DTroppens

Did you like the Lions draft?

Your analysis is correct. The Lions have severly weakened the QB position for next year (unless Orlavsky improves by leaps and bounds). Stanton IS McCown, only younger and with - as the Lions will tell us - "it." Whatever "it" is. Oh yeah, he loves to play on special teams, that must mean he'll be a great QB.

How can you say that Orlovsky is significantly weaker as a QB than McCown? I don't get it. Before last year even started there was talk about Orlovsky possibly unseating McCown as the backup. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if Orlovsky has surpassed McCown by now in the coaches' eyes.

Maybe this is the real reason that McCown asked to be traded - because he didn't want to be a 3rd string QB.

How the hell did Drew Stanton go above Troy Smith in this draft????

Because Drew Stanton is approx 4 inches taller and is a "character" guy.

One more note - I forgot we did give McCown a shot. We put our back up QB at wide receiver. I forgot about that. Heck, he was more than willing to help his team to do that.

Franky, it is just more evidence that they weren't terribly enamored with McCown as a QB. If they were, they wouldn't have risked him getting hurt by using him at WR.

do people honestly think they could've brought in players in this draft that would catapolt this team from 3-13 to a playoff team? give me a break, this team is still rebuilding.

See "Chargers, San Diego" or "Saints, New Orleans"

One more note - I forgot we did give McCown a shot. We put our back up QB at wide receiver. I forgot about that. Heck, he was more than willing to help his team to do that.

If the Lions got their "imposed will" right ever (WR) we would've been able to spent time getting other picks, using monies and time luring others at other positions. To this point that hasn't happened. That inefficiency hurts the future and what we can do in the future to other positions. I know you all can see that. The same with QB. Essentially the Lions fired a guy and hired someone else before finding out if the guy can do the job he was hired for. They spent time and money that could've been used elsewhere to recruit him. Yet they never gave him a shot. That is about as inefficient as you can get.

I can't believe we are arguing this hard. This is the Lions.

i'm gonna let you in something. it's common practice in the NFL to carry 3 QB's. now jeff garcia left in free agency. joey harrington was owed a lot of cash. now hopefully you don't have such a fascination with harrington like mccowan, but the economical thing to do was get rid of harrington. now you have 2 open spots. so they signed kitna and mccowan. kitna was deemed the better QB. it's just normal to carry 3 QB's. the lions are no different

How the hell did Drew Stanton go above Troy Smith in this draft????

These are the questions that kill me. Did you stop paying all attention after the bowl games ended? Every ranking available over the past 3 months has had Stanton as a 2nd rounder and Smith as a day 2 QB. It really was no surprise at all.

i don't consider a pro bowler in san diego, being a backup/journeyman QB.

Do you even read? My post addressing you question has nothing to do with Josh McCown.

You made it seem like it was impossible to go from horrible one year to playoffs the next. I proved that wrong.

You asked if players could have been brought in THIS DRAFT to improve the team to make it playoff caliber. The answer is YES, plain and simple. Did they? No.

- The Lions had to take CJ second overall given all the hype and talent he has, but he had BETTER pan out.

- Drafting Stanton with their first pick in the second round is certainly not what I'd call ideal given the glaring needs on defense the club has. If the Lions had kept their original selection in the second round and picked a LB, then traded up to pick Stanton I'd been happier, but I think Stanton is too risky for the Lions at this point.

- Trading for two additional second round picks sounded neat at the time, but the players they selected were either projected to be available in the third round on down, or the players they picked don't really fill a need they have. The Hawaiian guy has raw talent, but it sounds like he's years away from being able to contribute. The safety Alexander doesn't make too much sense to me, since safety isn't a glaring need like CB, LB, and DE are.

Do you even read? My post addressing you question has nothing to do with Josh McCown.

You made it seem like it was impossible to go from horrible one year to playoffs the next. I proved that wrong.

You asked if players could have been brought in THIS DRAFT to improve the team to make it playoff caliber. The answer is YES, plain and simple. Did they? No.

now all detroit needs to do is sign a pro bowl QB and we'll be set.

now all detroit needs to do is sign a pro bowl QB and we'll be set.

Tell me which pro-bowl QB the San Diego Chargers signed after their horrible season(s)?

Also, both teams addressed their defensive questions in the draft. The Lions did not. Hence the point SEVERAL people have made, myself included.

Tell me which pro-bowl QB the San Diego Chargers signed after their horrible season(s)?

well i didn't know 9-7 was horrible. sorry

well i didn't know 9-7 was horrible. sorry

What are you talking about? He was referring to the Chargers going from 4-12 to 12-4 in 2003 and 2004. They loaded up impact players on defense and in the trenches in the draft that year.

Wow.

what are you wowing about? maybe it would help if you told me a year, since i have to assume you are talking about them going from 9-7 to 14-2, but really i'm not educated enough to interpret the meaning of wow in this instance

Because Drew Stanton is approx 4 inches taller and is a "character" guy.

Actually, to be more specific Millen said they drafted Stanton because he has "it", whatever "it" is.

What are you talking about? He was referring to the Chargers going from 4-12 to 12-4 in 2003 and 2004. They loaded up impact players on defense and in the trenches in the draft that year.

see that would've helped if he would've told me a year.

so one team makes a big turn around, maybe a lot has to do with having the best RB in the game, and the young QB they drafted in the 2nd round developing into the franchise QB

I was perfectly happy with the draft all the way up until the Stanton selection. At that point they had traded down and gotten the extra third and had sent McCown off for the extra fourth. I figured it was Marinelli time. With Durant and Harris both on the board, and our starting MLB at best a special teams player only, I thought it was a no brainer. Then Millen showed us why the Lions are the hardest team to love.

After that, it just seemed to fall apart. Why did we have to trade all those picks? I thought that we were rebuilding and by rebuilding adding lots of players, not just a few (too quickly chosen) projects.

I suspect one of the primary goals of this draft was to keep Martz happy so that he doesn't bolt after this year given the fact that he runs such a proprietary offense and his guys are tailored to fit its unique schemes.

what are you wowing about? maybe it would help if you told me a year, since i have to assume you are talking about them going from 9-7 to 14-2, but really i'm not educated enough to interpret the meaning of wow in this instance

Try following a conversation.

2000 - The Chargers were 1-15, they then drafted VERY well and jumped to 5-11 and then jumped to 8-8

2003 - The Chargers were 4-12. They then got a gift wrapped package on draft day from the Giants and moved to 12-4

2005 - The New Orleans Saints were 3-13. They then drafted well and brought in Drew Brees and went to 10-6.

You build through the draft. I can point out numerous teams who have picked in the top 10 (meaning records under .500) and the next year they go to playoffs...in part to due to having a good draft.

Wow 2007 has already been played wow must hve missed it.....As much as I agree Millen has a bad grade when it comes to drafts but I mean last year Marinelli did the draft and we got 2 starters and more how about we let the kids on the field before we label them busts....

Wow 2007 has already been played wow must hve missed it.....

Wow, I don't think they did. Wow, is that ok with you? WOW

Try following a conversation.

2000 - The Chargers were 1-15, they then drafted VERY well and jumped to 5-11 and then jumped to 8-8

2003 - The Chargers were 4-12. They then got a gift wrapped package on draft day from the Giants and moved to 12-4

2005 - The New Orleans Saints were 3-13. They then drafted well and brought in Drew Brees and went to 10-6.

You build through the draft. I can point out numerous teams who have picked in the top 10 (meaning records under .500) and the next year they go to playoffs...in part to due to having a good draft.

nowhere did you mention what years so i was hoping you were going to be more specific but instead i got sarcastic responses, but i digress

this team has numerous holes. that san diego team already had a great foundation with drew brees and LT. detroit doesn't have that foundation. what do you do 2-3 years from now, when kitna is gone? now you have 2 young QB's who can assume the role hopefully. do you take another joey harrington who could possibly set your franchise back?

I suspect one of the primary goals of this draft was to keep Martz happy so that he doesn't bolt after this year given the fact that he runs such a proprietary offense and his guys are tailored to fit its unique schemes.

That is a thought I had not considered. That might be possible. You give the guy the tools he wants to work with and he will be less apt to leave hopefully.