in to follow this  
Moonlight Graham

Virgle Trucks did ya know ...

Dt,

I thought the same thing last night.

In the no-hitter at Briggs Stadium no one was at the game due to a Douglass McArthur parade. Well in 1952 there probably weren't many people ever at the game.

Bunning's no-hitter was more impressive than Verlander's. He struck out a cool dozen (just as Justin did) but only walked two.

Both were superior to Morris's no-no.

I can't find box scores for the first three Tigers no-hitters (Mullin's and the two by Trucks).

Bunning's no-hitter was more impressive than Verlander's. He struck out a cool dozen (just as Justin did) but only walked two.

Interesting. On the road at Fenway as well. Boston's record at the time, at 6 games over .500 going into the no-hit game, was very similar to Milwaukee's currently. Bunning got Ted Willliams out 4 times and looks to me like Williams may have been the final out. Have no idea how Boston's offense was that year, if 697 runs in a 154 game season was considered good. By the way, a small clarification - Bunning hit a batter too, so 3 baserunners to Verlander's 4.

Another tidbit I found from the Baseball Page: "On August 2, 1959, Bunning struck out three Red Sox on nine pitches, the first pitcher to do so in more than a decade.". That seems odd to me. If the fact that they were Red Sox is the key variable, I'm surprised that they kept track of such detailed trivia back then. But if it means he was the first in a decade to strike out the side (of any team) on 9 pitches, I'm really surprised that's such a rare feat.