Buddahfan

Who Goofed - I Got To Know

Luis Gonzales

December 28, 1998: Traded by the Detroit Tigers to the Arizona Diamondbacks for Karim Garcia.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/g/gonzalu01.shtml

The Randy Smith era

From 1994 to 2005, the Tigers did not post a winning record. This was by far the longest sub-.500 stretch in franchise history; prior to this, the team had not gone more than four consecutive seasons without a winning record.

Whatever became of Karim, don't call me Abdul-Jabbar, Garcia?

http://www.baseball-reference.com/g/garcika01.shtml

he bounced around, had one decent year for Cleveland and then disappeared. I dont think he's played at the Major League level in the last 2 years or so, but I didnt look that up.

Luis Gonzalez really wasnt anything real special until we got rid of him, and I've read reports in the past suggesting that he wasnt fond of playing for Detroit. Smith probably could have gotten more than just Garcia in a trade though.

There was a fair amount of speculation that Luis was on the gas...juiced...using the gear..roided out...during his best years. But then,that's probably tru of just about anyone who strung a few decent years together in the mid to late 1990's

He did go from avg to in the race for HR lead. But hard to say if he was juiced or just "high" on the trade. :')

Whatever became of Karim, don't call me Abdul-Jabbar, Garcia?

He has only one nickname and to refer to him by anything else is a travesty.

Latino Bambino

Luis didn't want to be a DH, that's why he was unhappy here. Karim Garcia put up massive numbers in a hitter's park in a hitter's league. He was on the Yankees during the 2003-2004 season, from memory, and was involved in an incident with fans.

he got into a fight with Pedro Martinez I think...I remember Pedro saying "Who's Karim Garcia?"

didn't he also get into a fight with 2 groundskeepers in the bullpen at Fenway? he got charged in that incident if I remember correctly

Got some info from Wikipedia as to where he is today :

"Following his first foray in the major leagues, García played (in Japan) for the Orix Buffaloes from 2005 to 2006 as cleanup hitter and right fielder. Thanks to the advice of Hideki Matsui, he has become more patient than before, adapting to his new environment in Japan.

On January 8, 2007, Garcia signed a minor league deal with the Phillies.[1] He was released before he made an official start for them."

Luis didn't want to be a DH, that's why he was unhappy here.

Was it in the cards for the next season with us that he was going to be relegated to mainly a DH position? Because in his year with us in 1998, he played 135 games in the OF, and only 19 as a DH.

Yes because we needed the 5 tool Juan E. and body builder Gabe Kapler to go along with Higginson.

Kapler did put together some huge minor league numbers, but turned out to be a disappointment in the majors. I'm still not sure how he managed those big numbers in AA/AAA, I always thought his swing looked terrible?

Encarnacion had good numbers in AA, but he struck me as a somewhat uncoachable player, don't know if anyone else thinks that as well?

Terrible trade, yes, but who knew that Luis would go "Gonzo" and hit 57 home runs? His previous history pegged him as a 15-20 homer guy, IIRC.

His previous history pegged him as a 15-20 homer guy, IIRC.

Luis Gonazlez pulled a Brady Anderson. When he was in Chicago, he was a good 3rd/4th OF option. When he was in Detroit he was also a decent player. Perhaps it was something about Arizona (the team, the weather, the park) or perhaps it was roids - but he became a very different player there.

Karim Garcia was, like most other Randy Smith pickups, a good AAAA player.