slim pickens

State Theatre........R.I.P

http://forums.detnews.com/entblog/index.cfm

Music

Farewell State Theatre...

Next week Detroit's State Theatre will become the Fillmore Detroit. See Adam Graham's Detroit News story here. I'm really saddened and disappointed that one of Detroit's most notorious venues will be just another Fillmore across the country. I think doing this cheapens both the Detroit venue, and also the Fillmore's name. "The Fillmore" used to mean the legendary venue in San Francisco. Now it's just another over-priced, corporate, stale venue chain like House of Blues or Hard Rock Cafe. Lame.

The first act to play the new Detroit Fillmore is Fergie. It's Fergie's "VIP Verizon Tour." I'm going to digress here and say that I don't dislike Fergie because of who she is. That's the problem. Fergie can be anybody. She can be Mergie, or Gergie, or Blurgie. Take the right producers, the right songwriters, the right personal trainer and then the right million dollar marketing campaign, and there is your "artist."

Back to the point: Farewell State Theatre. In the last few years I've grown very close to this venue. My fondest memory is seeing Mitch Hedberg and Stephen Lynch perform there in early 2005. I snuck backstage with Wendy and we met Mitch and he welcomed us to hang out and party with him. A few months later Mitch died of a drug overdose on March 30.

Other fond State Theater memories include the last three of The Detroit News' Battle of the Bands, which I was a preliminary judge and a judge at the finals. Giving young musicians a chance to not only play one of their first shows, but to also play the State Theatre for hundreds of people.

One of my top three favorite concerts of all time was seeing Hole at the State Theatre. I believe it was spring of 1998. I was in Broadzilla at the time, and the other guitar player got us tickets and meet-and-greet passes for the show. The concert was great. Courtney leaped over the monitors and climbed up onto one of the armored knights on the side of the stage. Confetti fell from the ceiling. The whole set was awesome. Just to see Courtney Love on stage when she was still a musician and not a joke was a rare opportunity. Even better, I got to meet her and the whole band after the show. She was a total ***** - it was awesome.

I also can't forget the half dozen or so Detroit Music Awards I saw at the State Theatre. I've seen a slew of unforgettable concerts (seeing H.I.M. stands out the most right now) at the State Theatre and several I'd like to forget (Franz Ferdinand...snore), and I've had a few fuzzy nights in the State Bar as well (Suzy Cole I'm looking at you). While the building isn't being demolished, just rebranded, I feel like I'm losing something. On the outside all that will be different is the marquee, a new coat of paint and a bowl of red apples in the lobby. What else will change? Greater security? Higher ticket prices? Higher drink prices? Possibly.

Feel free to comment and share your favorite State Theatre memories...

The theater isn't going anywhere. It's just getting a name change that will help the burgeoning tourist industry. When I saw the header, I thought it was getting boarded up. This is good news.

The best concert I saw there was Meatloaf in 1992, I think.

This guy is writing like they are tearing the building down, they're just changing the name and to be honest with you "State Theatre" is pretty freaking generic. Fillmore is not much better because there really is only one Fillmore, but this really isn't a very big deal.

I read in another paper a few weeks ago that the Fillmore owner (who is not the original owner) is buying theaters and putting the name on them.

We used to go to Monday Night at the movies. Some friends of ours actually met there at a free Bare Naked Ladies concert in 1992. Been married for over 10 years now. That was during the Club X days.

Bill Graham owned the original Fillmore. He created a "chain", when he opened the Fillmore East in New York.

He is now dead.

This is no big deal. If it means the venue gets better acts because of national booking, then good.

I like the idea of using the Fillmore name.

I'm not sure about it. Nothing can compare to the original Fillmore.

I guarantee that if this were affiliated with the original Fillmore,

weinie music like Fergie would not be performed there. That would be

like 1910 Fruitgum Comany along with the Ohio Express playing at the

original Fillmore.

Take the right producers, the right songwriters, the right personal trainer and then the right million dollar marketing campaign, and there is your "artist."

I wonder what the writer thinks about the Shangri-Las or the Supremes. Would the lack of trainer and smaller budget make them slightly more legitimate?

I hate having to call the SF Fillmore the "Fillmore West". It should just be the Fillmore. It's an awesome venue.