thewave84

Why is this Lions' board so negative?

Ok, and Millen has had 6 years with the Lions. Why is it impossible that the team might be good this year?

Landry turned a team that didn't exist into a playoff team in 6 years. Millen has had 6 years to turn around an existing team.

TheWave,

No it is possible. However, you need to see concrete proof (or even imaginary proof) that this is possible. Some see it in the draft. So far this season they haven't done much to wow me.

I don't think you need proof to have optimism. There is certainly no proof that the Lions are going to be better next year. The question is whether or not you feel compelled to disregard any postivie signs. I guess that is fine if that is what you want to do. The thing that kills me is that there are so many posters here who act like it is required to disregard positive signs, because, after all, they are the Lions.

Am I the only one who goes to motownsports to talk about the Tigers but goes to mlive to talk about the Lions? I try to talk about the Lions here, but people just beat me down.

Another possibility for why people are so negative about the Lions is that if the expectations are low then any modicum of success is a plus.

And then there's the people who like to complain about anything.

So for a team that has been historically awful, I'd say the board is probably right where it ought to be. And if the Lions go 4-1 before their Week 6 bye, you can bump the Lions Breakout Year thread you started and I'm sure all the skeptics who posted there will gladly eat their crow with huge helpings of cornbread and Kool-Aid.:happy:

The breakout year thread was started by 84Lives, not me. But if the Lions start off well I'll probably bump this thread. :wink:

The breakout year thread was started by 84Lives, not me. But if the Lions start off well I'll probably bump this thread. :wink:

Oops! I stopped at the "84". You two just look so alike to me!

In those first 5 games, we have the Raiders, Vikes (in Detroit), Eagles, Bears (in Detroit), and Redskins. If we can't beat the Raiders, Redskins, and the Vikes (who are starting a rookie QB) at home, I'll be really disappointed.

And then there's the people who like to complain about anything.

Actually, we complain about everything and anything. Geez, you'd think you could get it right?

I'd write what I think, but DTroppens and Buddha's posts reflect my thoughts on the Lions.

I stopped drinking the Kool-Aid after Thanksgiving 2005. I want results, not talk. As the old saying goes, talk is cheap. Press conferences, hype, and "A+ drafts" mean nothing to me. If I am to follow this team, I need to see results on the field and a commitment from all levels of the organization.

Landry turned a team that didn't exist into a playoff team in 6 years. Millen has had 6 years to turn around an existing team.

Millen turned a team that missed the playoffs by a field goal (in very Lion-esque fashion) and made them the losingest team in the history of modern football.

1) I realize the team he inherited was old and not that good (after all, they were the Lions)

2) the League almost MANDATES parity, something it never used to do. Which makes what has happened to the Lions that much more egregious.

I don't think you need proof to have optimism. There is certainly no proof that the Lions are going to be better next year. The question is whether or not you feel compelled to disregard any postivie signs. I guess that is fine if that is what you want to do. The thing that kills me is that there are so many posters here who act like it is required to disregard positive signs, because, after all, they are the Lions.

Am I the only one who goes to motownsports to talk about the Tigers but goes to mlive to talk about the Lions? I try to talk about the Lions here, but people just beat me down.

The only positive sign I see with the Lions is Calvin Johnson. That's it.

The only positive sign I see with the Lions is Calvin Johnson. That's it.

Also Ernie Sims - if he doesn't get a concussion - and Roy Williams (FIRST DOWN!!!)

Outside of that, not much

There are some reasons, but who knows when they will click and starting bringing wins.

I would've loved to see the Lions pick someone with one of those two first picks they had (and not drop down like they did) who could've worked in the linebacking corps with Sims. What a great opportunity to get two solid young kids at LB pretty much at the same time to grow together.

Also Ernie Sims - if he doesn't get a concussion - and Roy Williams (FIRST DOWN!!!)

Outside of that, not much

I suppose so.

I find it ironic that we are being asked why Lions fans are so negative and the one thread opened to talk about positives was named cornbread.

See, look everyone...something NOT negative!!!!

Now that I think about it, I suppose not...

Ok, so Millen is an idiot and will never succeed, and WCF is loyal to a fault and must not care because he is willing to continue to let an idiot be a GM.

What about past NFL teams that took a long time to succeed? I'm not sure about my facts, but I think Tom Landry with the Cowboys had like 20 years of losing before turning things around and winning a super bowl. Also (Art Rooney/Chuck Noll?) the Steelers had many years of losing before turning the team into a dominant one.

1) The Cowboys were an expansion team, and within 5 years he had them to a NFL championship game.

2) The Steelers did suck for a long time, but the NFL back then is much different then it is now, it's not governed for parity. Chuck Noll took them to a Super Bowl in 3 years though.

I guess I refuse to believe that no Lions' team has a chance to succeed as long as Millen is GM. Or that any draft pick could possibly pan out, or any current player that the Lions have could be good, all because of Millen's GM influence.

Why do you refuse to believe that? Don't you think he's had enough time? All the players/coaches who have failed over the last 6 years were his. Draft picks can pan out, broken clocks are even right twice a day, however in the NFL you have to have a much higher percentage pan out then Millen does, this is directly related to his incompetance. When the person in charge of everything in your organization is an incompetent buffoon, this tends to lead to system wide failure.

I'm not sure why you don't understand the negativity. The Lions have year after year made a fool out of anyone who talked the team up during the offseason. You might think that under those circumstances a person would just not say anything, but there's a lot of passion where the Lions are involved. I wouldn't be surprised if those who are the most negative really have the most deep-seated passion to see the Lions succeed. They just can't say it out loud anymore, because history supports the notion that it's just another heartbreak waiting to happen.

For me, this is year 2 of the Marinelli era. I just don't care about Morningweg or Marriucci or Rogers or Williams or Millen or Bly, etc. Talking about the past makes me feel negative, because it's a negative past. But I'm feeling positive about what the new coach is up to.

I don't mind people being negative about the past, because that is deserved. The problem that I have with this board is that most comments about the future are also negative.

I agree with you, year 2 of the Marinelli era, let's just see what happens instead of just giving up, like at least a half-dozen posters above have already done.

Wave I agree with you. Bad thing is most of the negative posts are true, but after reading it a thousand times it just doesnt have the same effect.

Why is this forum so negative????

Simple. Because none of the extremely positive Lions fans were able to conduct themselves in a positive enough manner to avoid being banned. No ****. At least two people that run Kool-Aid Lions boards were run from here as they lacked the intellectual capacity to defend Lions without resorting to cheap name calling and personal attacks. It really is kind of funny as its always the people that are supposedly positive that end up getting banned for being totally argumentative aholes.

Hongbit is true - that is pretty funny now that I think about it.

Although K2F was run because he was insane.

interesting theory hong...

therefore if an intelligent, reasoned, yet positive poster were to post...he/she would stand a reasonable chance to be heard?...

and not be shouted down immediately with curses of millen lover, et al?...

i would like to think so as well...but i'm not so sure...

the kneejerk, automatic, conditioned response of many (and i do not deny that the reasons have existed for many years for such conditioning) may have to be altered first...

as john lennon so eloquently put it...all we are saying is give peace a chance