Yoda

2007 Amateur Draft Diary

Hammb - I agree 100%, if they have an unlimited budget. I don't know if that's the case though. If they spend high in the first round and have to then go cheap the rest of the way, I think it hurts us. We took a bunch of safe picks last year. I'd rather distribute it more evenly I guess. I don't really mind either way though, as I'd be thrilled if we did get Porcello.

In that case I do agree with you I guess. I think I'm arguing more from what MY draft philosophy would be, as opposed to who I think we should pick within Detroit's current philosophy.

I agree that it harms our organization to invest all of our available money into our first round pick and then take subpar talent through the remaining 49 rounds. I'd still have a hard time passing on some of these first rounders that are talked about dropping though.

Like I said, I think in the long run you're much better off investing a LOT in your draft picks and cutting back on your major league payroll. $20 million will go a lot further on draft picks than it will on FAs.

That just says "our picks". I was referring to the entire draff.

Oh. I could do that. That would would get really long though. We're talking 1500 players.

How about I just post a link above our picks for the draft list?

Maybe just the first couple of rounds then. I'll find the first round list and post it and you can copy/paste it into the first thread and make it all pretty and everything since you are good at that. :)

I don't think I could justify paying $10M+ to a high school pitcher anyways. What hammer does MLB have if we went over slot?

Crap, I already put those in the first post. We can just keep them up there if you want. Myself or any of the mods can update it as the draft goes along. I don't wanna have to do all of the work though.

For the fans that aren't totally hip into the rules of the draft, and "slot money", can you tell me why:

Why would MLB frown upon the Tigers going for "out of slot money" players, which would mean spending big on draftees (Right?) but allow teams to spend 55$ Million dollars just to TALK to a pitcher from another country?

On a related note,

Doesn't the draft and subsequent signings, lead to some releases at the lower levels (WM, EST (including O-Tigers/GCL Tigers) to free up positions/playing time for the new players?

Crap, I already put those in the first post. We can just keep them up there if you want. Myself or any of the mods can update it as the draft goes along. I don't wanna have to do all of the work though.

I took out the text in my post that had all the draft positions. I think the way it is now is perfect. I'll update as I can and I assume the other mods will too.

I took out the text in my post that had all the draft positions. I think the way it is now is perfect. I'll update as I can and I assume the other mods will too.

Thank God for "copy and paste", eh?

what's that? I just wrote it all down on my yellow legal pad, then typed it here.

any idea how fast the round will go now that espn is covering it?

A review of the important draftees from this century:

2000-Nook Logan

2001-Ryan Raburn, Humberto Sanchez

2002-Granderson (#3), Zumaya (#11), Clevlen (#2)

2003-Sleeth at #1, Giarratano at 3, both dealing with injuries, but also Virgil Vasquez at 7 and Jordan Tata at 16

2004-Verlander (#1), also French at 8 and Trahern at 34

2005-Maybin, of course, and also Larish at 5, Hollimon at 16. This draft also gave us Whelan (4) and Claggett (11), who combined with Sanchez and Ilitch's pocketbook to give us Sheffield

2006-Miller at 1, Cody at 8, Below at 19, and Scram at 18. Too early to tell, although Miller is contributing already.

Given that summary, it looks like 2002 was the best draft of the last seven, giving us two good major leaguers.

Scott Moore wasn't a great pick, but he netted us Farnsworth who gave us Colon and Miner, so he was kind of significant.

Scott Moore wasn't a great pick, but he netted us Farnsworth who gave us Colon and Miner, so he was kind of significant.

Prince Fielder would look mighty nice on our roster right about now...

any idea how fast the round will go now that espn is covering it?

I think it's five minutes between picks, with 90 seconds in the supplemental round and 60 thereafter. They should get five rounds in today and finish tomorrow.

So we'll be picking after 4 pm...

There really doesn't need to be time between picks when there is no potential for trading.

I'm still hoping that Aherns falls to us. A switch hitting SS that will mos tlikely move over to third.

So we'll be picking after 4 pm...

damn i hope XM radio is covering this then

Really? Five minutes between picks? Is that new and due to the draft being televised because I would have sworn it was a minute and a half tops even in the first round.

Yeah, the new first-round format was put in place for TV coverage (interviews, analysis, etc. between picks).

Also, XM is covering the draft to my knowledge. They had a channel dedicated to it last year.

This whole thing with baseball "suggesting slot money" is stupid. If they want it to be slot money do it make it a rule in the CBA, the NBA does. If they don't they don't "suggest" it. All teams need to play by the same rules, the way it is now all teams don't. I like the idea of the Tigers not playing by the rules. If they want to keep slotting then they need to allow trades or the best talent will continue going to best teams. Allowing trades would at least allow the small market teams to stock pile picks to give them more opportunities to hit it rich.