Yoda

4-23-07: Detroit Tigers @ Los Angeles Angels, 10:05

Dang, Shelton - you are a glass-half-empty dude, aren't you?

Maroth hasn't pitched particularly well, but the Tigers have won all 3 games that he started and he has pitched at least 5 innings in each. How can you be so sure that tonight he is going to have his worst outing of the year?

Thats kinda what I was getting at in my earlier post. Basically, if Maroth was gonna really get beat up, I would have expected it to come against Toronto. Aside from Vlad, the Angels lineup doesnt scare me that much. Its mostly aging veterans (Cabrera, Anderson), mediocre and overrated players (Matthews, Hillenbrand, Figgins) and unproven young players (Izturis, Napoli, Kotchman)

Without Figgins, Kendrick, Rivera and McPherson, their lineup isnt one that should be counted on to routinely destroy mediocre pitching. Maroth has a chance to get us a quality start here. Whether or not the offense shows up to hit Jered Weaver is gonna be the bigger problem tonight.

Of course, usually when I try and analyze things, the exact opposite happens. So I'm putting money on Maroth and Weaver both being gone by the 4th inning and Sean Casey and Craig Monroe combining for 7 RBIs.

So Maroth has been lucky but Bonderman/Verlander/Robertson haven't been unlucky? That's interesting.

In terms of their won-loss record I agree, I don't care about that either.

Your double negative makes me unsure what you are questioning.

If you read my post, I think Bonderman, Verlander, and Robertson have been doing what they should be doing. Not lucky or unlucky. Maroth has been lucky to be only as bad as he has been. He just isn't very good. It sounds funny to say he has been lucky when he isn't good to begin with. Without the luck, he would be like Durbin on a bad day.

Mike Maroth is kind of like MaryAnn. Maybe not as sexy as Ginger, but you know, deep down, who is going to get the job done OK on a consistent basis ....

Your double negative makes me unsure what you are questioning.

If you read my post, I think Bonderman, Verlander, and Robertson have been doing what they should be doing. Not lucky or unlucky. Maroth has been lucky to be only as bad as he has been. He just isn't very good. It sounds funny to say he has been lucky when he isn't good to begin with. Without the luck, he would be like Durbin on a bad day.

I just think that Maroth is a better pitcher than you do. You are pretty convinced that tonight is going to be his worst outing of the year, I am hopeful that it will be his best.

I think he is quite a bit better than "Durbin on a bad day."

I just think that Maroth is a better pitcher than you do. You are pretty convinced that tonight is going to be his worst outing of the year, I am hopeful that it will be his best.

I think he is quite a bit better than "Durbin on a bad day."

Durbin on a bad day is pretty harsh, I admit. i wouldn't wish that on my worst enemies.

I'm not convinced Maroth will have his worst outing. I just think it is likely.

I don't understand what he ever did to make people think he was good, though.

Mike Maroth is kind of like MaryAnn. Maybe not as sexy as Ginger, but you know, deep down, who is going to get the job done OK on a consistent basis ....

The Professor (Kenny Rogers)

MaryAnn (Mike Maroth)

Gilligan (Fernando Rodney?)

Skipper (Jim Leyland)

Millionaire (Todd Jones)

...and his wife (Bonderman?)

Ginger (Nate Robertson)

The Professor (Kenny Rogers)

MaryAnn (Mike Maroth)

Gilligan (Fernando Rodney?)

Skipper (Jim Leyland)

Millionaire (Todd Jones)

...and his wife (Bonderman?)

Ginger (Nate Robertson)

The 2006 version of Gilligan would have been Jamie Walker.

For me it has more to do with the day of week. Mon-Fri I'm tired as hell when I wake up. Saturday and Sunday I can hear a car drive by at 6 a.m. and be wide awake.

That is the most bizarre and true statement in the world. I'm like a zombie in the morning M-F, but when Sat and Sun hit, I have the hardest time feeling tired enough to stay in bed. Weird

Another thing to keep in mind is that this is the first big game action Maroth has gotten into in a long time....I expect him to get better as time passes

i don't think i'll be able to catch the game :( it's just toooo late and i've been sick and i have to be up by 7am

Maybin with a single and a triple so far. Avg. sitting at .333. OBP around .490, slg around .650.

back to the usual lineup:

TIGERS

Granderson, CF

Polanco, 2B

Sheffield, DH

Ordonez, RF

Guillen, SS

Rodriguez, C

Casey, 1B

Monroe, LF

Inge, 3B

ANGELS

Matthews JR, CF

Cabrera, SS

Guerrero, RF

Anderson, LF

Quinlan, 3B

Hillenbrand, DH

Kotchman, 1B

Napoli, C

Izturis, 2B

(only 4 of those players are hitting above .250 right now)

Maybin with a single and a triple so far. Avg. sitting at .333. OBP around .490, slg around .650.

I wish A level ball was televised or something. This is a good year to be in Lakeland.

I can't even watch Maybin when WM comes to Kane County this year. I saw him make some totally unbelievable catch in center last August. Hopefully he gets promoted to Erie soon so I can travel for some Eastern League games.

I wish A level ball was televised or something. This is a good year to be in Lakeland.

I can't even watch Maybin when WM comes to Kane County this year. I saw him make some totally unbelievable catch in center last August. Hopefully he gets promoted to Erie soon so I can travel for some Eastern League games.

What's nice about him in center isn't just his speed and instincts. The dude has 12 foot long arms. It looks like he's nowhere near the ball and he just sticks out his arm and catches it. Pretty unreal.

Maybin is actually in Lakeland and not in West Michigan.

What's nice about him in center isn't just his speed and instincts. The dude has 12 foot long arms. It looks like he's nowhere near the ball and he just sticks out his arm and catches it. Pretty unreal.

Kind of like Inspector Gadget

I actually find myself these days paying just as much attention to whether or not he strikesout to how many hits he gets in a game. The kid is going to be stellar, but I'm hoping he can cut down on those Ks.

I actually find myself these days paying just as much attention to whether or not he strikesout to how many hits he gets in a game. The kid is going to be stellar, but I'm hoping he can cut down on those Ks.

He's hitting .300 and slugging the crap out of the ball. If he cut down his K's he'd be just ridiculous, but he pretty much is already. As long as he's hitting like that it doesn't matter to me. If he goes into a long slump I'll probably worry. I'm having too much fun watching him produce consistently to really care about the only flaw he really has.

K's dont matter if you're hitting the ball with authority, drawing walks, stealing bases, and playing great defense.

Yeah, it's hard to criticize k's when you're getting on base half the time and slugging like Bonds.

He's hitting .300 and slugging the crap out of the ball. If he cut down his K's he'd be just ridiculous, but he pretty much is already. As long as he's hitting like that it doesn't matter to me. If he goes into a long slump I'll probably worry. I'm having too much fun watching him produce consistently to really care about the only flaw he really has.

That makes me so excited for his future hearing that. :happy:

I'm really envious you get to see him everyday. I came up to Lansing last summer when they played West Michigan just to see Maybin. He had two singles on infield grounders...he was incredibly fast running. Ahhhhh...I CAN'T WAIT TO GET HIM UP HERE!

I'm really envious you get to see him everyday.

I wish! They've been on the road a lot. I've really only seen 6 or 7 games this year.