Oblong

Bluhm Memorial Fund

I've managed to collect about $200 so far from a group of friends that we will pool funds together and donate to various charities throughout the year. They're not Tiger fans and obviously didn't know Brian. I think it's really great that they're joining in with us and I just thought it was worth mentioning even if they'll never read this.

What is the fund address, and are you going to be setting up a bank account for it?

Just put my check in the mail. It's great to see how many people have responded to this. Brian's family should be proud of the number of lives he clearly impacted. When all is said and done I'd love to hear a final tally from Oblong or anyone else as to the number of individual contributors to this fund. It's a fitting tribute to Brian.

Just recieved this note from Brian's sister and wanted to pass it along to anyone coming to the memorial:

thought this was the greatest idea ever, and I will be there in my tigers gear.

rick

In that case, I'll be sporting my Kirk Gibson jersey.

We're up to $5344.

Am I correct in understanding that a simple paypal account would involve no fees if money was not sent via credit card?

Yes, your assumption is correct. The actual name is a personal account and it is free to sign up for it and you may receive funds free, as long as it does NOT originate from a credit card or Paypal Buyer Credit.

that is cool!

Ok, I guess I've got the paypal thing setup. All you need is my email address? Is that right. Email is oblong@wowway.com

Very original, I know.

Does Pay Pal charge a fee when I transfer the funds from Pay Pal to my account on record? If someone sends me $100 and I then have $100 in my pay pal account, will I end up with$100 in my real live bank account? I'd ask them but I hate navigating that site.

It is free to transfer the money from your Paypal account to your bank account. I was not able to locate the restriction that someone mentioned about only being able to receive $500 monthly with a personal account, I'm not sure where that info came from?

It is free to transfer the money from your Paypal account to your bank account. I was not able to locate the restriction that someone mentioned about only being able to receive $500 monthly with a personal account, I'm not sure where that info came from?

See the following page.

https://www.paypal.com/helpcenter/main.jsp;jsessionid=Gs1Tj7gVhWJ8FRsTnHl0bVGpwqBKSSThTNXf2SkBBfkL1TpHwXxS!-300375935?locale=en_US&_dyncharset=UTF-8&cmd=_help-ext&serverInstance=8003&t=solutionTab&ft=browseTab&ps=solutionPanels&solutionTopic=20067&solutionId=11778&isSrch=Yes

After reading it again just now, I'm wondering if I'm interpreting it incorrectly. It says the receiving limit is $500, and later on it talks about the limit being reset each month, so I assumed it was talking about the $500 limit. Now that I'm reading it again, I don't know what to make of it. It doesn't seem to be very clear.

See the following page.

https://www.paypal.com/helpcenter/main.jsp;jsessionid=Gs1Tj7gVhWJ8FRsTnHl0bVGpwqBKSSThTNXf2SkBBfkL1TpHwXxS!-300375935?locale=en_US&_dyncharset=UTF-8&cmd=_help-ext&serverInstance=8003&t=solutionTab&ft=browseTab&ps=solutionPanels&solutionTopic=20067&solutionId=11778&isSrch=Yes

After reading it again just now, I'm wondering if I'm interpreting it incorrectly. It says the receiving limit is $500, and later on it talks about the limit being reset each month, so I assumed it was talking about the $500 limit. Now that I'm reading it again, I don't know what to make of it. It doesn't seem to be very clear.

Ok, I read that and from what I can glean, as long as the payment is NOT for eBay items, non-eBay auctions or goods-other (website sales), they are free of any limit. Here is that statement:

Question :

Is there a limit to the amount of payments Personal accounts can receive?

Answer :

A Yes. Depending on the primary currency of the Personal account, the receiving limit is $500.00 USD, $650.00 CAD, €500.00 EUR, or £250.00 GBP. (The receiving limit is based on the primary currency of the account. If you receive payments in more than one currency, your limit will be calculated based on the total amount you receive each month – after the amount is converted into your primary currency. To view your Personal account limit, log in to your account and click the View Limits link.)

The receiving limit applies to the following payment types: eBay Items, Auction Non-eBay, and Goods-Other (Website sales).

So as long as the contributions are labeled as Service/other, in theory at least there should be NO monthly limit. This may be a moot discussion, according to what Oblong has said, but FWIW there it is!

In that case, I'll be sporting my Kirk Gibson jersey.

I will try and remember my Pudge Jersey. I am sure a Tigers 2006 Playoff hat would not be out of order either...

I communicated in e-mail with Brian's sister last night. She has been on the board although she has not posted yet. She told me how the much the family appreciates how we are remembering him on the board. I think she'll post eventually. She said she wants to stay in touch with us.

Curtis Granderson posted more information about Brian's fund on his myspace blog today.

Brian Bluhm Virginia Tech Civil Engineering Scholarship Fund

c/o Marathon Bank

4095 Valley Pike

Winchester, Va. 22601

I communicated in e-mail with Brian's sister last night. She has been on the board although she has not posted yet. She told me how the much the family appreciates how we are remembering him on the board. I think she'll post eventually. She said she wants to stay in touch with us.

I was communicating with her today via Facebook, and she said she is very touched at the way people on here have been so eager to donate money to whatever memorial fund they choose to donate to.

On our brick idea/plan, she said that Brian would be very humbled by it, but at the same time she thinks he would be secretly excited.

I was communicating with her today via Facebook, and she said she is very touched at the way people on here have been so eager to donate money to whatever memorial fund they choose to donate to.

On our brick idea/plan, she said that Brian would be very humbled by it, but at the same time she thinks he would be secretly excited.

That is nice to hear, pott.

Any update on the Caps helping out with a brick?

Still haven't gotten an e-mail back from them. Lew, the CEO of the Whitecaps, can usually be found walking around the stadium during games. If I don't hear back from anybody by the next game I watch, I'll see if I might be able to talk to him about it.