FloridaTigers

What are you currently listening to?

I watched a concert of his on PBS recently and when talking with a guy at work about it I said "He looks in good shape for his age" and he replied "Well he may not be as old as you think... he was like 15 in the Spencer Davis Group.

have always like Winwood - solid musician. I saw him when he did a double bill with Santana about 10 years ago - that was quite a two'fer.

2 hours ago, Oblong said:

Wasn't it at the request of someone who heard Africa on Stranger Things?

I agree on covers.  Add something to it rather than just playig ig the same way.  What's the point?

Like this,  a surprisingly good cover of the Talking Heads done by Tom Jones & The Cardigans.   Tom Jones is s cheeseball but this song kind of fits that in a fun way. 

1 hour ago, Gehringer_2 said:

have always like Winwood - solid musician. I saw him when he did a double bill with Santana about 10 years ago - that was quite a two'fer.

Biggest problem I had with Winwood was when he had his comeback in the 80s, a bunch of his songs started getting used in TV ads,  way too much and I don't blame him for making more money, but his music started to sound like it was made for  beer commercials to me.  One song "Don't You Know What The Night Can Do" was launched in a beer commercial before it was out as a single and that always rubbed me wrong.   It was way too slickly produced yuppie rock and it took away from his true talent.    Phil Collins - same thing.  The guy is a great drummer, but you wouldn't know it based on his 80s/90s adult contemporary hits.   

15 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

One song "Don't You Know What The Night Can Do" was launched in a beer commercial before it was out as a single and that always rubbed me wrong. 

sort of like the dirty little secret of how many of the novels that are turned into movies (supposedly after the fact) are actually commission by Hollywood for the purpose. ;)

19 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Phil Collins - same thing.  The guy is a great drummer, but you wouldn't know it based on his 80s/90s adult contemporary hits.   

Funny you should mention that. I saw some kind of film piece about Collins long after Genesis where he was working on some non-rock project - he got to talking about having the ambition to play jazz but not having the timing for it. He may have just been deflecting but he was funny talking about it.

33 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Tom Jones is s cheeseball but this song kind of fits that in a fun way. 

LOL - he's still got that great voice though. It's been a tough era in the pop world for guys in particular who only sing.

4 minutes ago, drownwithyou said:

https://intransmissionca.bandcamp.com/

My buddy's band just released a new album that I'm enjoying a lot, the music is great for rainy commutes.

And they're from LB apparently? Awesome. Love the sound, I'll definitely check out more when I'm not already late for work. 

7 minutes ago, Yoda said:

And they're from LB apparently? Awesome. Love the sound, I'll definitely check out more when I'm not already late for work. 

Yep!  Orange County/Long Beach area.  I'm really hoping they play some shows soon.

30 minutes ago, drownwithyou said:

Yep!  Orange County/Long Beach area.  I'm really hoping they play some shows soon.

Let me know if you come up this way for a show. 

5 minutes ago, Yoda said:

Let me know if you come up this way for a show. 

Definitely will, and the first round will be on me!

5 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Funny you should mention that. I saw some kind of film piece about Collins long after Genesis where he was working on some non-rock project - he got to talking about having the ambition to play jazz but not having the timing for it. He may have just been deflecting but he was funny talking about it.

I think if, when younger, he'd launched himself into jazz, he'd have been more than capable.    I think he never gets respected for his drumming talents (including me until a drummer friend told me to listen to some of the stuff he did and how good it really was).  Part of the problem was getting buried in the mix a little bit.  You don't have to have blistering solos to be really good and I think that's where we lose some talented guys.    Bruce Cockburn isn't a guy who shreds, but wow, is he one **** of a guitar player.   He came by our station once and standing in the room while he was playing it's hard to believe there wasn't two guitarists there.  

I'm on one of my Jason Isbell kicks again. These are easy to get on and hard to get off of because this guys songwriting is so damn good!

Another song I am really digging from 2018, from an album I have enjoyed. Courtney Marie Andrews put out a great album titled May Your Kindness Remain. If you're into alt-country/indie-country/americana her album is worth a listen. She sorta has an early career Linda Ronstadt voice and vibe to her. 

One thing I like about these guys is they make me hear music I've listened to for 40+ years with a brand new set of ears:

Love Boston.   Absolutely love 'em.

18 hours ago, Biff Mayhem said:

One thing I like about these guys is they make me hear music I've listened to for 40+ years with a brand new set of ears:

I just watched that yesterday I think. Another fun review of theirs. 

On 1/4/2019 at 9:32 AM, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Boston were really good.

the are a genre of one - 'Symphonic Rock'

1 hour ago, Gehringer_2 said:

the are a genre of one - 'Symphonic Rock'

I don't know that I'd call them Symphonic Rock. I was thinking Engineer Rock. Or white coat rock. 

Heard a really good comp for Cliff Burton today and I absolutely love it. 

Listen to Pulling Teeth. Close your eyes, and picture Jimi Hendrix at Woodstock with a bass guitar. I think this is exactly what that would have sounded like. 

1 hour ago, Yoda said:

I don't know that I'd call them Symphonic Rock. I was thinking Engineer Rock

that's not bad. Scholz did build/design some of the effects equipment they used.

Tonight on Under The Radar Radio it will be "To the Nines" playing songs form years that end in 9 from 1969 - 2009.   

Several great debuts came out in years that ended with 9 including Phish, Joe Jackson, Joy Division, The MC5, Stone Roses, Sigur Ros, 

The most influential band of all time recorded their swan song in 1969, and we'll play music from an artist who was recently thrown out of his own concert for throwing bottles at the sound guy.  

And of course, OF COURSE, it starts with the Stooges. 

Listen on the radio at 107.1 (if you are in or around Ann Arbor) or online at annarbors107one.com starting at 7pm.  

Ryan Adams seems like a real life douchebag given prior comments he's made about an entire genre of music, but damn if teh guy isn't a good songwriter.