Ranger

Brian Bluhm (estrepe1)

It's difficult when you know that no matter how hard you search for a reason or some meaning that you won't find it...At least not in this day's events.

I usually try to avoid the 'personal' threads because I just have a difficult time even pretending like I can understand or come to know people that I've personally never met. And I'm not going to pretend that I really knew Brian now...

But I've been reading and exchanging with Estrepe since our days on the ESPN Tiger message board - six maybe 7 years...And if I was willing to take the leap now, that I said I wasn't above...I'd just say that over that entire time I've never exchanged with someone more cordial, more honest, more interested...He just always struck me as a man that was always more concerned with doing right (by someone) than being right - and that's not something we see a lot of today, and perhaps even less so in a medium like this.

I can only start to imagine the impact he had on so many that did enjoy a connection with him that I'll never experience. For his family, I'm sure words like tragic and unfathomable will never do the loss justice...I only hope that when all is said and done; their faith and their memories carry the day, because I imagine that's exactly how he'd want it.

Ranger,

First off thanks for find out what happened no matter how upsetting it is. Knowing is better than not.

Estrepe and I have talked through the years on the MB but with the HOF thread we really were two of the people that fought tooth and nail with each other about our selections. I can't believe that's not going to happen again.

Brian,

You are going to be sorely missed. From the first minute you were in our minds when we heard this happen at VT. That shows you how much people cared about you - immediately your name popped into our minds.

Rest In Peace Brian.

I honestly am going to throw up.

I have not felt his horrible since...........since I can remember.

You will ALWAYS be in our hearts.

Rick

I'd just say that over that entire time I've never exchanged with someone more cordial, more honest, more interested...He just always struck me as man that was always more concerned with doing right (by someone) than being right - and that's not something we see a lot of today, and perhaps even less so in a medium like this.

This was a wonderful description of Brian.

I left a message on a friend's voicemail today. What I know now was that he was dead when I called.

I feel so sick.

I am beyond words with grief. In some ways on this board, we are strangers that know each other. But at times like this I realize that we are a lot closer than we think. Brian we loved you and we didn't even know it until now.

RIP Esterpe

I've enjoyed reading your point of view all the way back from the espn boards probably 10 years ago to now. The world needs more people like you, you will be greatly missed.

If you click on the main forum index, near the bottom it says "Top Posters". His name is #1.

This is the 2nd time I've had an online acquaintance pass away. It hurts as much as someone you know in Real Life. But you sure have to honor them. I'll definately be keeping Brain's family in my prayers.

I guess I'm in denial.

Estrepe1 and Tiger337 have always been my two favorite posters. Even when the Tigers were on their slide last year and everybody was panicking, I knew I could skip every post, and look for something by Estepe1 or Tiger337 to give an intelligent and most of all, informed opinion/analysis of what was going on.

But like I said, I am still in denial. What evidence of his passing do we have so far? What I have seen is Ranger's first post of this thread which mentions that one of Brian's "facebook friends" heard from "someone" who spoke to his brother in law, who said he was killed. I also saw the posting in the other thread about how there was a civil engineering grad students meeting at Norris Hall including 9 students. And I also saw a posting that the professor that was presiding over that meeting was killed as were 2 students from that class. Now, I really don't know what the academic situation at VT is, but I do know at the University of Windsor there are a lot more than 9 masters students enrolled in such disciplines as civil engineering. Do we know for sure that estrepe1 was in that meeting? Can was conclusively say he was yet?

I don't mean to discredit anything that Ranger says. I am grateful that he is sharing what information he has come across.

Maybe I'm just in denial, but I don't think I've seen enough conclusive evidence yet. Is there anything that I'm missing?

Estrepe1, my prayers are with you and your family. I hope that this isn't true.

I can't believe this... I kept checking in even when I was at school tonight, but I never really got to thinking anything bad. Same as someone else stated, i've never met or talked to him outside of this board, yet I'm still just in a state of shock. God bless him, his family, and his friends.

I can't add anything that you folks have already said. Having only spoken to Brian a few times, I wasnt as close to him as some of you were...from everything I know or have heard about him, he was the kind of person you want to have as a friend, or what you want in a son, or your daughter to marry. Rest in peace, Brian. You will be missed

Wow, this is terrible. I've always really liked estrepe as a poster. He was one of my favorite posters on the college football board, not to mention the rest of the site. This is shocking.

RIP Brian.

I don't mean to discredit anything that Ranger says. I am grateful that he is sharing what information he has come across.

God I hope I'm wrong.

He was a Civil Engineering graduate student. Typical grad classes aren't much bigger than 15 and can be as low as 4 or 5.

I guess I'm in denial.

Estrepe1 and Tiger337 have always been my two favorite posters. Even when the Tigers were on their slide last year and everybody was panicking, I knew I could skip every post, and look for something by Estepe1 or Tiger337 to give an intelligent and most of all, informed opinion/analysis of what was going on.

But like I said, I am still in denial. What evidence of his passing do we have so far? What I have seen is Ranger's first post of this thread which mentions that one of Brian's "facebook friends" heard from "someone" who spoke to his brother in law, who said he was killed. I also saw the posting in the other thread about how there was a civil engineering grad students meeting at Norris Hall including 9 students. And I also saw a posting that the professor that was presiding over that meeting was killed as were 2 students from that class. Now, I really don't know what the academic situation at VT is, but I do know at the University of Windsor there are a lot more than 9 masters students enrolled in such disciplines as civil engineering. Do we know for sure that estrepe1 was in that meeting? Can was conclusively say he was yet?

Maybe I'm just in denial, but I don't think I've seen enough conclusive evidence yet. Is there anything that I'm missing?

Estrepe1, my prayers are with you and your family. I hope that this isn't true.

The most conclusive proof I've seen is a bunch of messages posted on his sister's Myspace page expressing their condolences, as well as the following post on the page of one of her Myspace friends:

Angela’s brother was killed today in the school shooting at VT.

Angela is one of our friends on myspace for recreation therapists. She is a nurse and she has a degree in therapeutic recreation from ECU.

Angela said “I dont know anything yet. We are leaving for my parents. Please pray for my family. We are so sad at this time. He was my only sibling. I am lost. Thank you” Angela

I am going to Saturday's game against the Sox. Fellow MotownSports.com member mancity09 will be with me.

I want to get together with some fellow members before the game. Or after. Or both. I need to commiserate and grieve. To anybody who will be in Detroit on Saturday, let's arrange something.

since we saw that he was on the board late last night into early this morning, I am picturing him waking up late this morning and not having time to get ready. He probably thew on a V Tech Hoody and his Tigers hat and went to class, just like any other day...wishing he went to bed earlier....Sitting in class, and then that, I just can't get that image out of my head, and I know going to bed will be a lost cause...it's all I'll be able to think about.

I did send one of his myspace friends a note and he sent me this back:

Hello,

Yes, it was a sad thing to happen to such a great person. We grew up together, then he moved away and we had just gotten back in touch.

I am not surprised he made so many friends, since he was truly one of the kindest people I have ever known.

I think both of your ideas are wonderful, what better way to honor him than to have him honored before a game. He was probably the biggest out-of-state fan I know. Thanks for your thoughts, and I'm signing onto your site now.

I'm having a hard time logging onto that site (motownsports.com), so if you can tell everyone on there that it is not a rumor, though I wish it was, Brian Bluhm has passed away.

Rick Moses

I feel like my doctor just called me and told me I have Terminal Cancer.

This is so sad. It might take me a while to realize Estrepe won't be around to defend the merits of Cameron Maybin, or to give his gratious contributions to everything and anything Tiger baseball.

What a sad day. This ruins my night, my week, my month, my year.