Oblong

Bluhm Memorial Fund

FYI, trying to set up a special account on PayPal requires a lot of hoops to jump through and may result in the funds getting tied up for a long time -- Deadspin had trouble with this earlier in the year.

But, AFAIK, you can avoid paying PayPal any percentage as long as you set up a personal account instead of a business account. The only difference is that you won't be able to accept money from people who want to use a credit card, it will have to come directly out of their current PayPal balance or their checking account on file. For people who already frequently use PayPal, it's probably no big deal, but it may be uncomfortable for those using it for the first time. (Hope that helps more than it confuses...)

In any case, put me down for $30 (PayPal, check, doesn't matter).

A personal Paypal account will entail no fees on money received, as long as the funs originate from the senders Paypal balance, Paypal Instant Transfer (meaning one's bank account) or Paypal echeck (an electronic check payment). Credit card transactions could be done, but they would charge 4.9% plus $.30 per transaction AND you can only have 5 in a 12 month period. So I would avoid using payments via credit cards on a personal account. Upgrading to a premier/business account would result in a 2.9% charge plus $.30 per transaction irregardless of the funds source (be it bank account or credit card). Just something to think about...

The generosity of this board is pretty incredible and at the same time, unsurprising, because of the quality of people that visit these boards. I don't have PayPal either (let me account lapse a few years back) but I'm sending a $25.00 check to the memorial fund Brian's parents established. Feel free to count that in with the rest of the "total."

A poster at Sportsinferno.com (wingnut5) would like to donate $40. A very generous offer from a poster on another board. So I have PM'ed the information on where to send a check.

We're up to $5344.

Am I correct in understanding that a simple paypal account would involve no fees if money was not sent via credit card?

I think so, if you only got bank transfers and e-checks. As long as it isn't an upgrade to a pro account.

I think so, if you only got bank transfers and e-checks. As long as it isn't an upgrade to a pro account.

as an ebay seller here and there I have gotten a few e-checks for my auctions (don't know if auctions are categorized different then what this would be though) but there are fees attached to the e-checks too...

I will still set up a pay pal account for those who prefer to send money that way.

Please use this thread to state whether you plan on contributing to whatever we decide to do to honor Brian Bluhm. (estrepe1) If you do not wish to publicly tell how much you want to give, then send me a private message.

This will help us decide what we'll have to work with.

Thanks

Please keep us posted as top what is being planned. I for sure will donate to the cause. Brian was a good man and a great Tiger fan. Please advise.

I will still set up a pay pal account for those who prefer to send money that way.

Some important notes about PayPal Personal accounts. I got this information from PayPal's website.

-Personal accounts can only receive $500 per month.

-There is no fee for receiving payments funded by PayPal Balance, PayPal Instant Transfer or PayPal eCheck.

-The fees for receiving payments funded by Credit Card, Debit Card or Buyer Credit are: 4.9% + $0.30 USD (limit of 5 transactions per 12 month period)**

-Please take special note of the "5 per 12 month period" limit on Credit/Debit card payments.

Setting up a personal account might be helpful, but you'll have to make sure you know beforehand who will be paying with it, and how they'll be paying, to make sure you won't exceed the $500/month limit, and won't max out the 5 credit card payment limit.

Just recieved this note from Brian's sister and wanted to pass it along to anyone coming to the memorial:

if you are coming to the memorial... bring your tiger jersey .... Brian hated dressing up and would want it this way.

ANgela

thought this was the greatest idea ever, and I will be there in my tigers gear.

rick

that is cool!

Ok, I guess I've got the paypal thing setup. All you need is my email address? Is that right. Email is oblong@wowway.com

Very original, I know.

Does Pay Pal charge a fee when I transfer the funds from Pay Pal to my account on record? If someone sends me $100 and I then have $100 in my pay pal account, will I end up with$100 in my real live bank account? I'd ask them but I hate navigating that site.

that is cool!

Ok, I guess I've got the paypal thing setup. All you need is my email address? Is that right. Email is oblong@wowway.com

Very original, I know.

Does Pay Pal charge a fee when I transfer the funds from Pay Pal to my account on record? If someone sends me $100 and I then have $100 in my pay pal account, will I end up with$100 in my real live bank account? I'd ask them but I hate navigating that site.

There is no fee to transfer it to your bank account, from what I remember. Have you seen my recent post about the monthly limit for receiving funds? If not, please read that ASAP, and possibly remove your e-mail address and just send it to a few select people. I'm concerned a lot of people will try to pay via that and you'll quickly exceed the $500 limit. Any funds received over $500 go into a 30-day waiting period, assuming you don't upgrade to a Premier account. You can't get the funds, and the person sending them can't get them back for 30 days, I believe. It would be a very bad situation.

Nah, I'm not worried about that. I'll just get that money in 30 days and finish up whatever we decided. Based on the messages I've gotten, I don't think we'll get that much in pay pal anyway.

nope -- absolutely no fee at all transferring funds -- with the 500/month limit, would it help at all if I offered up my paypal account for receiveing funds, then pass a check along to you Rob???

I have a Premier account, so I do not have any limits to how much I can take in within a month...

*edit...sorry -- I posted this while you were posting about not worrying about the limit because it sounds like there won't be that much coming via PayPal