markmeista

Larry Aurie

What about Aurie's family and relatives? Maybe even Gordie and Lindsay watched him play. Larry Aurie helped the Wings win 2 Stanley Cups. If the Wings can keep up all the old Stanley Cup banners up then I don't see any reason why they can't keep a banner up for Aurie. I think history should be remembered not forgotten. That's what makes the Wings so special is it's long storied history with all the great players.

It was a far different world when Aurie played. There was no radio or TV broadcasting the games and Howe and Lindsey would have been lucky to have electricity on the farms in which they grew up let alone coming to Detroit to watch him play. Those that did are long gone.

History that's worth remembering is remembered. In his best season he scored 17 goals. His 276 total points is currently 29th on the Wings all time list and will soon drop into the 30s. I'm sorry, he was a good player in his time but far from an all-time great.

It was a far different world when Aurie played. There was no radio or TV broadcasting the games and Howe and Lindsey would have been lucky to have electricity on the farms in which they grew up let alone coming to Detroit to watch him play. Those that did are long gone.

History that's worth remembering is remembered. In his best season he scored 17 goals. His 276 total points is currently 29th on the Wings all time list and will soon drop into the 30s. I'm sorry, he was a good player in his time but far from an all-time great.

I guess I just think a player's number should not be unretired once it is retired by a team. While it's true that Aurie's stats aren't that impressive and it was a different era, I still don't think it should be forgotten. Maybe it shouldn't have been retired in the first place, who knows. Like I said before, they didn't take down the stanley cup banners from the past so why unretire a number? What if for some reason Ilitch decides to sell the team in 5-10 years from now and the new owner decides he wants a fresh start and decides to unretire the 6 numbers that are currently retired? Would you want those numbers unretired too?