Oblong

Brian Bluhm Memorial part II - take a bow

I definitely like the idea of including his messageboard handle. Just throwing this out there -

BRIAN BLUHM

M.S. Civil Engineering, Virginia Tech University

1981-2007

Devoted Baseball Fan

We miss you Estrepe1!

Motownsports.com

I might have screwed up where that M.S. is supposed to go...

Shaggy's does look pretty good, a bit cleaner

Also, whoever had the idea for a VT Logo, I like that. If one side of the brick could have the D and the other side could have the VT, I think that would look outstanding (yet not too cluttered)

I like Yoda's and Shaggy's suggestions, but I'd give the slight edge to Shaggy's modified version.

Just a note about the idea of logos (VTech, D, Hobbes, etc.). Those are all copyrighted symbols/images, and any usage of them would almost certainly have to be approved by the copyright holders. Using the images on an internet messageboard is one thing; permanently engraving them in stone is a much different situation. Considering what we want to use them for - if we even do - I'd like to think the copyright holders would give us permission, but it's hard to say. There's also the issue of whether the company/person that does the engraving for these organizations can/will even do logos/images. I'm assuming something like that would be significantly more complex than engraving basic characters from the alphabet.

Just a note about the idea of logos (VTech, D, Hobbes, etc.). Those are all copyrighted symbols/images, and any usage of them would almost certainly have to be approved by the copyright holders. Using the images on an internet messageboard is one thing; permanently engraving them in stone is a much different situation. Considering what we want to use them for - if we even do - I'd like to think the copyright holders would give us permission, but it's hard to say. There's also the issue of whether the company/person that does the engraving for these organizations can/will even do logos/images. I'm assuming something like that would be significantly more complex than engraving basic characters from the alphabet.

I am trying to remember what is done for Grave Stones - it was explained to me back in September, but I have forgotten now.

I would think getting sign off from the Tigers would be quite simple - seeing as how it would be at one of their parks and all.

I am trying to remember what is done for Grave Stones - it was explained to me back in September, but I have forgotten now.

I would think getting sign off from the Tigers would be quite simple - seeing as how it would be at one of their parks and all.

Yes, I'd certainly hope the Tigers wouldn't have any problems with it. Hard to say about VTech or Hobbes. I guess I just want to make sure we don't make any plans that include any logos or images unless we first get legal approval to use those logos/images. It'd suck to get a really nice design finalized, only to find out down the road that we can't use it and have to start over again.

Whatever the final decision is on what is put, I can feel the love and compassion throughout these boards. (I know I'm getting a little soft, but hear me out.) You all...and I mean YOU ALL...meant so much to Brian, and I am constantly amazed when I read through these threads to see all of the messages and to hear all the kind words. You all are doing a wonderful job!

I will show his sister the current ideas and see what she thinks. I'm sure she'll be overwhelmed. THANK YOU!

Whatever the final decision is on what is put, I can feel the love and compassion throughout these boards. (I know I'm getting a little soft, but hear me out.) You all...and I mean YOU ALL...meant so much to Brian, and I am constantly amazed when I read through these threads to see all of the messages and to hear all the kind words. You all are doing a wonderful job!

I will show his sister the current ideas and see what she thinks. I'm sure she'll be overwhelmed. THANK YOU!

Please let us know your preference as well. Thanks!

I definitely like the idea of including his messageboard handle. Just throwing this out there -

I might have screwed up where that M.S. is supposed to go...

I don't know if I liked MotownSports being on there. Kind of seems out of place. His messageboard handle is fine on there though

BRIAN BLUHM

1981-2007

Devoted Baseball Fan

We miss you Estrepe1!

That's perfect

Yeah, I like that better as well (FT/TramLou collaboration). I considered as much but figured the inclusion of the website would explain "estrepe1".

I haven't followed all of these threads, have the Tigers been contacted?

BRIAN BLUHM

1981-2007

Devoted Baseball Fan

We miss you Estrepe1!

This one gets my vote.

I think "Brian Bluhm" should go on top. I know we knew him as Estrepe but putting his real name on top seems more appropriate for a memorial. As years go by, others (maybe relatives or friends) who are not part of the board will see it and "Estrepe" on top might look strange to them. We miss you Estrepe! " at the bottom works better.

BRIAN BLUHM

1981-2007

Devoted Baseball Fan

We miss you Estrepe1!

This one gets my vote.

I like that one too.

I like Shaggy's also. I think that motownsports should go there because it is coming from us! I know there are other bricks that have who it is from on there (i.e. mom and dad, friends names, and so on.) I just like the idea of having it on there.

One more thing. I got to thinking and remembered reading that the lines can only be 20 characters (including spaces) so the "M.S. Civil Engineering, Virginia Tech University" would have to be on seperate lines and we only have 6 lines to use. It would have to look something like this:

BRIAN BLUHM

1981-2007

MS Civil Engineering

VTech

Devoted Tigers Fan

We miss you estrepe1

Guess we should have considered all of the "requirements." Looks like the Mowtownsports.com won't be able to fit.

1981-2007 should be right below his name. Otherwise it almost looks like those are the years he was at Virginia Tech.

Also -- and I'm nitpicking -- but estrepe1 should start with the lower case e, not the upper case E.

I also like mattie's original idea of recognizing him as a Tigers fan. Sure he was a baseball fan, but if not for his love of the Detroit Tigers we would've never had known him. I don't think it's an insignificant distinction.

Here's my humble suggestion:

BRIAN R. BLUHM

1981-2007

Devoted Tigers Fan

estrepe1 - Gone But Not Forgotten

I know about the whole copyrighted logo thing, but ideally, i think something like this would be good if the engraver could do so. It would encorporate everything that's been talked about thus far:

brianbluhm.jpg

One more thing. I got to thinking and remembered reading that the lines can only be 20 characters (including spaces) so the "M.S. Civil Engineering, Virginia Tech University" would have to be on seperate lines and we only have 6 lines to use.

Not for the Lakeland one. Really, we get three pavers, so a lot could go on them. Maybe we should come up with something extra for the lakeland one?

We probably need to rule out images though. The letters are sandblasted into the paver, I believe. Images like that would be too hard.