thewave84

Why is this Lions' board so negative?

I am 32 years old. Going back to the 80's, I remember the excitement of the 84 Tigers and a competitive team. I remember watching the Wings becoming a team and making a good run at the Oilers even though they came up short. They were an exciting team to watch with Stevie, Gallant, Klima and of course Probie and Kocur amongst others. The Pistons building up to and conquering the Celtics and Laker teams. That was a thing of beauty watching that team grow toghether. The Lions gave me false hopes and pretenders: Gary Danielson, Chuck Long, Andre Ware, Rodney Peete. The managed to not figure out how to win with one of the most dynamic players to ever play the game in Sanders.

My father was 5 years old the last time they won a Championship. The losing legacy is being passed on generation to generation. I used to hope and pray every year, now I am resigned to their losing ways. The franchise is a disgrace and they deserved to be railed on until they get it right. 50 Years of futility doesn't has erased any thoughts of cutting the organization any slack.

No offense, but it's pretty obvious why people are negative about the Lions.

I just saw this headline, i'm not even going to take the time to actually read any posts, but I wanted to say it made me laugh.

You guys act like the content of your posts is controlled by the Lions. Guess what? It's not. You are in control of what you post.

This thread is winding down like a Lions drive in the red zone.

Ok, one thing I CAN be positive about is that I really think the Lions, with the addition of T.J. Duckett, will make a big improvment in red zone efficiency from the past several years.

You guys act like the content of your posts is controlled by the Lions. Guess what? It's not. You are in control of what you post.

What does this mean?

What does this mean?

I asked why is this Lions' board so much more negative than other Lions' boards. Post after post in this thread you guys are saying that you have no choice but to be negative because the Lions have been so bad for so long. And if anyone comes on here and tries to say something good about the future (upcoming season, new players, whatever) you guys think it is your duty to line up, one after another, and respond "that will never work out because the Lions have been so bad for so long, it will never change".

But, in fact, there are other Lions' boards where people do make hopeful comments without getting beaten down by the likes of you. And it is about the same Lions' team.

What I am getting at is that it is you guys who make this board so negative and depressing, not the football team. So stop using the team as your excuse to be bitter and negative.

I asked why is this Lions' board so much more negative than other Lions' boards. Post after post in this thread you guys are saying that you have no choice but to be negative because the Lions have been so bad for so long. And if anyone comes on here and tries to say something good about the future (upcoming season, new players, whatever) you guys think it is your duty to line up, one after another, and respond "that will never work out because the Lions have been so bad for so long, it will never change".

But, in fact, there are other Lions' boards where people do make hopeful comments without getting beaten down by the likes of you. And it is about the same Lions' team.

What I am getting at is that it is you guys who make this board so negative and depressing, not the football team. So stop using the team as your excuse to be bitter and negative.

There have been plenty of posts where I've said why I think the Lions will be bad because of X, Y, and Z they don't have anything to do with their putrid history. I don't think they'll be good because of their talent deficiencies at many, many positions. So let's not make it seem like the only argument us Lion-doubters have brought up to you is "it will never work out because the Lions have been so bad for so long."

The argument to which you're probably referring is the one relating to the Lions recent draft. Those of us who don't think much of it (other than Calvin Johnson) do so most likely because 1) we're not football experts and 2) we've seen 5 bad Matt Millen drafts and come to expect nothing better from him. That's a legit argument in my opinion.

If you want to be a Lions' cheerleader, by all means, break out the pom poms like 84 Lives. That's fine with me. But don't act offended when someone disagrees with you. And to act shocked or puzzled at the negativity of a fan base of the worst team in professional football that has won ONE playoff game in my lifetime and only 20 some regular season games in the last 5 years is what is really ridiculous.

You don't like negativity? Fine. I don't like irrational homerism. So there we go.

You don't like negativity? Fine. I don't like irrational homerism. So there we go.

I don't like irrational homerism either, that is boring.

Yeah,

I have stated the past but I have also stated where because of that past the Lions have proven to me they don't know how to develop an organization properly.

And about negative posts making this board depressing - if the team was even 8-8 every season with occasional glimpses into the playoffs (sort of like the 1990s) - this wouldn't be a depressing place. It is what we see from the Lions and our opinions from those observations that make this a depressing place. Maybe we are just the tools that express that pessimism. And really for the last 2-3 years I have hardly posted here because I had to be so negative. Again I used to start all the postgame threads and have a list of 8-12 positives and negatives on just about every game. The last few years it's become "This is crap and it's so bad that it's beyond analysis" so I quit doing those posts. That's not me that makes that reality. That's the Lions.

Why CAN'T we be negative? I am still waiting for that to be explained. Furthermore, I doubt that those who are labeled as negative are given a fair chance. They are realists. If soemone doesn't want realism, then so be it, go to someplace where they discuss the Easter Bunny, the Tooth Fairy, and the Lions contending year after year for the NFC North Crown.

The Lions - specifically William Clay Ford and Matt Millen - ARE responsible for the reactions of fans like us. Perhaps if they would have donn their jobs the past several years we would not act & react like this. However, they haven't. While it is common place to hear people say they could do a better job than someone else when that person has made a mistake - I honestly think a lot of us here could be AT LEAST as good as William Clay Ford and Matt Millen.

There is a very big difference between what takes place on the Lions board and what TigersMeow79 did on the Tigers Board. One is reality and hoping for change, the other is negativism and not being able to see ANY positives. Most of us can see the positives, the problem is, we don't see many positives with the Lions

Ownership is the key issue. WCF got baited into bringing in Millen and look what happened. I'd say any sale of Ford or Ford holdings should be mandated that Ford Field and the Lions be part of that sale. Could you imagine Mark Cuban owning the Lions? Standing on the sidelines yelling at the refs and coaches..

thewave84, I'll be positive...although they haven't been good for a long time, I'm pretty excited about the coming season...I think they have an opportunity to score a lot of points...at some point in the future they will be better...this coming season is as good a time as any

I'm pulling up this old thread because of a very similar-sounding article that just came out. (and no, I didn't write the letter):

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2007/11/a_lions_fan_vents_on_detroits.html

A Lions fan vents on Detroit's negative attitude towards sports

by tkowalsk

Thursday November 15, 2007, 9:00 AM

Before I start answering the questions, I wanted to pass along a letter from FanaticLion that I received this morning. I cut out some of it for brevity's sake, but the message still comes through clearly. While I strongly disagree with his point about Miller's interview with Marinelli -- it was Marinelli's own weekly segment and those questions had to be asked -- his overall remarks have some interesting points. I'm sure many of you will agree -- and many won't.

Killer,

I'd like to pontificate a little, with your indulgence. A few weeks ago you asked 'when and why did fans start worrying so much about their feelings toward the Lions and stop talking football?' I'd like to pose the query - why is this town so damn negative toward their sports in general, the Lions in particular and how culpable is the media in promoting and fostering that negativity?

I am getting so sick of listening to sports talk radio and reading the local sports pages because almost every article, every topic, has to be drenched in controversy or pointedly sarcastic about the futility of the Lions franchise and the inept management, coaching, performances, whatever.

I guess the impetus of this rant occurred last Monday, when Rod Marinelli kind of lost his cool after Dan Miller repeatedly asked him about the play calling and lack of rushing attempts in the game plan. Rod answered the same questions, multiple times after the game on Sunday, in his presser on Monday, and then four or five times again on Dan's "Lions Review" show Monday night. Then, when Rod got frustrated by the negative drone of the same questions, he refused to answer it any more. Good for him. I think by then I might have been ready to smack somebody.

When is somebody going to interview Rod and ask him how he has gotten Shaun Rogers to buy into his program? How did he convince Mike Martz to come to Detroit with him and create a quality staff? Is there a good working relationship between Matt, Tom Lewand, and the coaching staff and how do they plan to get the Lions to the super bowl? How close do they think they are?

I want to be inspired by our coaches, hopeful about our teams, and proud of our players, but, that message, those positive aspects of sports in this town are rarely reported, and almost never discussed. You can't find an article that talks about something good that happens with this team without a negative qualifier appended to the statement, such as, 'the Lions are 6-2, for the first time since 2000 when they finished 2-6 and missed the playoffs' or 'the Lions rushed for over a hundred yards for only the second time this year' or 'the Lions won three games in a row for the first time since Matt Millen took the helm'. Why is it important that each accomplishment has to be tempered by past failure? And then there are some writers in this town that don't even bother with positive statements, let alone articles.

Where is the discussion about Roy William's two touchdown catches last week, one of which was simply an amazing one-handed grab with the cornerback mauling him. I heard several mentions of Roy Williams dropping too many passes. Why can't we talk more about the "D-Line" coming together or Mike Furrey's clutch catches, or what a fine job Gerald Alexander has done since being thrown into the fire in place of Daniel Bullocks, or the impressive season that Keith Smith is having, or the gutsy running of Kevin Jones? Have we forgotten the silver lining? Is there no value in optimism?

When a sports talk show caller shows some pride or hope for our team, why do they have to be ridiculed for "drinking kool-aid" or "eating cornbread"? When they disagree with the host's negative outlook and try to make opposing yet valid points, they are hung up on and destroyed with no recourse or argument allowed.

Many of our own have commented on the negative aura around here including, Matt Millen, Bobby Ross, Jeff Garcia (and his lovely wife), Shaun Rogers, Rod Marinelli, Roy Williams, and most recently, Aveion Cason (last week on Lions radio show with Tony Ortiz and Mike Furrey). All have intimated or plainly stated that Detroit is the most negative atmosphere they have experienced in their sports lives.

I hope the negative persona adopted by this town hasn't reached the point of no return. I don't want our motto to become "Detroit Sports - hate it or leave it".

A 35 year old QB who is probably the biggest reason why this team is 6-3 and not 3-6.

Next year we have O' Sullivan, Drew Stanton or Orlovsky.

A 35 year old QB who is probably the biggest reason why this team is 6-3 and not 3-6.

Next year we have O' Sullivan, Drew Stanton or Orlovsky.

Or Derek Anderson.

The most convincing argument you could possibly have to prove the Lions will be bad in the following year is to look at Lion's history. They were bad, are bad, and probably always will be bad. That's a strong argument. Overcoming all the negativity is an absolutely monumental task. Rod Marinelli is a unique individual with everything it takes to be a great coach . . . but possibly not in Detroit. We chew up and spit out guys with way better track records than him (Ross, Mariucci). I have to admit, if there is one person who can turn around this putrid organization, it's Marinelli. But, it's a less than 50/50 chance no matter how great he is. This place is a burial ground for players and coaches.

The most convincing argument you could possibly have to prove the Lions will be bad in the following year is to look at Lion's history. They were bad, are bad, and probably always will be bad. That's a strong argument. Overcoming all the negativity is an absolutely monumental task. Rod Marinelli is a unique individual with everything it takes to be a great coach . . . but possibly not in Detroit. We chew up and spit out guys with way better track records than him (Ross, Mariucci). I have to admit, if there is one person who can turn around this putrid organization, it's Marinelli. But, it's a less than 50/50 chance no matter how great he is. This place is a burial ground for players and coaches.

So far Marinelli has proven to be a guy who's capable of getting a group of losers to buy into his system, and that is certainly no small feat. However, "greatness" is defined over a period of time, and I'm not sure if his styles and methods are conducive to long term success, or if it will tune players out after a couple of seasons. Time will tell - starting with the remainder of this season...

Personally, I think the Lions should be glad to be .500 at the end of the season, making the playoffs is a long shot. This team has made some strides, but has a LONG way to go. The cream puff part of the schedule is over. I see them going 2-5 or 1-6 the rest of the way. But .500 is a step in the right direction. I'll be happy with that - so I don't consider this to be 'negative'.

The problem is people can't say positive things about the lions without 10 people jumping down their throats for it. This is the same in most cities, but more pronounced here since people aren't really fans of the Lions. Just try to enjoy the victories and hope we can continue to show success. It would be nice to have players we can keep here instead of lose guys to free agency.

My prediction.. Lions beat the Giants and Packers next two games. I was at that Cardinals Game... we are way better than we showed the other day. If we can shore up the Right side of our line we can win them both.

Go Lions!