Sign in to follow this  
DTroppens

2000 voting results

Before I post the results...

Thanks to everyone that's made this possible. It's been a rewarding experience discussing the nominations with everyone and working with everyone that made this possible. I hope everyone enjoyed the process as much as I did.

I'd also like to give an additional thanks to dt35456884. He's put in a ton of quality work while doing this. More than probably everyone combined. Thanks again dt35456884.

Now the results.

20 voted

Inducted

Alan Trammell 20 100%

Cecil Fielder 20 100%

Travis Fryman 16 80%

Jim Campbell 16 80%

Earning votes

Steve O'Neill 13 65%

Tony Phillips 10 50%

Mickey Tettleton 8 40%

Mike Henneman 8 40%

Mayo Smith 8 40%

Dan Petry 7 35%

Willie Hernandez 6 30%

Dick Tracewski 4 20%

Larry Osterman 2 10%

Earl Whitehill 2 10%

Darrell Evans 2 10%

Frank Tannana 1 5%

No votes

Justin Thompson

Felipe Lira

Brian Hunter

Steve Kemp

Mickey Stanley

Don't mention it. The enjoyment I've gotten out of it far outweighs the work I've put into it.

Big thanks to DTrop for all of his hard work (which has been off the charts), not to mention redshark for the initial idea, all the committee members for their labors, and last but not least our comrade estrepe1 for roping me into this in the first place.

I wish like hell that Brian could have been here to see it through with all of us.

We're running home here. One week to go.

But not an easy one. I'm figuring we all pick five, but will it work out to where anyone gets selected (besides Ernie that is).

My plea - let's get Steve O'Neill in this time. He's so darn close.

We're running home here. One week to go.

But not an easy one. I'm figuring we all pick five, but will it work out to where anyone gets selected (besides Ernie that is).

My plea - let's get Steve O'Neill in this time. He's so darn close.

I agree. He has been so close for the last few weeks. let's do it this week. I am glad that I have had to analyze greats like Ty Cobb, George Mullin, Bill Donovan, Sam Crawford....and the list goes on. Now I look at Bobby Higginson and have to put him in perspective. My first inkling is to vote for him, but as I look at his numbers, I can see that I am going to have to put some deep thought into this one. Ernie is a lock. Other than that.....well, I just don't know. Now we are getting into the years where I know these guys. I will definitely have to guard against emotional decisions. Having to analyze the previous "Unknown to me" players has helped me a great deal.

Just today I was at an Indianapolis Indians game and they were inducting members of Indiana's baseball Hall of Fame. I was hoping like hell and pulling for George Mullin to be among them. This process has taught me a lot about a subject of the Tigers I was fairly weak on six months ago. Thank you to everybody for making this so fun, and I look forward to the future elections and... ah hem... discussions that we will have on some of these leftover guys.

It'd be great if Steve O'Neill got in. For the 7 of you who aren't voting for him, why aren't you? He is 50th all-time in wins and won one of the four championships the Tigers own. He also guided the Tigers to three 2nd place finishes and won the WS with an 88 win team. He is easily the second best manager in team history

He is easily the second best manager in team history

Ummm, sorry? I'm as big a Steve O'Neill fan as anybody, and I have voted for him every time, but he's not quite in the same league as Anderson and Jennings.

And even if you want to argue he's the second best he isn't "easily" the second best. He's arguably the second best.

The weird thing about Steve O'Neill is that I haven't seen anybody "campagin" against him. I hope that people know that they can vote for him, as that seems to be the only reason he's not picking up a few more votes.

Either that or people have just made up their mind.

I'd like to see him make it, but if he doesn't I really don't consider it a crime. It's tough to tell how much of an impact a manager has and right or wrong (I'd suggest it's wrong) he's a manager people probably knew nothing about before we did this. I knew of him and I wasn't sure initially if I would vote for him. I think it was dt35456884 that set me straight on that one. Mayo Smith is better known and he's getting less votes. Still if people think only two managers deserve it at this time, I really don't thing that's bad or wrong. I think the two that deserve it without a doubt are in.

Ummm, sorry? I'm as big a Steve O'Neill fan as anybody, and I have voted for him every time, but he's not quite in the same league as Anderson and Jennings.

Probably shouldn't have said "easily" but when you say he's not in the same class as Anderson, why?

Anderson 1331-1448 .516 (17 seasons) One WS Championship; six finishes of second or better

O'Neill 509-414 .541 (6 seasons) One World Championship; four finishes of 2nd or better

Jennings 1131-972 .538 (14 seasons) Three AL Championships; five finishes of 2nd or better

I mean Jennings and Sparky managed longer but neither was more successful than O'Neill big picture, they were just very popular managers. Sparky of course was also the manager of the big Red machine. I'll bet most fans would have a much lower opinion of him if he had just managed in Detroit. Jennings was a great player and a great character and certainly no disrespect to him. But to me O'Neill stacks up well versus either.