Oblong

Brian Bluhm Memorial part II - take a bow

Brian was a site supporter. He had the most posts here to date and a total that will take a long time to surpass. The donations came from those of us who "knew" him here. It's more than appropriate to include the website.

One more thing. I got to thinking and remembered reading that the lines can only be 20 characters (including spaces)...

Mattie is correct, the character requirements need to be kept in mind for the bricks purchased.

Here is the requirements from the Mud Hens site for the 16"x16" granite brick being considered:

6 lines of 20 characters each – including spaces

If I can throw out a suggestion for consideration... perhaps the text on the 16"x16" granite brick should be kept simple, and smaller additional bricks could be purchased to be placed next to the larger brick to hold more causual information we want to include to remember him in our own way.

Here is an image of the bricks available from the Mud Hens:

toledomudhens_1945_31312165

Maybe in additon to brick "C," we purchase brick "B?" It would be an additional $175, but it would give us more room to honor him the way we choose. Brick "A" is an additional $75. Just a thought to chew on...

I have tried to share a few things with the family, and I think his dad has seen some of the examples. What has been done so far has been mostly on the money with what they would do. Obviously, though, we want you all to decide.

I think if they wanted one thing right now, it would be to put he was a devoted Tigers fan. Outside of that, if there is room, they would want to include some of his other interests, devotion to God, etc. But all things aside, you guys are doing a great job, and I think all is well.

Maybe for the Mud Hens brick we could do something like this:

Brian Bluhm

1981-2007

Devoted Tigers Fan!

We miss you estrepe1

Motownsports.com

Then as MWG said we could purchase a smaller brick that could say (I don't know the requirements for the smaller bricks so it's just a suggestion):

Brian Bluhm

MS Civil Engineering

Virginia Tech

University

I've been in contact with Brian's oldest sister via Facebook, giving her updates as to how our plans are coming along. I mentioned some of the various ideas people have put forth about how we'd like to donate the remaining money once we've purchased plaques and bricks, and she agreed that it would be awesome if the donation could help other kids experience the game of baseball in one way or another.

She spoke with her parents, and they aren't sure if there happens to be a local Little League organization near their (her parents') place, but her parents did say they would fully support us donating our extra funds to the Detroit Little League.

On Monday I'll give the Whitecaps a call again, and will hopefully be able to get some solid info on price and space available for a message.

I've been in contact with Brian's oldest sister via Facebook, giving her updates as to how our plans are coming along. I mentioned some of the various ideas people have put forth about how we'd like to donate the remaining money once we've purchased plaques and bricks, and she agreed that it would be awesome if the donation could help other kids experience the game of baseball in one way or another.

She spoke with her parents, and they aren't sure if there happens to be a local Little League organization near their (her parents') place, but her parents did say they would fully support us donating our extra funds to the Detroit Little League.

On Monday I'll give the Whitecaps a call again, and will hopefully be able to get some solid info on price and space available for a message.

On the Tigers pregame show for the past two days, Jim Price has interviewed the person who is in charge of the Detroit Tigers Foundation. They help little leagues, build ball fields, introduce inter-city kids to baseball, collect gloves for poor children, and donate to other baseball related organizations.

I think this organization would an excellent way to help kids experience the game. Let's try to get in touch with someone from the organization and see what we can do. Here's the website: http://detroit.tigers.mlb.com/det/community/index.jsp?partnerId=2007hp_undertower_det_foundation&affiliateID=2007hp_undertower_det_foundation

Does everyone think this sounds like a good idea?

Has anyone made any contact with the Tigers themselves yet? If not, I may have a contact to put someone in touch.

Originally Posted by Tigercub33

I like the plan Oblong suggested.

I hope someone thanks those in Lakeland - how amazing to get 3 bricks for free.

Yoda jumped right on this and the Lakeland guys jumped back in in this. Those of us here know that things do not normally move that fast. He had our answer in less than 1 day. It was the best news we had out of the staff this year. Huey was even happy.

Has anyone made any contact with the Tigers themselves yet? If not, I may have a contact to put someone in touch.
I would suggest you PM Oblong, he could answer that question?

This has been taken care of.

Still waiting to hear back from the Whitecaps. I left a message on Tuesday. I'll give another call sometime next week, if I don't hear anything soon.

As for the text, I'd like to include his degree after his name but I"m not sure on how it's supposed to look. Would it be:

Brian Bluhm M.S. Civil Engineering

Virginia Tech University

1981-2007

Devoted Baseball Fan

Dropping the "University" from "Virginia Tech University" will help save a little space and is also the preferred name for VT. The link below has a bit more about the name.

http://www.branding.unirel.vt.edu/identity_overview.php

I happened upon this site a few weeks ago while helping prepare the bios of those taken in the 4/16 shootings. Your memorial ideas are wonderful and I'm eager to see how everything turns out.

Still waiting to hear back from the Whitecaps. I left a message on Tuesday. I'll give another call sometime next week, if I don't hear anything soon.

Jarecki is notorious for not returning phone calls.

I must clarify that I have no knowledge of anyone contacting the Tigers regarding the purchase of brick memorials or other memorials for Comerica. I do know that regarding donations to the funds that they have been contacted, and this has been taken care of.

Last night while at a Whitecaps game I spoke with Jim Jarecki in person. He apologized for not getting back with me yet, saying it was disrespectful to Brian's memory for taking so long to get in touch with me, and he promised me he'd give a call to me by Thursday with a price quote.

He showed me the bench Brian's plaque will go on, and he's thinking it'll probably be around 6" by 24" in size.

Dropping the "University" from "Virginia Tech University" will help save a little space and is also the preferred name for VT. The link below has a bit more about the name.

http://www.branding.unirel.vt.edu/identity_overview.php

I happened upon this site a few weeks ago while helping prepare the bios of those taken in the 4/16 shootings. Your memorial ideas are wonderful and I'm eager to see how everything turns out.

Thanks for the info! Well you're a long way from home I see, welcome to the board (from an ex-Yooper).

Another update from the Whitecaps side of things. Yesterday Jim Jarecki called me back. He had just spoken with the engraver, and said they couldn't give him a quote on price yet, because that will be based on how must stuff we get engraved. Jim asked me to e-mail him what we'd like on the plaque, in order to send the info off to the engraver so they can get us a price quote.

The plaque for Brian will be 7" tall by 24" across. It will be put on one of the benches up in front of the main ticket counters.

This is what I told Jim we would like engraved:

In Memory of

BRIAN R. BLUHM

M.S. Civil Engineering, Virginia Tech University

1981-2007

Devoted Tigers Fan

We Miss You!

Motownsports.com

Potthole, can you check the post above? It suggests dropping University from the third line. Other than that, I think everything is fine.

Is his degree correct? I did get your PM.

I will contact the Mud Hens this week.

I think the degree is correct. I sent Brian's sister a message with that text, and she said it was perfect. She also showed her parents the text, and she says they love it too. Because they did not mention any having to change anything on there, I am pretty sure the degree is correct.

As for dropping 'university' from the third line, I will shoot an e-mail to Jim Jarecki to ask to have that done.

Weren't we going to include his web handle? "We Miss You Estrepe1" or something like that? Or was that for a different one. Not a big deal or anything, just wondering.

There were quite a few ideas tossed out there, and I never really noticed one single "we choose this one" type of opinion. As such, I made a judgement call and went with parts of the ones I liked best.

Fantastic work on the plaque, guys. I'll have to plan a Grand Rapids trip once it's installed, so I can tell everybody present what an honor it was to know Brian, if only in the virtual sense.

Fantastic work on the plaque, guys. I'll have to plan a Grand Rapids trip once it's installed, so I can tell everybody present what an honor it was to know Brian, if only in the virtual sense.

Same here. I plan on visiting Lakeland soon, so I'll definately visit the memorial. Perhaps WM too! Keep up the great work, you all.