FloridaTigers

What are you currently listening to?

14 minutes ago, Biff Mayhem said:

On the beach with Beefcake apparently. @BFK

well, I'm currently trying to buy a retirement home NEAR a beach at Higgins Lake so if he's there we'll be scoping things out. 

14 minutes ago, Rooster said:

well, I'm currently trying to buy a retirement home NEAR a beach at Higgins Lake so if he's there we'll be scoping things out. 

Image result for jim price nice area

• Haha 2

On 8/5/2019 at 4:13 PM, Oblong said:

this meme made me think of this.... offering without any editorial perspective

67732825_10157233554686648_4311938661701648384_n.jpg

Yes!  It's fantastic!  Of course.  Now it has been almost a week since they've released new music...can't wait for the next one.

I know they're coming to town, but I've already seen them three times, and I'm fine with that.

Just got a random tune; one of my all time favorites (Carlos rocks and always has);

• Like 1

On 9/4/2019 at 1:11 PM, Rooster said:

it was magical indeed! I got goosebumps during that medley. We went to see Santana a couple weeks ago and he was great too. Same way, goosebumps.

I actually got the tickets to see Blackberry Smoke. I've never seen  Tedeschi Trucks live so it was definitely a religious experience lol.

I love those subconscious reactions to music, it's basically peak music loving.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pfife said:

I love those subconscious reactions to music, it's basically peak music loving.

There’s one TTB song that always gives me goosebumps and a little choked up.  It’s not that I am sad or emotional or thinking about something sentimental. It’s truly a physical reaction to that particular sequence of notes and lyrics.  Like what nails on a chalkboard do to some people but obviously in this case it’s a positive thing.  It’s magical.  They’ve not played it at the last 2 shows I went to and I think if I hear it live again I might break down. 

• Like 1

On 9/6/2019 at 10:27 PM, screwball said:

Just got a random tune; one of my all time favorites (Carlos rocks and always has);

Heard this Saturday. What a great song.

If you can find it, I can't look right now, the oral history of that song is great... lots of things came together to make it happen... Rob Thomas wrote the lyrics... thought that was all he needed to do... then was asked to sing... then Carlos wasn't sure he wanted to do it, sounded too much like one of his other songs... had to be convinced to do it with Thomas.  It's a good read.

4 hours ago, Biff Mayhem said:

Heard this Saturday. What a great song.

Yup. He and Rob both slayed that song. One of the more memorable guitar leads in the history of rock guitar. And that tone... 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Yoda said:

So, it didn't go so.... smooth? 

ha ha... no not at first... 

But they nailed it.

A local band from Cornhole does that song.  The guitar player is an old hippie dude who smokes pot all the time but can absolutely nail that puppy.  When they are at our local watering hole I always yell "Jamie, how bout a little Santana."  He smiles, and they do it.  I have had quite a few cool conversations with him while they go on break (he's not like the rest of the band, who are kinda hooty toot) and he loves playing, and Carlos.  We talk about all the great guitarist. Neat stuff.

Win for Cornholers.

I was watching this a few weeks ago late at night.... pretty much drunk.  

14 hours ago, Oblong said:

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/santana-rob-thomas-smooth-oral-history-841189/

It's a fun read... lots of twists and turns... was a late entry to his album, based on another song, having to get permission from another label, etc.

Finally got around to reading this. I absolutely love reading stories like this. I have so many weird stories that I've read about various songs and bands. This one was pretty cool. I really wish I'd have stuck with music production and recording but I just couldn't stand dealing with other musicians. So now I get my fix by reading other people's stories. Some of them are way crazier than this. Thanks for posting it. 

11 hours ago, Oblong said:

I was watching this a few weeks ago late at night.... pretty much drunk.  

One of my favorite parts of Woodstock the Movie.  Love this tune.

7 hours ago, Yoda said:

Finally got around to reading this. I absolutely love reading stories like this. I have so many weird stories that I've read about various songs and bands. This one was pretty cool. I really wish I'd have stuck with music production and recording but I just couldn't stand dealing with other musicians. So now I get my fix by reading other people's stories. Some of them are way crazier than this. Thanks for posting it. 

I love reading about the creative process in general... comedy skits too.

I'll watch any music documentary, even if it's bands I hate or don't get into.  

I heard a story about the Glenn Frey writing Heartache tonight with JD Souther.  Henley also contributed.  They were in Florida by the pool.  Bob Seger called and they started talking and he shared the lyrics with Bob but they got stuck. So Bob made a suggestion.  Glenn had to call Don and tell him they got another contribution...

Well, split 4 ways is kinda tough.... who is it?" 

"Bob". 

"Ok, go with it"

Probably the most underrated guitarist in the history of rock. Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you Frank Marino.

I remember when Lana Del Rey changed her name from Lizzy Grant in 2012 and I listened to a few of her songs then. But didn't seem to me like she would have staying power.  And I ignored her the next several years, even as she carved out a nice career for herself and gained popularity in England and elsewhere, can't recall listening to even one of her songs during that period. But I'm not ignoring her new album. Some really good songwriting.