FloridaTigers

What are you currently listening to?

Magna Carta... Holy Grail

I bought it on google play. For some reason I can't get it on my phone yet. Assuming it just takes some time to sync.

ETA now its there

Magna Carta... Holy Grail

I bought it on google play. For some reason I can't get it on my phone yet. Assuming it just takes some time to sync.

ETA now its there

Good stuff on this album.

Oceans and Heaven are standouts for me so far. Holy Grail is pretty awesome too.

DJ Shadow - Endtroducing

Still sounds fresh to this day

I will listen to MCHG (despite my reservations) soon, hopefully tomorrow. Just not feeling it, with the bad record name to the bad press. Plus, Yeezus just ruined new rap for me for a while (unless the new El-P/Killer Mike record is as good as advertised).

Still sounds fresh to this day

I will listen to MCHG (despite my reservations) soon, hopefully tomorrow. Just not feeling it, with the bad record name to the bad press. Plus, Yeezus just ruined new rap for me for a while (unless the new El-P/Killer Mike record is as good as advertised).

The MCHG is better than the press its given, but its no Yeezus IMO.

Currently: Enemies - Embark, Embrace

Reminds me a lot of Fang Island... when they were awesome

One of my rare moments where I really enjoy an albums worth of pop songs occurred yesterday at my uncle's party when he was playing Madonna's "Immaculate Collection" for some of our evening music.

Currently: Enemies - Embark, Embrace

What a beautiful record. Such a good find this morning, I'll be streaming this one often

Indie rock splurge today on Google Play (still waiting on that iOS app):

Sugar Copper Blue

Destroyer Kaputt

Archers of Loaf Icky Mettle

I'm kicking myself, because AoL is just another band (in addition to Superchunk) that I probably had plenty of opportunities to see in Chapel Hill while I was there (even Greenville when I was there) and just didn't branch out my listening habits to know.

"Red Angel Dragnet" from The Clash's "Combat Rock" is one of the weirdest songs ever to have been on a major album. And the Clash had a bunch of them in that era. They didn't hold back from experimenting with different sounds.

There are songs on that album I absolutely adore like "Straight to Hell" and "Sean Flynn". Talk about emotive.

I'm listening to one of the Explore playlists on Google Play, 50 Under 30, and talk about random. I heard a good violin piece ("Gardel: Tango - Por Una Cabeza"), which was followed immediately by "B*tch, Don't Kill My Vibe". Similarly, I'm currently listening to "Gershwin: Rhapsody in Blue", which is followed by "Pyramids". Who's curating these lists again?

I'm currently mixing a recording session of a brass quintet I'm friends with. The only thing better than listening to great music is having a hand in creating it!

Anyone listen to the new Kings of Leon tracks floating about? Really liked that band right up on through Because of the Times, but their last 2 albums really didn't do much for me. Finally gave Super soaker a listen last night and I liked it. Hoping for a renaissance.

Indie rock splurge today on Google Play (still waiting on that iOS app):

Sugar Copper Blue

Destroyer Kaputt

Archers of Loaf Icky Mettle

I'm kicking myself, because AoL is just another band (in addition to Superchunk) that I probably had plenty of opportunities to see in Chapel Hill while I was there (even Greenville when I was there) and just didn't branch out my listening habits to know.

Good stuff. I saw AoL just before they broke up about 14-15 years ago, and Superchunk are one of my all-time faves. Saw Bob Mould play most of Copper Blue a few weeks ago. He still plays LOUD.

I'm currently mixing a recording session of a brass quintet I'm friends with. The only thing better than listening to great music is having a hand in creating it!

what are you using to do the production?

Anyone listen to the new Kings of Leon tracks floating about? Really liked that band right up on through Because of the Times, but their last 2 albums really didn't do much for me. Finally gave Super soaker a listen last night and I liked it. Hoping for a renaissance.

I've been obsessing over "Supersoaker" since I first heard it. Kind of reminds of their Aha Shake Heartbreak stuff, which I really like. I'm 50-50 on them. I saw them when they were touring with the Black Keys (before the Keys took off), and they had this smugness that kind of rubbed me the wrong way. Plus, their music was getting too mainstream-y, like the goofiness of the earlier albums was completely replaced by the brain of Rob Thomas from Matchbox 20. "Supersoaker" doesn't give me that vibe, but naming your next album Mechanical Bull is a little peculiar.

what are you using to do the production?

A local college recorded each member of the quintet separately, then sent me the resulting .aif files that I imported into Adobe Audition as a multitrack session. Each instrument was recorded in a dead room so I can modify frequency and add awesome reverb.

I've been obsessing over "Supersoaker" since I first heard it. Kind of reminds of their Aha Shake Heartbreak stuff, which I really like. I'm 50-50 on them. I saw them when they were touring with the Black Keys (before the Keys took off), and they had this smugness that kind of rubbed me the wrong way. Plus, their music was getting too mainstream-y, like the goofiness of the earlier albums was completely replaced by the brain of Rob Thomas from Matchbox 20. "Supersoaker" doesn't give me that vibe, but naming your next album Mechanical Bull is a little peculiar.

Couldn't agree more.

I had a near love at first listen with Youth and Young Manhood (actually with their Holy Roller Novocaine EP) , and thought Aha was a pretty good follow-up...When Because of the Times came out I honestly thought they had a legit shot at claiming the mantle of best American Rock Band going...And then Only by the Night happened (don't get me wrong there are a couple redeemable tracks on there) but they just plain lost "it". Sold out, stadium rock, overproduced, mainstreamed... However you want to characterize it - it had happened. And they sure as hell didn't recapture it with Come Around Sundown.

Here's to hopefully better days ahead.

Couldn't agree more.

I had a near love at first listen with Youth and Young Manhood (actually with their Holy Roller Novocaine EP) , and thought Aha was a pretty good follow-up...When Because of the Times came out I honestly thought they had a legit shot at claiming the mantle of best American Rock Band going...And then Only by the Night happened (don't get me wrong there are a couple redeemable tracks on there) but they just plain lost "it". Sold out, stadium rock, overproduced, mainstreamed... However you want to characterize it - it had happened. And they sure as hell didn't recapture it with Come Around Sundown.

Here's to hopefully better days ahead.

They went through some struggles at the end of their last tour, enough that they had to cancel a bunch of dates. The lead singer apparently was drinking a ton and just unfit to perform. I know all of those guys party, but he was going a little over the top. I wonder how much increasing fame impacted what he wrote. There's nothing wrong with "selling out" if you are maintaining your integrity, doing it your way. You could hear as the albums progressed they tried to conform once they sniffed greater success, but then I think they lost their identity. Time will tell. He can write a hook.

If I Had a Hammer and various other Peter, Paul and Mary songs that Spotify plays through.

I'd enjoy that! I've been on a folk kick lately.

But my husband is currently shuffling through his Dream Theater collection. Current song is Burning My Soul from the Falling Into Infinity album.

Under The Radar Radio tonight celebrates Big Star, the greatest band who never made it - in honor of the new documentary film Nothing Can Hurt Me. We'll play Big Star tracks along with several artists that were heavily influenced by them - like Matthew Sweet, The Replacements, Brendan Benson, The Posies, Mikal Cronin, The dB's, Sloan, R.E.M. and many, many more.

Starts at 7pm on 107.1 in Ann Arbor (Western Wayne and Oakland counties can get it). Also online at annarbors107one.com