FloridaTigers

What are you currently listening to?

The problem is the Rock Hall has changed from inception and now they have unintentionally misbranded themselves.   It really is a Hall of Fame for popular music and not only Rock.   Most of their  issues come up simply because they’ve tied themselves to just the Rock n’ Roll brand and would go away if they changed the name. 

and what is Rock and Roll?

From watching the Country Music Ken Burns doc there was a segment on the divergence between country and folk in the 60s and how they labelled it.... and Johnny Cash and Bob Dylan collaborating bringing it back together.  But if you listen to Marty Stuart he'll say that some of the folk music out of NY is as country as anything else.  Is Johnny Cash Rock and Roll?  

9 hours ago, pfife said:

I saw Pantera in the mid-90s, and he went on a long rant about how rap isn't music.... I'm pretty sure this was the motivation.

Pretty sure you'd be correct there. 

Speaking of talentless rappers, Eminem released a new full album today. I'll be listening to it all day in my office. I'm a shameless Em fan, though I didn't care for Revival.

1 hour ago, Tigertown Rats said:

Speaking of talentless rappers, Eminem released a new full album today. I'll be listening to it all day in my office. I'm a shameless Em fan, though I didn't care for Revival.

Eminem is a dude who dresses up in silly costumes and makes silly videos but if you poke fun at him he wants to fight. I never got that.

Look to Primus, Marshall. Just look to Primus.

2 minutes ago, Biff Mayhem said:

Eminem is a dude who dresses up in silly costumes and makes silly videos but if you poke fun at him he wants to fight. I never got that.

Look to Primus, Marshall. Just look to Primus.

I don't pay any attention to the rapper "beefs" nonsense. I only ever know about them when he mentions someone in his lyrics, then I assume they've been trading insults. I just like his rapping style, and he's usually pretty creative with his songs. I prefer "funny" to "serious" Marshall. It's funny to go back to the Eminem and Kid Rock collaborations. Those were great, but now I can't imagine the two of them getting together, with Kid going full MAGA and country and leaving the rock/rap behind.

I wouldn't say this was Brandy Clark's best work, but still an enjoyable single. I'm looking forward to her new album coming out later this year. In a sea of god awful, fake country music, Brandy is one of the few mainstream artists to stay true to the genre and actually produce good music.

I love a well done mashup. Don't see too many anymore, and a lot of them are pretty lazily slapped together. That one is great! Thanks are in the queue Yoda!

34 minutes ago, Tigertown Rats said:

I love a well done mashup. Don't see too many anymore, and a lot of them are pretty lazily slapped together. That one is great! Thanks are in the queue Yoda!

Check the rest of his channel. There are some really good ones. 

Here's a whole album of them.... I like this because the alternate the music and lyrics from verse to verse...

If you like this sound, her new album is full of this. I absolutely love it. Such a great voice and some tasteful guitar playing. She's pretty unknown still but I'm a fan. 

I don't watch the Ranch on Netflix, but this new duet from Wyonna Judd and Jason Isbell on the soundtrack is great. Isbell is the King Midas of modern country and Americana music. Everything he gets involved with is gold.

On 2/6/2020 at 4:30 PM, Yoda said:

If you like this sound, her new album is full of this. I absolutely love it. Such a great voice and some tasteful guitar playing. She's pretty unknown still but I'm a fan. 

Happened to hear her played on NPR last week, so maybe a bit of exposure coming.

7 hours ago, Blue Square Thing said:

Happened to hear her played on NPR last week, so maybe a bit of exposure coming.

With the possible exception of "FreshAir", being played on, and even worse, being covered on NPR is a kiss of death for a musical artist.

16 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

With the possible exception of "FreshAir", being played on, and even worse, being covered on NPR is a kiss of death for a musical artist.

I like the Tiny Desk Concerts

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I thought the kiss of death was head-lining for a puppet show

On 1/31/2020 at 12:57 AM, Yoda said:

Holy ****. Thank me later. 

Wow!  That is fantastic.

8 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I thought the kiss of death was head-lining for a puppet show

Well, there is death, and then there is death.

On 1/31/2020 at 12:57 AM, Yoda said:

Holy ****. Thank me later. 

I hate you now.  I've listened to more of these mashups than anyone should.  Pretty sure I stumbled upon something with Ozzy, Crosby Stills & Nash, and Run DMC, but I cannot find the link.