DrWho17

Thursday, May 31st Cleveland at Detroit ECF

They trapped him once. And it worked. And then they never trapped him again.

You don't shoot out and then go back to cover your man. You shoot out and you STAY out. You MAKE him pass the ball or you foul him.

Thats right.

The other guys were missing shots left and right. Lebron basically had to shoot the ball, otherwise they had no shot what so ever. Not staying on him and forcing him to give it up and make others beat us cost us the game, maybe the series.

They trapped him once. And it worked. And then they never trapped him again.

You don't shoot out and then go back to cover your man. You shoot out and you STAY out. You MAKE him pass the ball or you foul him.

Whatever, the Pistons had 2 men on him when he rose up and hit a 3. Of course there were defensive break downs too and Maxiell was in the middle of a lot of those, leaving the lane wide open.

Like I said, I just can't bring myself to be mad at them tonight.

Whatever, the Pistons had 2 men on him when he rose up and hit a 3. Of course there were defensive break downs too and Maxiell was in the middle of a lot of those, leaving the lane wide open.

Like I said, I just can't bring myself to be mad at them tonight.

whatever man. I don't know what game you were watching. You're the only one on this site that saw these mysterious double teams.

The Pistons trapped him in regulation a few times to mixed results.

The Pistons had a five point lead with about 2:50 left in the fourth and seemingly had the game under some control. Lebron took over. Lebron was the Lebron we all hoped he'd be two years from now but we've all seen develop into a more complete and talented player within a five-game period.

This seeemed to be a game the Pistons had more going for them than the Cavs for most of the contest, yet the Cavs hung close and grasped a win on the road. The Cavs - led by Lebron of course - have been mightily impressive.

If you think this team is one of the best deensive teams in the league, then you haven't been watching them this year.

They're nowhere near where they were two years ago. They're not really that good defensively anymore, they just slow the game down and don't let the other team has as many possessions to score.

I would agree that they are not as good defensively as two years ago, but really, how many teams in NBA history were?

Maybe they do slow the game down and do not allow as many possessions, resulting in a lower opponents' PPG, but it's true that the possessions they do allow are not resulting in so many points. After all, they are third in the league in opponents' FG% and fifth in opponents' 3 Pt. %. That suggests that they are putting pressure on opponents and forcing them to take bad shots. Or is that an impossible theory?

Where was Ben Wallace last night when you needed him. I'm thinking he would have stopped at least one of those Lebron dunks, the guy is a great finisher, but people weren't even stepping in front of him.

Where was Ben Wallace last night when you needed him. I'm thinking he would have stopped at least one of those Lebron dunks, the guy is a great finisher, but people weren't even stepping in front of him.

That was really irritating a friend of mine, who isn't a fan of the Cavs or Pistons. He kept on saying stuff like, "Why are the Pistons just standing there?" and "Did LeBron just make the same move as before?" Slapping at LeBron's body when he has a full head of steam isn't going to stop him unless you are physical in front of him.

The Pistons trapped him in regulation a few times to mixed results.

The Pistons had a five point lead with about 2:50 left in the fourth and seemingly had the game under some control. Lebron took over. Lebron was the Lebron we all hoped he'd be two years from now but we've all seen develop into a more complete and talented player within a five-game period.

This seeemed to be a game the Pistons had more going for them than the Cavs for most of the contest, yet the Cavs hung close and grasped a win on the road. The Cavs - led by Lebron of course - have been mightily impressive.

They trapped him in overtime to great results. When the other team is a one man team, why let that one guy beat you? Make someone else take the shot.

Buddha,

There was confusion between you and Truth about if they trapped him or not. I mentioned a moment when I know it was being utilized that wasn't discussed. That's all I was trying to do there. Not really get into the action. :classic:

I agree thought. It's absurd that you'd allow a guy to score so many points consecutively - especially against a team like the Pistons who supposedly are one of the top defensive teams in the NBA. And while I sometimes gripe about of change of philosphies, we really still are one of the best defensive teams in the NBA. But that wasn't just us. That was Lebron being the stud he is as well.

Buddha,

There was confusion between you and Truth about if they trapped him or not. I mentioned a moment when I know it was being utilized that wasn't discussed. That's all I was trying to do there. Not really get into the action. :classic:

I agree thought. It's absurd that you'd allow a guy to score so many points consecutively - especially against a team like the Pistons who supposedly are one of the top defensive teams in the NBA. And while I sometimes gripe about of change of philosphies, we really still are one of the best defensive teams in the NBA. But that wasn't just us. That was Lebron being the stud he is as well.

I agree that was LeBron being a stud, but there are things you can do to slow him down. Or at least TRY to slow him down.

Like I said, they were effective in overtime with hard traps. Get the ball out of his hands no matter what you have to do. And they didn't do that. They just put different players on him, which is what they always do.

Once again, when it came time to think on the fly, Flip was asleep at the switch.

If they lose game six, Saunders has to be gone.

Slapping at LeBron's body when he has a full head of steam isn't going to stop him unless you are physical in front of him.

This was my biggest gripe as I watched the game into the overtimes. It became completely clear by about halfway through the first overtime that nobody on the Cleveland team was going to be allowed to shoot the ball except Lebron.

That said, I can't understand why we weren't able to draw more charges once he would take off for the basket from the top of the key. His long shooting was unstoppable, but once he headed towards the rim, it seems like it would be an easy decision to just step in front of him and take one for the team.

Buddha,

I agree. The Pistons could've done some to help the situation. There's no doubt about that.

Game 6 and hopefully game 7 will come down to one word for the Pistons - Pride.

Well, it looks a lot like last year. However, last year game 6 came down to two words in the final key moments of the 4th quarter:

"Offensive Rebounds"

And those two words were provided by another two words:

"Ben Wallace"

Without him, we don't win Game 6 last year. Unfortunately, I think he's watching on TV about now. Hopefully we can muster some pride from another player or two in this series.

This was my biggest gripe as I watched the game into the overtimes. It became completely clear by about halfway through the first overtime that nobody on the Cleveland team was going to be allowed to shoot the ball except Lebron.

That said, I can't understand why we weren't able to draw more charges once he would take off for the basket from the top of the key. His long shooting was unstoppable, but once he headed towards the rim, it seems like it would be an easy decision to just step in front of him and take one for the team.

Even if it doesn't draw a charge, it'll knock him off his game a bit and send him to the line, where he hasn't been a threat at all. A body to body collision when LeBron was driving would put something into the back of his head when he had to decide later whether or not to drive or shoot a jumper.

Even if it doesn't draw a charge, it'll knock him off his game a bit and send him to the line, where he hasn't been a threat at all. A body to body collision when LeBron was driving would put something into the back of his head when he had to decide later whether or not to drive or shoot a jumper.

I thought Lebron has been pretty good from the line this series. I don't know why I thought that, but I thought he has been hitting about 70%?

I'll look it up, because I don't think he has been known as a great free throw shooter.

Edit: He is actually shooting quite well from the line. 29 of 39 for around 74% from my count. That is pretty good.