Domino

Pick the worst acquisition: Neifi Perez or Jose Mesa?

Which person is a bigger waste of space on the roster?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Which person is a bigger waste of space on the roster?

• Neifi Perez
    • Jose Mesa

I will neverunderstand the signing of Neifi Perez. Likewise I will never understand the signing of Jose Mesa. Both are at the end of their unimpressive careers and don't deserve a roster spot over some of the talent we have sitting in the minors (Shelton, Miner, Santiago to name a few).

So, which one is worse?

Neifi is awful offensively but he is okay in the field. So at least he brings something to the team. Jose Mesa on the other hand is completely useless. The only time I want Jose pitching is up against Omar Vizquel...

I will concur with Mitchman. Perez may suck as a hitter, but unless his fielding rapidly deteriorates and an unusually high number of balls are hit to him in a very brief period of time, he will not have the power to blow a significant lead in the space of one inning, whereas Mesa has very clearly demonstrated that he does have that power and will probably wield it on at least a semi-regular basis, if given half the chance.

Mesa, he's directly involved in the other team scoring runs. Neifi only contributes to the other team's offense is when he makes errors, which, admittedly, is rare.

When Mesa enters the game, he immediately turns a team strength (pitching/bullpen) into it's biggest weakness.

Mesa is depended on to get outs when he enters a game (and he has so far been incapable of doing so) while Neifi is depended on to catch the baseball when he enters the game, which he is perfectly capable of.

They're both terrible, but I dont like that we went out and tried to get one more effective relief pitcher to curb the loss of Jamie Walker and ended up with Jose Mesa

I will neverunderstand the signing of Neifi Perez. Likewise I will never understand the signing of Jose Mesa. Both are at the end of their unimpressive careers and don't deserve a roster spot over some of the talent we have sitting in the minors (Shelton, Miner, Santiago to name a few).

So, which one is worse?

I hear you......I just don't get the Neifi signing......I understand the versatility but **@# you gotta be able to play!

Perez, since he cost a more than just a salary. Plus, his track record has been consistently horrible. Whereas, at least Mesa has performed well in the past, so there is still hope.

Perez, because the Tigers have better players in Santiago and Infante, as well as Leyland being impressed with Raburn (Who is still a 2b as far as I know)

As Brent said, even though Mesa is doing quite poorly this year, as least in the past he was moderatley useful.

So, which one is worse?

Domino, it is extremely unfair of you to post this as a "choice":ermm:

I could wrack my brain all day and still come up divided.

I think my favorite offseason quote from Leyland was that Neifi Perez would have to "play himself out of a roster spot." How did that not happen?

And although Joe Table has been God-awful thus far, he does have mid-90s heat. I'm hoping he can turn it around--he's been a decent pitcher throughout his career, and I think this is all just a matter of settling in.

Neifi, you are the weakest link (bet you haven't heard that one in a while). Good bye.

Neifi, terrible as he is, is at least a decent fielder and can backup at 3B/SS/2B without making our defense much worse. I don't recall Santiago ever playing 3B before, so I almost understand putting Neifi on the roster.

Mesa, on the other hand, just strikes me as a below average pitcher. With Grili and Durban already on the roster, it seems we've already met our quota of those. I have zero faith in Mesa coming in with the game on the line. Perez might go 0-4, but he has some speed on the basepaths and plays good defense. To me, he's slightly more valuable.

I guess this one has been finally answered officially.

As bad as Neifi was as a hitter last year, he is sinking to a newer low.

Last year's OBS: 19

This year's OBS: 16!

Too bad, Raburn is a mediocre infielder and Santiago would hit as bad a Neifi.

Mesa by far!

I have to say Neifi, because unlike Mesa the nightmare continues.:wink:

On Base Average + Slg Pct

And actually, the above Neifi #'s are OBS+ - the index above/below the average OBS

Easy. Neifi Perez. Not only are we spending more money on Neifi (I think), and carrying him for a longer period of time, but we actually traded a prospect for Perez. Mesa only cost us money.

Perez, since he cost a more than just a salary. Plus, his track record has been consistently horrible. Whereas, at least Mesa has performed well in the past, so there is still hope.

That's what I thought too.

while Mesa failed in higher leverage situations, Neifi cost a prospect and got a 2 yr deal...tough call but I'll go with Sean Casey. Ok, so really Mesa, but Perez and Casey have cost us games as well for no good reason. casey at least has won us a few, but a 6 somethiong OPS at 1b isn't close to acceptable over any term...