Oblong

Brian Bluhm Memorial part II - take a bow

I've unstuck the thread where people discussed giving to our little fund. You can find the original here.

You should all be very proud of yourselves. I've received about $5500 in contributions. This money will be used by us to honor Brian in our own way. I'd also like to note that I know some of you have directly contributed to the family fund and you should also take a moment to be proud.

I'd like to use this to discuss the ways we can best do this. I'd like to get a general consensus. In the other thread I offered the idea of modest memorials at the different levels of Tiger organizations with the rest of the money going to the family fund. I actually think it was someone else's idea. Several of you agreed. If there's other ideas I'd like to hear them in this thread.

If you would still like to contribute, please send me a PM and I'll give you the details.

As for the bricks/plaques.... I know potthole is working with West Michigan. I have a contact at Toledo through Ranger and I'll call them in a few days if I don't hear back from Ranger. Has anybody contacted Lakeland, Erie, or Detroit?

I absolutely love the bricks/plaques up and down the organization ladder. I still really liked the idea of using some money for tickets to a game for some kids who don't have a chance to attend games. Taking a chance to share Brian's love of the game with some kids and maybe having a hand in developing the next Brian (as far as a love for the game) would be a fitting tribute. Whatever is decided I am sure will be great and I am honored to be a part of such a caring group of people.

I still really liked the idea of using some money for tickets to a game for some kids who don't have a chance to attend games. Taking a chance to share Brian's love of the game with some kids and maybe having a hand in developing the next Brian (as far as a love for the game) would be a fitting tribute.

I know all the proceeds from Toledo's brick program go to exactly this effort.

I know all the proceeds from Toledo's brick program go to exactly this effort.

Thats awesome, I always figured the bricks were just another revenue stream for most clubs. Toledo deserves a round of applause.

We're getting 3 bricks in Lakeland where we can put whatever text we want.

That's another thing I wanted to discuss. What do we want the bricks to say? I'd asked Brian's family if they preferred anything and they were comfortable with us deciding.

Is Lakeland going to charge for this?

I'd like to use this to discuss the ways we can best do this. I'd like to get a general consensus. In the other thread I offered the idea of modest memorials at the different levels of Tiger organizations with the rest of the money going to the family fund. I actually think it was someone else's idea. Several of you agreed. If there's other ideas I'd like to hear them in this thread.
Take a bow yourself, mister. I still like your plan the best.

I like the plan Oblong suggested.

I hope someone thanks those in Lakeland - how amazing to get 3 bricks for free.

I like the plan Oblong suggested.

I hope someone thanks those in Lakeland - how amazing to get 3 bricks for free.

Oh I have, trust me.

Once we decide and get them, I plan on letting the media know because they may have played a part in getting donations. I know some who came here after reading on Brian and this site and donated. Certainly they'll be told that some did it for free.

It would be nice (though I expect difficult) to arrange a small plaque somewhere in Comerica Park. Or even just his initials.

If I don't get an e-mail back from the Whitecaps by Wednesday, I'll give them a call. I'm trying to find out the price of the plaque, as well as what limitations/rules there are for a message to be placed on it. I'll report info back as soon as I have it. :classic:

That is awesome about the generous people we have here with the donations, Brian would be touched.

I like the idea of giving back to the kids. Maybe somewhere near his home, a little league could use a memorial donation. Let's touch a ton of kids close to his family. A score board, an honorary foul pole, a locker room update, etc...

We're getting 3 bricks in Lakeland where we can put whatever text we want.

Awsome!! Good work Yoda, & whoever else had a hand in this on the Lakeland end of things.

It would be nice (though I expect difficult) to arrange a small plaque somewhere in Comerica Park. Or even just his initials.

I agree with this....if we can't get a small plaque, I feel something at or around Comerica Park would be the best. I know this is the hardest to do, but it would make it more meaningful.

Good job on the bricks, Yoda! I take back all that nasty stuff I wrote about you over the urinal at JMS. Both you & Rob, as well as the rest of the crew, should be proud.

I like the idea of buying tickets to a Tigers game for disadvantaged kids in Brians name. I'm sure that the Tigers would co-operate. This also might be something that we could do annually. I'd sure continue to contribute.

Ok, I spoke with Jim Jarecki of the Whitecaps, and all is looking great for a plaque.

He didn't have an estimate on size or cost of the plaque yet, but will make some phonecalls, and will have that info for me real soon.

Jim asked that we start thinking about what we'd like the plaque to say, because he thinks he can get it up in time for our May 27th Motown Gathering. I told him we'd probably have something like, "In memory of Brian Bluhm," along with birthdate and date he was killed, and then probably a little message of our own.

So, we should have some serious talks about what we'd like this plaque to say.

You know something that might be nicer than buying a brick would be to start a Brian Bluhm Motown Sports Scholarship Award given to a specific student at VT each year (or a student from Brian's high school?). There are a lot of corporations that would match those funds if the word got out.

Or possibly have a Brian Bluhm Day each year at Comerica Park at pay for underpriveleged kids to attend a game.

Just brainstorming....

You know something that might be nicer than buying a brick would be to start a Brian Bluhm Motown Sports Scholarship Award given to a specific student at VT each year (or a student from Brian's high school?). There are a lot of corporations that would match those funds if the word got out.

His parents have already set up a scholarship fund in his name so this would be pretty redundant. Some people chose to donate to this fund and the information is in the previous thread for anybody who would still like to.

Or possibly have a Brian Bluhm Day each year at Comerica Park at pay for underpriveleged kids to attend a game.

I like this idea a lot.....I think we should seriously look into this.

I think they brick idea DOES pay for the kids to go see games....

It honestly sounds like everyone likes the ideas Oblong has put forth - they are just saying them in different ways.

I want to point out that I did not give through the site yet. After I settle down and start to get to the point where I have money to spend, I will give as significant of a donation as I can. At this point, it just wasn't something I was able to squeeze into the budget.

Nice job everybody.

I think they brick idea DOES pay for the kids to go see games....

The brick program at Toledo does indeed pay for kids to get out to ballgames. If we purchase one of the 16x16 granite bricks, which is $1000 (and, from what I saw at the stadium a couple of weeks ago, looks a ton better than the other bricks), that's $1000 worth of tickets for kids to watch games. With tickets under $10 each for Mudhens games, that'll be a lot of kids that'll get to see live baseball.