FloridaTigers

What are you currently listening to?

Vampire Weekend - Ladies of Cambridge

I'm so jacked for this record.  This tune rules too.

1 hour ago, pfife said:

Me too. Several months later than I expected but hope worth the wait. How much they'll miss Rostam Batmanglij is the only thing that gives me a bit of pause, but I'm pretty confident.

https://pitchfork.com/news/ezra-koenig-says-new-vampire-weekend-album-is-done/

On 8/22/2018 at 9:58 PM, pfife said:

This was turning into the Indie Rock version of Guns N Roses 'Chinese Democracy'

I look forward to it but I wish more artists would stop trying to be perfect and wait 5, 6 years between albums.   I thought rock music, in general, was better when bands made a record every year or every other year....mistakes and missteps and all.  

Ever get an obscure/semi-obscure song stuck in your head?   This one has been rattling around in mine for a week now.

Admittedly I wasn't a fan of these guys at first because they had that Led Zeppelin clone thing going on. Then I really listened and began to enjoy what they are doing. That kid knows how to handle that Les Paul like a boss.

Besides, last time I checked, LZ hasn't released an album of new material since Coda so I'm okay with their songs that sound like LZ.

8 hours ago, Yoda said:

SG*

Yeah, I love his guitar playing, and his tone. 

Les Paul. 

And yes he has great tone control and plays really well. 

On 9/15/2018 at 7:17 AM, Biff Mayhem said:

Admittedly I wasn't a fan of these guys at first because they had that Led Zeppelin clone thing going on. Then I really listened and began to enjoy what they are doing. That kid knows how to handle that Les Paul like a boss.

Besides, last time I checked, LZ hasn't released an album of new material since Coda so I'm okay with their songs that sound like LZ.

That's pretty much where I'm at with them. Looking forward to what the full-length album brings next month. They're young enough to still broaden out. And who knows, maybe they'll be a gateway for teens and early 20s to search out some albums from the '60s and 70s. Which would be like a teenager when I was in high school, the mid-80s, getting turned on to bands from the '30s and '40s, yikes! Greta Van Fleet played Vancouver's Stanley Park last weekend, but it was a festival with a US$150 day ticket price so I didn't go.

To me it's been a bit of a down year for music.   I like a lot of indie music with hooks, so things have felt off this year.  

What I have liked are the new albums from 

We Were Promised Jetpacks

Miles Kane

Johnny Marr

Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever

Snail Mail

Courtney Barnett

Parquet Courts

eels

Ty Segall

Caroline Rose

Really really looking forward to the new Elvis Costello album.  He hasn't done a straight-forward rock record in years.   Glad to hear they caught his colon cancer before he even had symptoms and after taking a rest he's touring this Fall.    

Don't skip those Colonoscopys, folks.  

3 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Parquet Courts

Now THAT is a prolific band. No long gaps between albums like VW.

Have you listened to Idles' 2nd album, out earlier this month, Joy As An Act Of Resistance?

9 hours ago, lordstanley said:

Now THAT is a prolific band. No long gaps between albums like VW.

Have you listened to Idles' 2nd album, out earlier this month, Joy As An Act Of Resistance?

I need to get it from the label.    

Yeah, this thing with Vampire Weekend.   Just make a record and put it out.  Stop trying to make it perfect, there is no such thing.  I like VW and would like to hear more.   Rostam already has just released a new single and has another album on the way.   He's lapped you, Ezra.   (Maybe that's why he left).  

Okay, this was the biggest hit of the summer the year I graduated high school (1983) and people used it in their weddings.   But even back then, when I was just 18, I thought this song was kind of creepy.     Sting said it was a stalker song.     But someone out there in Internetland took this and changed it from Major key to Minor key and it TOTALLY is creepy now.   Love this.     

I went to Alice Cooper in Grand Rapids on Monday, so I have my Cooper CDs out right now. Welcome 2 My Nightmare (not to be confused with Welcome to my Nightmare) is heavy on my rotation list, still. I think it's one of Alice Cooper's three best albums ever. I need to get out his most current album, Paranormal, and listen to a bit more. I think I've listened to it three times since I got it over a year ago.

I was listening to The Who Sell Out without the jingles and fake commercials (which were actually demos for real commercials they didn't get) and it sounds totally wrong...........................Wonderful.........Radio............London......Whoooopiiieeeee

On 10/23/2018 at 5:26 AM, Motor City Sonics said:

Okay, this was the biggest hit of the summer the year I graduated high school (1983) and people used it in their weddings.   But even back then, when I was just 18, I thought this song was kind of creepy.     Sting said it was a stalker song.     But someone out there in Internetland took this and changed it from Major key to Minor key and it TOTALLY is creepy now.   Love this.     

One of my favorite things is switching songs from major to minor. Sometimes vise-versa but switching a song to a minor key is way more effective. It's crazy what difference one little note makes. 

No Surprises is another fun one. Defeats the meaning of the song but whatever. 

Pete Shelley, lead singer of The Buzzcocks, died Wednesday of a heart attack.

That 1976-1977 cluster of the Ramones, Sex Pistols, Wire, The Damned, The Jam, The Buzzcocks is one of my favourite music eras ever.