Motor City Sonics

POLL: With the 2nd pick the Detroit Lions take....

With the 2nd pick in the NFL Draft The Detroit Lions...  

83 members have voted

1. 1. With the 2nd pick in the NFL Draft The Detroit Lions...

• select Gaines Adams
    • select Calvin Johnson
    • select Brady Quinn
    • select JeMarcus Russell
    • select Joe Thomas
    • trade the #2 pick to Tampa Bay for the #4 picks and more
    • trade the #2 pick to Atlanta for the #8 pick and more
    • pass
    • other

I say they will trade with Tampa Bay for their 1st rounder, their 2 2nd rounders this year and a 2nd rounder next year.

And with the #4 pick they select Gaines Adams (maybe Joe Thomas)

1. Oakland - JeMarcus Russell

2. Tampa Bay - Calvin Johnson

3. Cleveland - Brady Quinn

4. Detroit - Gaines Adams

If they draft a QB w/ the #2 pick, I've vowed not to watch ONE game this year, for the first time in 20 years I will be ashamed to be a lions fan.

I've heard, and like, the idea that they could let the clock run almost all the way down, try to squeeze a juicy deal out of Tampa, Atlanta, or someone else trying to move up and then, if nobody bites, draft Calvin Johnson.

If this happens, they are still presented with options:

They can trade him a la Eli Manning a few years back, or

They can keep him and stretch the field w/ him, utilizing Roy and Mike Furrey underneath like the I. Bruce, A. Hakim, T. Holt trio under Martz in the past.

Ouch....one of the last drafts that we got right!

The best draft in Lion's history. I still miss Barry Sanders and his awesome moves.

I have a gut feeling they will get a deal worked out with Atlanta that involves the #8 and Atlanta's two number 2's. They will select Gaines Adams, if he falls, or Leon Hall with the #8. They will then package some number 2's and 5's to get back into the top 15 to get Willis.

I believe that they will try to trade the #2 to teams interested in Calvin Johnson. The offers will suck because the teams will think Millen will be too scared to take another WR in the 1st round. The Lions select Johnson and then proceed to trade him ala' SD when they took Eli Manning.

They'll take Calvin, and then trade him, cause I don't think they're going to get a deal done before their 15 minutes are up.

I believe that they will try to trade the #2 to teams interested in Calvin Johnson. The offers will suck because the teams will think Millen will be too scared to take another WR in the 1st round. The Lions select Johnson and then proceed to trade him ala' SD when they took Eli Manning.

I think you are wrong there because at least two teams REALLY want Calvin Johnson - they will be bidding against each other so the Millen factor has little to do with it this time.

As far as the Mandarich thing. The Lions didn't get anything right. Green Bay got it wrong. The Lions were so, so lucky that they passed on Barry for that over-hyped Sparty. Of course, Green Bay has been to two Super Bowls since then and the Lions, well.....

Not to be a prick, but does anyone know other names than Russell and Johnson and Quinn?

I mean do people just toss those names around because that's all they know?

There are so many other options besides them.

We don't need a qb or a wr, yet all everyone talks about is these three or so names!

Trust me there is more to speculate about than just these handful of names. Many options that would be just as good, even though they aren't the popular names.

How about some of the top names on D. Leon Hall, Laron Landry, Paul Posluszny, Reggie Nelson.

I know picking them might seem like a bad move, like houston overlooking reggie bush, but come on, there is not really a bush to pick this year. And none of the so called top names really aren't anything we need.

How about some of the top names on D. Leon Hall, Laron Landry, Paul Posluszny, Reggie Nelson.

I know picking them might seem like a bad move, like houston overlooking reggie bush, but come on, there is not really a bush to pick this year. And none of the so called top names really aren't anything we need.

No bush?????????????? I hope you mean no RB like Bush Cause Calvin Johnson is a great WR and is this years bush....

Gaines Adams has been mentioned quite a bit...

Everyone is convinced that Calvin Johnson is the best player in the draft, but the Lions have so many needs. Without an offensive line and a top rated quarterback, as good as Johnson might be, you can't take a wide receiver. That is why the Lions need to use they're entire 15 minutes and listen to all offers, and believe me if Russell is taken by Oakland there will be a lot teams calling. Trade Johnson, and get as many picks as possible. The players I would like to see them take are LaRon Landry or Patrick Willis. In this league you win with defense not offense. Then with the other picks they've acquired they can start to rebuild the offensive and defensive lines.

If this happens, the Lions select Gaines Adams.

I don't know. Millen may be putting up a smoke screen a la Harrington and Julius Peppers a few years ago. If Jamarcus is availible, and we pass on him, I think I might cry.

Not to be a prick, but does anyone know other names than Russell and Johnson and Quinn?

I mean do people just toss those names around because that's all they know?

There are so many other options besides them.

We don't need a qb or a wr, yet all everyone talks about is these three or so names!

Trust me there is more to speculate about than just these handful of names. Many options that would be just as good, even though they aren't the popular names.

Learn the names.

http://www.motownsports.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48038

The Lions will pass on several unbelievable offers and select Calvin Johnson second overall, only to have him break his collarbone in three successive training camps.