davidsb

Guillermo 'Don't call me Willie' Hernandez

I will never vote for Guillermo. 1 great year, two good years and three years I cringed every time Sparky called his number. The dude was horrible half his Tiger career. I do not understand the love for this guy.

The dude was horrible half his Tiger career.

The stats say otherwise. Sorry about your anecdotal memories of cringing when he was brought in, but facts are facts. He was a good to great pitcher for his entire Tiger career until 1989, when he really did start to suck briefly until he left baseball for good.

The stats say otherwise. Sorry about your anecdotal memories of cringing when he was brought in, but facts are facts. He was a good to great pitcher for his entire Tiger career until 1989, when he really did start to suck briefly until he left baseball for good.

Maybe his last year was so bad it made his last few years seem bad also.

yeah but he dumped water on Mitch Albom's head so that makes up for his performance on the field after that point. He should get in just for that.

Is getting wet what made Albom shrink? I heard he was a normal sized person prior to his arrival in Detroit Rock City

Actually his body mass was transferred to first his ears, then when the skin stretched out to the max, it continued on to his head. (literally and figuratively)

davidsb,

If you can give me a more detailed reason why you consider seasons good or bad I can probably give you a better explanation why I think he belongs.

I do think 1984 is worth almost two good years though in itself and 1985 was much much better than anyone gives him credit for. Actually I'd argue if he did that in 1984 without that season ever happening, people would've talked about what good a season he had.

1986 I'd consider solid. His 1987 wouldn't have been bullpen by committee (until Henneman took it over) if he had a good year. He didn't.

I don't recall much about 1988 for some reason. Anyone remember much about that season. I obviously can look at his stats, but I don't recall how that went really.

From memory he was really at the point where he was booed coming out of the bullpen. Imagine if Jose Mesa was our closer right now.

I remember him getting booed in 1987 for sure. I think even at the end of 1986 he did a bit, but really he was pretty solid that year. He for sure wasn't the closer in 1988 though. Henneman had an awesome season. I think that's why I don't recall much about him that year. He wasn't that marque guy. If he was he certainly would've gotten booed a ton.

Actually his body mass was transferred to first his ears, then when the skin stretched out to the max, it continued on to his head. (literally and figuratively)

Argh, you beat me to an ear joke. I was going to say he had headphones on...

I remember him getting booed in 1987 for sure. I think even at the end of 1986 he did a bit, but really he was pretty solid that year. He for sure wasn't the closer in 1988 though. Henneman had an awesome season. I think that's why I don't recall much about him that year. He wasn't that marque guy. If he was he certainly would've gotten booed a ton.

Willie had 10 saves, Mike had 22. I don't think they used the position then as they did now.

That's true. I wonder if Willie started in the role and then lost it again. You'd think I'd remember that. I'll check retro's game logs.

I consider 1984 an "overachieveing" year for Hernandez. He was lights-out the entire season, and Tiger management threw the ank at him for earning both MVP and Cy Young honors. That had to have had a major impact on his ego and his hunger as a pitcher.

I can recall several trips to the mound in many of the same game situations the following year when Willie simply choked. I was discouraged and disgusted with him by the time the '86 season was done. By then Mike Henneman had emerged as a more steady and reliable closer, even if he didn't have Willie's stellar numbers of 1984. I seriously doubt any reliever has had that kind of success in one season since. I call it a major fluke, and proof positive a pitcher needs the solid defense behind him to make him look good or not.

I just checked retro. Really for much of that season he looks like he was pretty effective (1988). It looks like it was primarily Henneman but as Oblong said already it just wasn't the specialized role it is now. Hernandez got in fairly often in those sitautions, with a good chunk of his saves coming in late August, but with others dispersed other places.

ErieTigerfan,

I think your view would've been different if he had his 1985 in 84 and then maybe 84 the next season. People just expected perfection or very close to what was one of the best relief seasons in baseball history and were upset when he was "just" very good after that. His awesome first year may have been his downfall towards people thinking he fell more than he actually did.

I also believe his 1984 season raised expectations too much. He wasn't even supposed to be their top reliever that year. He was just supposed to complement Lopez. If Hernandez just had a regular season in 84, nobody would have thought the following years were bad. Plus, losing Rozema and then having Lopez decline in 1985 did not help Hernandez.