dt35456884

Detroit Tigers Hall of Fame - 1995 Elections

I also adopted Henneman's three-quarters/sidearm motion, which in hindsight had to be a bizarre spectacle for a bunch of 8 year-old batters just coming out of tee-ball, especially being that I was a lefty.

I just sent in my ballot, with 10 names on it, and leaving at least five guys whom I believe are worthy of a Hall of Fame bid off of the ballot.

Can we vote for more than one non-player per ballot?

You can vote for unlimited non-players...

The non-player voting is admittedly a little nebulous. There isn't any kind of science behind choosing the guys who didn't actually take the field. Managers and executives maybe, based on how the team performed over a number of years. Still, it's more of a gut feeling after you've taken into consideration the guy's contribution to the organization. Right now my gut tells me I don't want to vote for a coach. Others will disagree.

There was a post recently from someone asking about Bill Lajoie. I thought for some reason his last year with the organization was the '91 season, which would have made him eligible for this election. As it turns out, '90 was his last.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/execdb/showperson.php?idx=LajoiBi01&fname=Bill&lname=Lajoie

--

From wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Lajoie)

Lajoie joined the Tigers organization in 1974 as a member of the scouting department. By 1979 he was named the assistant general manager to Tigers GM Jim Campbell. After an internal power struggle in 1990, he was replaced as Tigers GM by his assistant, Joe McDonald. During his time as GM, Lajoie is credited with several transactions that helped the Tigers to the 1984 World Series championship and a 1987 division title. Notable transactions include signing aging veteran Darrell Evans in 1984; Kirk Gibson leaving as a free agent; and trading John Smoltz for Doyle Alexander in 1987. While ridiculed by Detroit fans now, the Smoltz trade helped the Tigers make the playoffs in 1987, as Alexander posted 9 wins and 0 losses in 11 starts, with a 1.53 earned run average. Smoltz, at the time, was a lightly regarded prospect in the low minor leagues.

--

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9D0CEFD6113CF93BA35752C0A967958260

Bill Lajoie, the general manager of the Detroit Tigers since 1983, resigned yesterday to pursue "a more relaxed life style."

"After 36 years in professional baseball, I've decided to step back and enjoy a few things in life," Lajoie, 56, said in a statement. "Baseball is a demanding life. There are things I wish to do now that I haven't had the opportunity to enjoy before."

Joe McDonald, the Tigers' vice president for player development, will assume Lajoies's duties on an interim basis.

--

Well crap, I am upset I missed this vote. Sorry everyone, this was a year I was really looking forward to.

Well crap, I am upset I missed this vote. Sorry everyone, this was a year I was really looking forward to.

Well, you haven't missed this vote yet because the deadline is this Friday. You are possibly thinking of the '90 elections.

Well, you haven't missed this vote yet because the deadline is this Friday. You are possibly thinking of the '90 elections.

HAH, thanks.

I voted early on the 1990 elections, so my timeline got messed up.

I also adopted Henneman's three-quarters/sidearm motion, which in hindsight had to be a bizarre spectacle for a bunch of 8 year-old batters just coming out of tee-ball, especially being that I was a lefty.

The pitcher I imitated as a kid was Luis Tiant. Everything but the cigar.

My parents apparently didn't know enough about baseball to tell me ahead of time that lefties don't play shortstop.

I think in Little League it shouldn't matter whether someone is a lefty or a righty.

Little League is supposed to be fun, not a preparation for professional ball. I don't think managers should start worrying about those things until High School ball. I was a right-handed first baseman throughout Little League and Babe Ruth League and defense was my strength. One year, a manager tried to replace me with a left-hander. I got angry but I patiently waited until the manager figured out that the lefty stunk and I got my job back.

The pitcher I imitated as a kid was Luis Tiant. Everything but the cigar.

I was a Ross Grimsley imitator (being a lefty).

...that and the Joe Morgan arm flap.

I was a Ross Grimsley imitator (being a lefty).

...that and the Joe Morgan arm flap.

I used to imitate Joe Morgan for fun but... the Luis Tiant thing was very serious.

Wow, six very strong candidates, among the players.

I will be voting for the following non-players:

Anderson

Carey

O'Neill

Fetzer

Campbell

I'm still on the fence, regarding Willie Hernandez. He didn't have the longevity of a Henneman or Hiller, and I require more longevity from relievers, in terms of quality seasons, than I require from starting pitchers, who throw often 3 times as many innings. If he had duplicated his 1984 effort a couple more times, he would be a lock for me. Granted he did have a two solid years after '84.

Wow, six very strong candidates, among the players.

I will be voting for the following non-players:

Anderson

Carey

O'Neill

Fetzer

Campbell

All five deserved it. I voted for all five, and will continue to vote for them until they are elected.

This is probably our deepest class yet. 1975 was probably the strongest, as it had five guys get in on the first ballot and two guys who are among the top 10 Tigers of alltime.

I feel I should vote for Larry Osterman or the "Big O" as he was known around Kalamazoo. When I was in high school, I went to "shadow" Osterman at WKZO, Channel 3. He was very nice but I spent most of the day with Tom Taube, who helped him do the sports. It was in early 1971 so I am sure we talked about the Tigers hopes for that year. I always heard he married into the Fetzer extended family but never knew if it was true.

I am also voting for the many non-players mentioned earlier. I haven't decided on the players but Lou, Gibson and Henneman will make it.

Don't think Henneman will make my cut either. I have Petry ranked higher, due to his 3-4 quality seasons as a starter. Henneman was a decent reliever, with low ERA's, but his WHIP was often fairly high, and he did have some poorer seasons mixed in.

In addition to the names I mentioned earlier, Petry also deserves extra consideration. I just hope there's enough votes to go around to keep some of this ballot's borderline guys around.

I went Petry as the second most important Tiger starter in the 80s. It came down to him and a reliever and as we know starting pitching>relief pitching. Petry has solid numbers that compare to Whitehill who I've voted for almost every single time.

Man, this is a tough ballot. Among players I have 4 absolute locks, and then I have 4 guys, similarly ranked and paired up nicely due to positions, competing for the fifth slot, not including Earl Whitehill. I'm tempted to leave the 4 off because I don't think it's right to have one without the other member of the pair.