FloridaTigers

What are you currently listening to?

Is he doing aerobics?

He definitely does The Carlton at 1:38

tenor.gif?itemid=5669408

7 hours ago, lordstanley said:

Springsteen turns 70 today.  Bet he's glad he shelved this studio Dancing In The Dark video and released the one with Courtney Cox instead! He almost looks and acts like Justin Trudeau, minus the blackface.

Is he doing aerobics?

He definitely does The Carlton at 1:38

tenor.gif?itemid=5669408

One of the great clips from last night’s Ken Burns doc on country music. From The Johnny Cash show in 1969

5 minutes ago, CMRivdog said:

One of the great clips from last night’s Ken Burns doc on country music. From The Johnny Cash show in 1969

I was literally just stopping by here to post about this Country series.   Honest to god the best television I've seen in a decade or more.   I streamed the last 2 episodes today and it's amazing to the end......a serious MUST watch for any music fan.   I've never considered myself much of a country music fan but this was tremendous to watch.

This part was tough for me to watch being an emotional old fart...

11 hours ago, LooseGoose said:

I was literally just stopping by here to post about this Country series.   Honest to god the best television I've seen in a decade or more.   I streamed the last 2 episodes today and it's amazing to the end......a serious MUST watch for any music fan.   I've never considered myself much of a country music fan but this was tremendous to watch.

This part was tough for me to watch being an emotional old fart...

I happened upon this the other night and thoroughly enjoyed it. It made me really appreciate Lorretta Lynne and Dolly Parton even more.

Plus I discovered a song that I hadn't heard before that I really enjoyed.

• Like 2

The Country Music series is fanstasic... one of the best music docs I've watched in a long time..... probably since the Rush one.

I've been waiting for it all summer and I'm backed up on it.. it's 8 2 hour episodes and I've been busy most evenings.   You can stream it on their app.  I learned a lot.  It's very sentimental for me as my parents loved all those guys. I'm glad my mom can watch it.  My dad would have loved it.

My youngest is a sophomore in high school.

I sometimes think I just need to hang on for 3 more years and keep my queue from growing unmanageably large until I gain the necessary free time to clear out the queue.

Of course, my oldest will probably be married with children within 5 years of that, so maybe I won't have some much free time as I transition into being a grandfather.

I'm depressed.  I used to be young and cool.

Or young, at least.

It’s definitely bring back memories, both from growing up and my radio days where I worked for a short time as a country jock before country was cool.

I found myself streaming Merle Haggard the other day, then Kris Kristofferson yesterday. 

35 minutes ago, CMRivdog said:

It’s definitely bring back memories, both from growing up and my radio days where I worked for a short time as a country jock before country was cool.

I found myself streaming Merle Haggard the other day, then Kris Kristofferson yesterday. 

I've downloaded a ton of new stuff based on the series.   Listened to 2 new to me EmmyLou Harris albums last night.

Just as an aside, one of my new favorite artists is Keb Mo. He was at PBS’s annual meeting in Nashville this spring helping promote the series along with Burns. Caught a segment of his music on Bluegrass Underground this weekend

From his new album (featuring Rosanne Cash)

On 9/26/2019 at 1:28 AM, Yoda said:

Really inspiring video from Rick. 

I am at a point in life right now where I really need to be inspired and I was hoping like **** to be inspired by this video.  TBF though what I need will most likely not come from a source like this.

17 minutes ago, John_Brian_K said:

I am at a point in life right now where I really need to be inspired and I was hoping like **** to be inspired by this video.  TBF though what I need will most likely not come from a source like this.

Weed is legal in California. 

I am a big Replacements fan (even though I don't think I would like Paul Westerberg personally).   Their 1989 album Don't Tell A Soul has been much maligned because of it's ultra-polished sound.   Their record label was looking for them to have a radio hit and hired a mixer (Chris Lord Alge) who had mixed dozens of hits in the 80s.   The band wasn't thrilled about this, even though they complimented Lord-Alge.  They were never about being polished and shiny, they were about being rough around the edges and usually in the core too.  The songs on the album were really good though, as good as any other Mats album in the mid to late 80s.    I always believed they would remaster the album and make it sound like a real Replacements record, but they had two problems  1 - the label owned the rights to release it until 2009 and 2 - they couldn't find the masters.   Then guitarist Slim Dunlap had a massive stroke.  The band released the Songs For Slim compilation (with a new recording) to help raise money and gave part of their reunion tour proceeds to pay for his permanent care.   Slim's sister was cleaning out his house and found a box with some reel to reel tapes and gave it to a Replacements fan and confidant.........in those tapes were the masters and they were in good condition.   

Now they've released Dead Man's Pop - a box set that features the Don't Tell A Soul album mixed the way they wanted and it's outstanding and it fits in with the rest of their catalog - plus some outtakes and very early demos and a few drunken jam sessions with Tom Waits and a full concert when they sounded pretty good (they were notorious for almost purposely screwing up live shows).      

Love that they did this.  

Saw them on Valentine's Day 1991 in Ann Arbor.   They actually sounded good (this was a first for me, I'd seen them 3 or 4 times before including a horrendous opening slot for Tom Petty at Pine Knob, but Paul was notorious for disliking Detroit (When they played a gig in Detroit after he kicked Bob Stinson out of the band people in the crowd held up popsicle stick masks of Bob's face,  plus Paul's ex wife lived in Detroit)  Paul didn't say a word the entire show, just Tommy and Slim, who didn't say much.  After they played a song (I think it was "Alex Chilton")  Paul looked at his watch and said "that's 90 minutes...........good night" and walked off stage while the rest of the band stood there for about a minute, confused,  before leaving stage.   They did no encore.    At least they were somewhat sober that night.  

I really want to listen to Dead Man's Pop and am interested to see what they've done with Don"t Tell A Soul. Because I'm one of those people who never cared for that album.  In fact, until now my only keeper on that album has been Rock 'N Roll Ghost, even though it's about as far from a typical Replacements song as can be. By the way, I enjoy Hootenanny almost as much as Tim and Let It Be.

Music is always a must when hanging out with Mary. However, Elton John isn't in my usual rotation when we get together. However, when doing so with my family this weekend a couple of them requested some Elton John, Daniel and Sacrifice in particular.

Usually Mary and I like Animals, Doors, Fleetwood, Janis, Jefferson Airplane, Jimi, Pink Floyd, Zeppelin, Zombies. But I think I'm going to have to add some Elton into the mix when I'm hanging out with Mary in the future. They get along better than I thought.