FloridaTigers

What are you currently listening to?

Some might argue Beethoven didn't really start creating timeless music until he was 30, and there were plenty of supremely talented composers that died young (Mozart, Schubert, Mendelssohn, etc.) as well as guys like Rossini that had a great 10-15 year run and walked or otherwise faded away.

I don't know, I think it has always been an exception for someone to be prolific in music and enjoy a really long career (20+ years).

19 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Some might argue Beethoven didn't really start creating timeless music until he was 30, and there were plenty of supremely talented composers that died young (Mozart, Schubert, Mendelssohn, etc.) as well as guys like Rossini that had a great 10-15 year run and walked or otherwise faded away.

I don't know, I think it has always been an exception for someone to be prolific in music and enjoy a really long career (20+ years).

who comes to mind from the R&R gen? Elton John created Lion King at nearly 50. George Harrison wrote new material with the Traveling Wllburies though none it on a par with 'Something'. Maybe part of the problem with R&R'ers is just the speed of genre obsolescence obsoleted them faster than when styles lasted at least as long as a composer's career. I guess Dylan keeps churning out new material that his hardcore fans still love, though pretty much only them. 😄

Public Service Broadcasting is my latest ear worm.  

This is very moto

Makes me want to invest tax dollars into a peaceful multi-billion investment to prove the dominance of Western democracy over fascists and communists. 

12 hours ago, Oblong said:

I think pressure is a huge factor in the creative process.  Just think of your own experience writing term papers in school? Couldn’t get going until the end could you?    In movies i would throw out Francis Ford Coppola as an example.  For The Godfather he had a lot to prove. He was getting fired several times during it.  He and the actors were hungry and desperate.  Godfather II he had to prove it to  want a fluke.  Then he got lazy.  Apocalypse Now he was bankrupt again.   By the time GF III came around the gang were all successful and just going through the motions.  

The studio wanted Rod Stieger to play The Don (because they didn't want to deal with Brando).  Then Brando did a screen test (unheard of for someone of his stature at the time - and of course it was over at that point).   They also wanted Ryan O'Neal as Michael Corleone and Robert Redford as Michael and then as Tom Hagen.   FFC had to fight for most of the cast because other than Brando they were mostly nobodies.  

24 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

The studio wanted Rod Stieger to play The Don (because they didn't want to deal with Brando).  Then Brando did a screen test (unheard of for someone of his stature at the time - and of course it was over at that point).   They also wanted Ryan O'Neal as Michael Corleone and Robert Redford as Michael and then as Tom Hagen.   FFC had to fight for most of the cast because other than Brando they were mostly nobodies.  

there is a great interview of Coppola talking about 'staging' the screen test for Brando. He set the environment - the scene, Italian food out on the tables, etc ,  up so that Marlon could just sort of invent the Character while they talked and filmed.

9 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

there is a great interview of Coppola talking about 'staging' the screen test for Brando. He set the environment - the scene, Italian food out on the tables, etc ,  up so that Marlon could just sort of invent the Character while they talked and filmed.

There’s one with Caan where he said he and Al and Duvall go out to SF. Mrs Coppola’s made them corned beef sandwiches. They had a blast.   Francis wanted them. Studio said no so they spent a hundred grand on screen tests with all those other guys.... and ended up with “three corned beef sandwiches” 

On 3/27/2019 at 9:52 AM, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Love running behind the cute ones.

The sight of the tanned, toned legs of a 20-something girl on 49-minute 10k pace, with a ponytail bobbing in rhythm with her steps as a couple of drops of sweat inch their way down her neck, is worth the entry fee.

To break fee of redundant playlists even on satellite radio, what I started doing last August was download a different album each day on Spotify. From the '60s to the '10s. Many would be of artists with whom I was familiar but not that album. Or familiar with their hits but not deep cuts. Or albums you'd always see referred to as influential or classic or underrated but never actually got around to listening to. And once downloaded, I'd spend the day with that album, typically two complete turns for each - whether in the car, on a run, or with headphones on the couch. In this way, I've listened to 200 albums since August and come across much new (to me) music.

16 hours ago, lordstanley said:

To break fee of redundant playlists even on satellite radio, what I started doing last August was download a different album each day on Spotify. From the '60s to the '10s. Many would be of artists with whom I was familiar but not that album. Or familiar with their hits but not deep cuts. Or albums you'd always see referred to as influential or classic or underrated but never actually got around to listening to. And once downloaded, I'd spend the day with that album, typically two complete turns for each - whether in the car, on a run, or with headphones on the couch. In this way, I've listened to 200 albums since August and come across much new (to me) music.

I've done similar, what I did was just worked down the list of Rolling Stone's top 500 records.   I made it about 150 records in.  I also found a lot of stuff I thought was great!

I'm playing a Chicago blues station on Apple Music... 

Under The Radar Radio #19-15
April 14, 2019  7pm
WKLQ - Grand Rapids & WQKL - Ann Arbor

Pick Of The Week
Shovels & Rope - By Blood

7pm
Shovels & Rope - The Wire
Old 97's - Champaign, Illinois
*Rodrigo Y Gabriela - Mettavolution 
Fontaines DC - Boys In The Better Land
Lone Justice - Ways To Be Wicked
Courtney Barnett - Everybody Here Hates You
Molly Tuttle - Messed With My Head
Mount Moriah - Lament
Son Volt - Devil May Care
Shovels & Rope - I'm Comin' Out
Loretta Lynn & Jack White - Portland, Oregon
Adia Victoria - Pacolet Road
*Parquet Courts - We R In Control  (Neil Young cover)
Chris Thile - Dead Leaves & The Dirty Ground (White Stripes cover)
Morrissey - Wedding Bell Blues  (Fifth Dimension/Laura Nyro cover)

8pm
Bobby Bare Jr. - What Difference Does It Makes (Smiths cover)
J Mascis - Don't Do My Like That  (Tom Petty cover)
Frank Turner - Demons
Shovels & Rope - Mississippi Nothin'
Jeff Tweedy - Family Ghost
Beulah - Gene Autry
Frank Black - End Of Miles
Drugdealer - Fools
*Jack & Eliza - Oh No
*Gardens & Villa - Underneath The Moon
*Minor Poet - Museum District
Jayhawks - Settled Down Like Rain
Jenny Lewis - Wasted Youth
The Belle Brigade - Losers
Shovels & Rope - Twisted Sisters
Big Thief - Cattails 
*Slothrust - Walk Away

*only on WKLQ Grand Rapids

On 4/15/2019 at 10:55 AM, pfife said:

I've done similar, what I did was just worked down the list of Rolling Stone's top 500 records.   I made it about 150 records in.  I also found a lot of stuff I thought was great!

This list is from 2012, but it's new to me so I'll comment. Way too Beatles heavy at the top, and Zeppelin coming in at only 29 gives me some pause. Like you though, I am enjoying starting at the bottom and working up. I'm not much of a country fan , so I find myself tuning out on occasion.  

For those interested, here is an easy to browse version of the list.

https://musicbrainz.org/series/8668518f-4a1e-4802-8b0d-81703ced6418?page=5

The Oakland University Brass Band (yes the Golden Grizzlies) played Journey to the Centre of the Earth by Peter Graham during the North American Brass Band Association (NABBA) championships during the first weekend in April.  It's a series of symphonic extracts based on Jules Verne's novel of the same name, and it is absolutely marvelous.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tigertown Rats said:

This list is from 2012, but it's new to me so I'll comment. Way too Beatles heavy at the top, and Zeppelin coming in at only 29 gives me some pause. Like you though, I am enjoying starting at the bottom and working up. I'm not much of a country fan , so I find myself tuning out on occasion.  

Yep!  That page is roughly as far as I got.  That was when I first heard Big Star.

There's no way My Morning Jacket should be ranked higher than Elton's Tumbleweed Connection!   Traveshamockery!!

I kinda wanna pick that back up again.... Some of those look really interesting to me.   For instance I haven't really ever listened to solo George Harrison

6 hours ago, Euphdude said:

The Oakland University Brass Band (yes the Golden Grizzlies) played Journey to the Centre of the Earth by Peter Graham during the North American Brass Band Association (NABBA) championships during the first weekend in April.  It's a series of symphonic extracts based on Jules Verne's novel of the same name, and it is absolutely marvelous.

Rambunctious

Reminds me that I have a copy of Wakeman's JTTCOTE somewhere I should listen to again.

I've been struggling with my amp situation the past couple years.   I've had 2 of them (both are kinda old) puke on me, and I'm using one right now that I got for free, and it's definitely a get what you pay for situation...... and I just ordered a new Onyko Integrated Stereo amp..... so freakin stoked.  Can't wait to get it and rock the house.

22 minutes ago, pfife said:

I've been struggling with my amp situation the past couple years.   I've had 2 of them (both are kinda old) puke on me, and I'm using one right now that I got for free, and it's definitely a get what you pay for situation...... and I just ordered a new Onyko Integrated Stereo amp..... so freakin stoked.  Can't wait to get it and rock the house.

I have an ancient home brew AB I built years ago. I've been looking at Class D kits but too many house projects have been in the backlog. Hopefully that is all worked off this year.

On 4/16/2019 at 3:27 PM, Tigertown Rats said:

Dark Side of the Moon at 49??

On 4/16/2019 at 10:03 PM, pfife said:

Yep!  That page is roughly as far as I got.  That was when I first heard Big Star.

There's no way My Morning Jacket should be ranked higher than Elton's Tumbleweed Connection!   Traveshamockery!!

They absolutely should and that isn't even their best album. 

2 minutes ago, Yoda said:

They absolutely should and that isn't even their best album. 

nah, that Elton record is way better than anything MMJ has done, and it's definitely not Elton's best album.