Ranger

Brian Bluhm (estrepe1)

I think that estrepe1 (I am using his sign on name instead of Brian, because thats how I knew him) would have made a perfect character in Field of Dreams. I haven't responded earlier for a couple of reasons. When I read the post mentioning him passing my jaw hit the floor. When I read the articles about him I cried, some tears of sadness and some tears of pride. When my best friend died 13 years and 15 days ago, I don't think I shed a tear. It amazes me a person who I never met in person would have so much affect on my emotions. Maybe it was the senseless act that took his life that turned the water works on or maybe I am getting older and the "macho" image isn't that important to me anymore.

I am very happy that I had a chance to read estrepe1's thoughts on this message board. I am picturing him right now sitting back and talking to the baseball greats, maybe asking "is this Iowa" and them replying "no this is heaven"....

Sean

Thank you mottsi. That's beautiful imagery. You made me tear up again when I thought I didn't have any more to shed, but they were tears of gratitude and not tears of remorse.

May God bless Brian, his family, his friends, and all of the men and women lost this week at Virginia Tech. While scrolling through comments here over the years I'm sure most of us always stopped to read anything estrepe1 had to say. Always insightful. Always thoughtful.

It's an amazing thing to feel you "know" someone you've never actually met but I'm sure many of us thought that we knew Brian. A horrible loss. My family's prayers go out to his family and friends. May they and all who are suffering from this awful event find comfort.

So I'm listening to my itunes on random right now while I work on my graphic design project before class. I have 7,109 songs on it, and after about an hour what song comes on but Uncle Tupelo's "Black Eye". The very song Brian has on his myspace page. Wow....

Edit: Two songs later a My Morning Jacket song comes on, another band I know he liked. I think he picked this playlist for me.

I just logged on to this site few hours ago and I heard about what happened to estrepe. There are so many emotions that I can't even describe to you. I am very angry that it happened. I cried uncontroablly for a good 20 minutes and I will be doing more of that today. I will be in mourning.

I thought estrepe would be alive and beat this. I know he went to school at VA Tech, but I did not think he was a current student.

This has certainly hit me for sure. I lost a very good friend and a very good human being. estrepe was a gentleman and a great sports fan. I always love talking sports with him. I always come here to get his take on sports and it was fun to read his perspective. He was entertaining.

He will be missed by everyone here and for good reason. I am going to miss his company. I am going to miss talking to him. He made me feel welcome here when I posted here last year. There was great chemistry with he and I.

I thought he made this board a great place to be.

It was an honor and privilege to know estrepe.

I am just saddened that I won't ever talk to him or read his posts again.

I am going to miss him. My memories of him will never ever be forgotten.

RIP estrepe1

You nailed it.

One thing that strikes me is that in addition to being labeled as a lifelone Tiger fan and a grad student by the media, he's also been referred to as shy numerous times. I never really associated shy with him. Not once. Thoughtful, intelligent, pretty well spoken for a sports site. But never shy. It's not a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but its, I don't know, its just something that kind of struck me as odd I guess.

I had the same thought. I'll always rememeber Estrepe as one of the few must reads, a monster of a poster, a true stud. Never would the word 'shy' ever come up in regards to him. Humble, maybe. But shy, not the guy I knew.

I think it's fair to say his contributions here, especially in the minor league forum, laid the foundation to most of the high level anyalsis this site has become known for. He will be missed. The only good I can see from this loss is that the rest of the world can now see what we have known for years.

Some people are shy in face-to-face contact but bolder in situations where they feel more comfortable. Just a thought.

Some people are shy in face-to-face contact but bolder in situations where they feel more comfortable. Just a thought.

Absolutely.

I'll bet if Brian had any friends outside of this website who wanted to talk Tigers all the time, they wouldn't describe him as shy. Nobody knew him as shy here because we all shared perhaps his greatest passion.

He was auditing a class in advanced hydrology in Norris Hall when the attack occurred, Castles said.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/metro/vatechshootings/victims/Brian_Bluhm.html

That quote is from a good Washington Post article on Brian that I had not yet seen.

He was auditing the class. He didn't even have to be there. Cripe....water under the bridge...sigh...

I just happened to catch the tail end of an interview with Brian's sister on WDIV channel 4 here in Detroit. They mentioned that they will be showing an extended interview with her on their 6pm newscast.

Honestly, I'm still in a complete state of shock at this time. Friends and family have been calling non-stop to see if I'm okay. I'm not...there's no other way around it.

I've tried to distract myself; it doesn't work. I went to the Celts-Pistons game tonight -- thinking it might be a break from reality -- then they did a moment of silence before the game....I was a wreck, an absolute wreck. I can't even describe it.

Bert was nice enough to send me an email earlier this evening...I haven't even been able to respond -- and for that Bert, I apologize; that will have to wait until tomorrow when I can think about what I'm saying to you. Sorry.

I received an email from Jason Beck this morning...I responded too late to make it into his article (and that might be a good thing), but here is a snapshot of my thoughts.....

It took me nearly two hours to compose those few lines....I was in tears the entire time, and I still am when I read them. It shouldn't take me two hours to write anything, but it did.

Brian was a dear friend, and I miss him tremendously. Bert (Sorry, I hope you don't mind that I brought this up) has suggested that Brian would want us to move on....and he's absolutely right....but I just can't bring myself to do it quite yet; and the concept of moving on seems foreign to me right now........I've had family pass on, and that's the only way I can describe this pain...Brian was family....

Constantly remembering.....

I suspected that was the case Mark. Just take care of yourself and check in when you're ready. Everyone heals at a different pace.

Like the hundreds of other posters here, some daily regulars, and some who haven't been here in years, this absolutely floored me. Haven't logged in for a few days, and I've been watching coverage of the VT stuff each night, horrified, and asking the same general questions as everyone else, "Why would someone do this? What does this say about our society?"

But now all of a sudden it's personal.

I've been posting here for less than six months, but in my short time here, if you had to ask me which of the motownsports regulars had most often replied to me directly, I'd say it was estrepe1. At least half the time we were in disagreement, so I would log in almost hourly sometimes to see if he had a new point to make that I hadn't thought of. For some days, this faceless "estrepe1", with his eloquent points and giggling Hobbes avatar, had become my new virtual sparring partner, but he was so hard to disagree with, because he always knew his stuff, and articulated it so well.

Not that I'd ever leave, but motownsports has now lost an intelligent and personable contributor, and as a result, I feel that loss right here, in my life, at the same time. Some people will never understand online communities, but it's clear to me that some of the people we meet here can be just as impacting as the friends and family we go home to at night.

Rest in peace, Brian.

I just wanted to pass along my condolences to all of those whose lives were touched by Brian, even in the smallest way.

As soon as I heard about what had happened at Virginia Tech, my first thought was to check here to see if Brian was ok. I'd been checking back throughout the day hoping to hear that he was fine. As I'm sure many of you felt, when I found out that he was a victim of this senseless act, I felt my heart in my stomach.

I never met Brian, but we had a number of great conversations. I had the pleasure of butting heads with him with the rivalry of our two schools and also had the pleasure of talking Tigers baseball while I was also away at school. I've had a tremendous amount of respect for him, not only for the insight and intelligence he displayed, but also the quality of his character. He was a genuine person and the outpouring of emotion by those near and far from him is a reflection of that.

Brian had alot to give this world whether it be through family, friends, or in his career as an engineer. My heart goes out to Brian's family and all of those who are feeling his loss. I hope that each and every person who knew him, talked to him, or has now come to know who he was and what he was giving to this world will carry on his spirit.

Hokie, Hokie, Hi! V-P-I!

from one of the posts on the CNN article:

"I had tremendous respect for his taste in music and his lighthearted sense of humor. He and I had several conversations about music that we both liked and we agreed on most things music-related. He gained several nicknames during the year that I lived with him. My favorite of these was Dr. Bluhm, earned because of his tendency to come out of his room early in the morning with frazzled hair, like a mad scientist."

What a hilarious mental image...It brought a smile to my face, which has been rare since Monday night.

from one of the posts on the CNN article:

"I had tremendous respect for his taste in music and his lighthearted sense of humor. He and I had several conversations about music that we both liked and we agreed on most things music-related. He gained several nicknames during the year that I lived with him. My favorite of these was Dr. Bluhm, earned because of his tendency to come out of his room early in the morning with frazzled hair, like a mad scientist."

What a hilarious mental image...It brought a smile to my face, which has been rare since Monday night.

That's charming. I think CNN is doing a fine service by offering this space for people to share their memories.

Still in shock, tonight was the first that I had the strength to post here. I believe we will get to play whatever sport we want when we get to heaven, I'm hoping I get to be on Brian's Tigers team.............just one inning would be enough

imoBB

This is true. Also, a lot people misuse the word "shy". When someone is referred to as "shy", it very often means "reserved" or "quiet".

Hi. I am a White Sox fan that found out about this board from Oblong's post at the Sox interactive boards. I've been reading all about your beloved friend, Brian. I registered here for the sole purpose of telling you all how deeply sorry I am for your loss. I have been heart broken as I have read so many stories of Brian's friendship, intelligence, honesty, and caring nature. I have read so many threads about him that I feel like I've come to know a little bit of him, and I have cried many tears for the loss of such a precious life. I too have made some very special and real online friendships, and I know I would be devastated if anything ever happened to any of them. Out of my closest group of online friends, I have only met 2 out of 4 of them in person. So my heart goes out to all of you. You definitely get to really know a person, even online. My heart also goes out to Brian's family and loved ones. It was devastating enough to hear of this tragic event on Monday, but it makes it so much more real when an actual name, face, and accounts of their personality are learned. It goes without saying that my heart goes out to all the victims and their loved ones as well.

The only thing so far that has made me smile is knowing that Brian is with Jesus right now and reading the article where his roommate said they called him Dr. Bluhm because the crazy way his hair looked in the morning.

God Bless Brian and all the victims.

Sincerely,

Dani L. in IL

Hey I have read through this thread on and off so forgive me if it has already been stated.

Is there a Paypal account or something setup to donate for flowers and the likes?

I'm a Sox fan registered here last year, and have posted on occasion. I heard about this over on SoxTalk.

I only remember a few posters' names particularly from my few times talking on this board, but estrepe1 was one of those I recall. Specifically, he was actually willing to engage in conversation and respond to my posts - he was inclusive even of a lowly Sox fan like me visiting your board :classic: . Very classy.

So, Brian, thank you for touching my life in a positive way as well. Sounds like you did so for a heck of a lot of other people. What a terrible tragedy. Thank you, and rest in peace.

Matt (NSS72)