Jump to content

FloridaTigers

What are you currently listening to?

Recommended Posts

29 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Ryan Adams seems like a real life douchebag given prior comments he's made about an entire genre of music, but damn if teh guy isn't a good songwriter.

 

Ryan is hot and cold.  Sometimes he's really cool and sometimes he's a total dick.  He's mellowed out a lot, learned to take it easy a little.   He needed to breathe a bit.    I know he was really struggling with something called Meniere's Disease, which messes with hearing and makes people dizzy, with severe vertigo,  imagine dealing with that while being onstage.    He is a great songwriter and he constantly writes.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is my favorite band.  Discovered them about 4 years ago and have seen them the last 3 times they've been here and going again in July.   New album coming out in Feb and they released a teaser:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/5/2019 at 1:16 PM, Yoda said:

I don't know that I'd call them Symphonic Rock. I was thinking Engineer Rock. Or white coat rock. 

 

On 1/5/2019 at 2:52 PM, Gehringer_2 said:

that's not bad. Scholz did build/design some of the effects equipment they used.

Is that the guitarist?  If so, I believe he was their recording engineer, and a lot of what he did was very pioneering at the time.

 

ETA:

 

Quote
Tom Scholz
TomScholz.JPG
Tom Scholz live with Boston June 13, 2008 Hinckley, Minnesota
Background information
Birth name Donald Thomas Scholz
Born March 10, 1947 (age 71)
Toledo, Ohio, U.S.
Genres Classic rock, progressive rock
Occupation(s) Musician, inventor
Instruments
  • Guitar
  • bass
  • keyboards
  • drums
  • vocals
Years active 1969–present
Labels Epic, CBS, MCA
Associated acts Boston

Donald Thomas Scholz (born March 10, 1947) is an American rock musician, songwriter, inventor, engineer, and philanthropist,[1][2] best known as the founder and only remaining original member of the band Boston. He is also the inventor of the Rockman portable guitar amplifier. He has been described by Allmusic as "a notoriously 'un-rock n' roll' figure who never enjoyed the limelight of being a performer," preferring to concentrate almost exclusively on his music, and in more recent years, spending much of his time working with charities.[3]

 

[snip]

Scholz had a keen interest in music and began recording demos in his home studio while working at Polaroid. These demos attracted the interest of Epic Records who signed Scholz and singer Brad Delp to a recording contract. Scholz believed his demos were good enough to comprise the full contents of Boston's debut album, but Epic told Scholz to re-record the demos. Most of the guitar, bass, and keyboards were performed by Scholz, although other players were involved sporadically throughout the recordings. Epic did not want the album recorded entirely in Scholz's home as Scholz had intended (the label suggested using a recording studio), but most of what ended up on the album was indeed ultimately recorded by Scholz in his basement. The album was released in 1976 and became the biggest-selling debut album by any artist up to that time.[8][9] 

[snip]

Scholz has remarked on the relationship with Boston's various record labels that "The [music] business would be a good thing, except that it's dominated by drug addicts and businessmen."[16]

I have a Rockman!!!

What a great line at the end.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe he was also an MIT grad. Dude's entirely full of himself though, from what I gather. When I saw them a few years ago the singer introduced him as "our guitarist, lyric and music writer, engineer, and producer..." Just seemed very pretentious. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Oblong said:

This is my favorite band.  Discovered them about 4 years ago and have seen them the last 3 times they've been here and going again in July.   New album coming out in Feb and they released a teaser:

 

Ran across a live video on YouTube of them while researching a guitar I was interested in. I like them and will have to dig further into their catalog.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Biff Mayhem said:

Ran across a live video on YouTube of them while researching a guitar I was interested in. I like them and will have to dig further into their catalog.

Derek Trucks is considered the best slide guitarist alive.  

What i like about him is he's not one to gyrate and make faces while playing.  He was part of that post Stevie Ray Vaughan group - Johnny Lang, Kenny Wayne Shepard, Joe Bonomosa, but he's the best of them.   There's a video of him jamming on stage with the Allmans as a 14 year old.  Later joined their band at 19.  Met his wife Susan (A talent in her own right and she had her own band.  She lost best new artist grammy in 99 to Aguilera) and eventually they merged their two bands together.   They encompass so many genres and you can find what you want in their work, whether it's straight up rock and roll, blues, soul, gospel, maybe a little country.... 

This is my favorite song of theirs... it's like two songs... the sweetness at the beginning and then around 4 minutes in you get Derek's soulful slide work.

If you search just on him you might get more out of it being a guitarist yourselves.  I can only go by what i read others say about him, and listening to his theories.  (Less is more)

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To the white drummer: Sorry, bro. You can stay in the band, but you're only getting a snare, tom, and a ride. And they're going to be much smaller. You'll look like you're playing a kid's set but it's honest work. 

White drummer: I'll take it. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am still stuck on Joe Bonamassa and his live concerts that I DVR'd.  Live at the Royal Albert Hall and acoustic at Carnegie Hall.

There is something about a live performance with back up singers, 2 drummers, a cello player, piano player etc.  Maybe it is my old age, but I am really enjoying watching these over and over while doing things around the house.  Once in a while I still break out the hard rock, rap or whatever, but for the most part these days I am all about these guitar forward live performances.  Plus I just really like most of his songs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, John_Brian_K said:

I am still stuck on Joe Bonamassa and his live concerts that I DVR'd.  Live at the Royal Albert Hall and acoustic at Carnegie Hall.

There is something about a live performance with back up singers, 2 drummers, a cello player, piano player etc.  Maybe it is my old age, but I am really enjoying watching these over and over while doing things around the house.  Once in a while I still break out the hard rock, rap or whatever, but for the most part these days I am all about these guitar forward live performances.  Plus I just really like most of his songs.

Joe gets a lot of criticism but he is honestly one of the greatest guitarists of all time. He doesn't use a lot of effects as he relies on the guitar, it's built in features and a couple of amps. He says he is a reclusive guitar nerd. I saw him play with Bloodline when he was just a teenager and he blew everyone away with his playing ability and his nerdiness. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Oblong said:

Derek Trucks is considered the best slide guitarist alive.  

What i like about him is he's not one to gyrate and make faces while playing.  He was part of that post Stevie Ray Vaughan group - Johnny Lang, Kenny Wayne Shepard, Joe Bonomosa, but he's the best of them.   There's a video of him jamming on stage with the Allmans as a 14 year old.  Later joined their band at 19.  Met his wife Susan (A talent in her own right and she had her own band.  She lost best new artist grammy in 99 to Aguilera) and eventually they merged their two bands together.   They encompass so many genres and you can find what you want in their work, whether it's straight up rock and roll, blues, soul, gospel, maybe a little country.... 

This is my favorite song of theirs... it's like two songs... the sweetness at the beginning and then around 4 minutes in you get Derek's soulful slide work.

If you search just on him you might get more out of it being a guitarist yourselves.  I can only go by what i read others say about him, and listening to his theories.  (Less is more)

 

Thanks for that wormhole!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I listened to a podcast with Derek Trucks and he talked about being at some contest as a 14 year old.  Bonamassa was there too.  Both had their dads with them.   While sitting around Joe told his dad to "go get me a coke".  Derek's dad looked at him and said "Don't even think about it..."    Derek's uncle was Butch Trucks, the late Allman Bros dummer.... he's also a cousin to our very own Detroit Tigers "legend" Virgil Trucks.... he who threw 2 no hitters in a season in which he was something like 5-19.

 

That story wasn't to rip on Joe but rather about how his dad always kept him grounded.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Oblong said:

I listened to a podcast with Derek Trucks and he talked about being at some contest as a 14 year old.  Bonamassa was there too.  Both had their dads with them.   While sitting around Joe told his dad to "go get me a coke".  Derek's dad looked at him and said "Don't even think about it..."    Derek's uncle was Butch Trucks, the late Allman Bros dummer.... he's also a cousin to our very own Detroit Tigers "legend" Virgil Trucks.... he who threw 2 no hitters in a season in which he was something like 5-19.

 

That story wasn't to rip on Joe but rather about how his dad always kept him grounded.

Well to be honest, Joe can be an arrogant ***** at times. He's an Italian from New York with minimal social skills and maximum musical skills. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Oblong said:

Derek Trucks is considered the best slide guitarist alive.  

What i like about him is he's not one to gyrate and make faces while playing.  He was part of that post Stevie Ray Vaughan group - Johnny Lang, Kenny Wayne Shepard, Joe Bonomosa, but he's the best of them.   There's a video of him jamming on stage with the Allmans as a 14 year old.  Later joined their band at 19.  Met his wife Susan (A talent in her own right and she had her own band.  She lost best new artist grammy in 99 to Aguilera) and eventually they merged their two bands together.   They encompass so many genres and you can find what you want in their work, whether it's straight up rock and roll, blues, soul, gospel, maybe a little country.... 

This is my favorite song of theirs... it's like two songs... the sweetness at the beginning and then around 4 minutes in you get Derek's soulful slide work.

If you search just on him you might get more out of it being a guitarist yourselves.  I can only go by what i read others say about him, and listening to his theories.  (Less is more)

 

I like her version of Angel From Montgomery much better than Ms Raitt whom I’ve had a crush on since 1976

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, CMRivdog said:

I like her version of Angel From Montgomery much better than Ms Raitt whom I’ve had a crush on since 1976

Yes!  And they often do a nice segue into Sugaree.

Love that song.... "How the **** can a person go to work in the morning.  Come home in the evening and have nothing to say?"

And I'm crushing big on Susan.  She wears these sundresses and her glasses... 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Biff Mayhem said:

Joe gets a lot of criticism but he is honestly one of the greatest guitarists of all time. He doesn't use a lot of effects as he relies on the guitar, it's built in features and a couple of amps. He says he is a reclusive guitar nerd. I saw him play with Bloodline when he was just a teenager and he blew everyone away with his playing ability and his nerdiness. 

 

 

I first ran across him on some PBS special live concert after a night of drinking about 6 years ago or so.  I turned it on right in the middle of a killer solo.  I went out the next day and got the Live at the Royal Albert Hall performance 2 disc set.  Listened to it non stop for a couple years before I found him again on a live performance for PBS on TV and recorded everything with his name in it.  Unfortunately those performances are not the entire thing only about an hour long.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Biff Mayhem said:

Well to be honest, Joe can be an arrogant ***** at times. He's an Italian from New York with minimal social skills and maximum musical skills. 

This is not a slam on his skills in any way, shape or form.   I have no reason to believe he's not one of the greatest ever.   

My issue is.... I just don't like the music.  I find it to be terribly stale and uninteresting, and I play the damn instrument and should be prone to like it.   It feels like there's not "song craft" - there's just.... bad *** guitar playing.

Most stuff that is guitar-skills-centric only really doesn't do much for me at all, except for the Dead insofar as you can put them in that group.   Someone said these:

Johnny Lang, Kenny Wayne Shepard, Joe Bonomosa

Hate all of their music.  I have no qualms with how well they play the instrument, I'm just not firing it up on the hifi any time soon.

Tedeshi Trucks doesn't fall in this category IMO.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, pfife said:

This is not a slam on his skills in any way, shape or form.   I have no reason to believe he's not one of the greatest ever.   

My issue is.... I just don't like the music.  I find it to be terribly stale and uninteresting, and I play the damn instrument and should be prone to like it.   It feels like there's not "song craft" - there's just.... bad *** guitar playing.

Most stuff that is guitar-skills-centric only really doesn't do much for me at all, except for the Dead insofar as you can put them in that group.   Someone said these:

Johnny Lang, Kenny Wayne Shepard, Joe Bonomosa

Hate all of their music.  I have no qualms with how well they play the instrument, I'm just not firing it up on the hifi any time soon.

Tedeshi Trucks doesn't fall in this category IMO.

 

 

Today's equivalent of Franz Liszt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think a good rule of thumb for me is.... if your band's name is your name, and you're really good at guitar, I'm probably not going to like the music.

So every rule has exceptions, here are several immediate exceptions:

Hendrix, Clapton, and Van Halen.  SRV.   Zappa (not sure he's in the category really?)  I do like all of those.  There are probably others.

 

This is a totally subjective thing, if someone else loves it, I'm glad they've got great music they love. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, pfife said:

I think a good rule of thumb for me is.... if your band's name is your name, and you're really good at guitar, I'm probably not going to like the music.

So every rule has exceptions, here are several immediate exceptions:

Hendrix, Clapton, and Van Halen.  SRV.   I do like all of those.  There are probably others.

 

This is a totally subjective thing, if someone else loves it, I'm glad they've got great music they love. 

 

For sure musicality vs virtuosity is always a debate in every genre of music. I think in the market - it's musicality that tends to win out - or obviously guys that are both. Page is certainly renowned as guitarist, but a lot of the best Led Zeppelin studio stuff doesn't have that much pyro-technic to it, sometimes just several artful lines woven together. Steve Stills comes to mind along those lines also.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have you heard Black Country Communion? It's Bonamassa, Jason Bonham, Glenn Hughes from Deep Purple and a keyboardist. I like that more than any of Joes solo stuff. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, pfife said:

I think a good rule of thumb for me is.... if your band's name is your name, and you're really good at guitar, I'm probably not going to like the music.

So every rule has exceptions, here are several immediate exceptions:

Hendrix, Clapton, and Van Halen.  SRV.   Zappa (not sure he's in the category really?)  I do like all of those.  There are probably others.

 

This is a totally subjective thing, if someone else loves it, I'm glad they've got great music they love. 

 

No Winger???  Daddy says she's too young, but she's old enough for me. Maybe the creepiest song in a decade of creepy songs, and would not have been played on the radio today. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Yoda said:

No Winger???  Daddy says she's too young, but she's old enough for me. Maybe the creepiest song in a decade of creepy songs, and would not have been played on the radio today. 

it's honestly unreal that I forgot Winger

iJ7-Gs3Y_400x400.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×