gotigers07

Red Wing Playoff Tickets and plenty of them

I was just on ticketmaster and I found out they have plenty of tickets for sale for the first two rounds of the playoffs. Tickets went on sale on April 3rd and there are still plenty left in almost any section you want. I have been trying to get playoff tickets for years at face value for years now, just to find out they sold out in a couple of hours. I wonder why there still are plenty of tickets left for this year.

I was just on ticketmaster and I found out they have plenty of tickets for sale for the first two rounds of the playoffs. Tickets went on sale on April 3rd and there are still plenty left in almost any section you want. I have been trying to get playoff tickets for years at face value for years now, just to find out they sold out in a couple of hours. I wonder why there still are plenty of tickets left for this year.

Tigers are the hot ticket right now...

Tigers are the hot ticket right now...

25,000 on the second day of the season? That's about as hot as a dip in Lake Michigan this time of year.

I think it says more about people:

1. Not believing this team will get past the 2nd round.

2. Realizing a couple years ago that they could live without hockey and even the playoffs.

realizing that ticket prices are too damn ridiculously expensive...why the holy heck would I spend more money to see a 1st round red wings hockey game then a tigers world series game??? I paid 70 bucks for some 'decent' seats a month back...there's no way I'm paying 100 bucks for those tickets...I couldn't even see the whole rink....

25,000 on the second day of the season? That's about as hot as a dip in Lake Michigan this time of year.

not too many people enjoy sitting in 38 degree weather. i was at the game and it really did suck sitting the whole game in that weather. a lot of tickets sold for that game, no one showed up because of the weather and the time

I believe they pretty much sold out the game.

I just did a search and found 16 tickets TOGETHER on Ticketmaster. They must have a TON of seats available. I did searches for 8, 12 and 16 tickets (each search was together) and found them in different price categories. The cheap seats seem to be the $63. I didn't see any cheaper than that (outside of standing room), but for some reason I thought they had some seats that were around $35-$40.

Really is there a lot of people out there that care enough about hockey to spend $70 for the cheap seats at a first round game? Maybe I'm just cheap, but I can imagine sitting in the nose bleeds for $70 at a first round game or even second round game.

It's almost as if too much success breeds indifference in the fans for the early rounds. Now people wont get interested till the Conference Finals.

It's almost as if too much success breeds indifference in the fans for the early rounds. Now people wont get interested till the Conference Finals.

I really don't think it will matter. I'm not sure that people are even willing to pay $100+ for the cheap seats to the NHL Conference Finals.

not too many people enjoy sitting in 38 degree weather. i was at the game and it really did suck sitting the whole game in that weather. a lot of tickets sold for that game, no one showed up because of the weather and the time

That was my point. If you have a "hot ticket" you don't miss out because of the weather. Those same people sit through a lot worse conditions during college football in the fall. The weather was just as bad this week in NY, and something tells me it didn't effect their attendance.

The NHL is hurting right now because of the lockout. Attendance and viewership is down, even in perennial strongholds like Detroit and Canada. When they came back, they should've lowered ticket prices throughout the league.

The NHL is hurting right now because of the lockout. Attendance and viewership is down, even in perennial strongholds like Detroit and Canada. When they came back, they should've lowered ticket prices throughout the league.

Man, I love this sport. Man, I hate this league. You're right, the promised "peace dividend" for the fans was never delivered after the lockout was settled. The NHL should be doing everything it can to get butts in every seat and create a buzz, with several thousand tickets per arena less than $25. The problem is that the owners and players have champagne tastes even though their product is considered to be chopped liver by the average American sports fan. Another problem is how the NHL starts the playoffs so late. Even in Canada, interest peaks in the 1st round and falls steeply after that unless the Habs or Leafs are still involved. When the temperatures outside are 80 degrees and baseball is already 1/3 of the way through its season, by the time the finals roll along fan interest is high in only 2 cities. Edmonton's finals appearance last year created no footprint beyond Alberta.

Man, I love this sport. Man, I hate this league.

I couldn't of said it any better myself. Sometimes I wonder if Bettman even watched a hockey game before becoming commish.

When its all said and done, Bettman will go down as the worst commisioner in the history of sports. Hes absolutely clueless when it comes to hockey. Why the owners thought an NBA guy would be good for the NHL is mind boggling.

That was my point. If you have a "hot ticket" you don't miss out because of the weather. Those same people sit through a lot worse conditions during college football in the fall. The weather was just as bad this week in NY, and something tells me it didn't effect their attendance.

i really don't think the 2nd game of a 162 game season is a "hot ticket" in the alcs the temps were in the 30's and comerica was packed.

That was my point. If you have a "hot ticket" you don't miss out because of the weather. Those same people sit through a lot worse conditions during college football in the fall.

How is this not apples and oranges. If you want to equate a college football game to major league baseball game than it would be like missing 10-12 baseball games due to weather. Big college football teams have 7-8 homes games a year. For big fans, missing one game could mean a lot. Not so in baseball.

The weather was just as bad this week in NY, and something tells me it didn't effect their attendance.
It did.

IMO in Detroit, the lockout has less to do with it. The economy in Detroit is down and people would rather watch the playoff Pistons and even more so the regular season Tigers for much less. If they cut prices by 25%, then IMO you would see attendance zoom. In 1996-2000, my friends and myself would (and did) pay $100+ for Red Wings tickets. Now, we wouldn't pay $60 for playoff tickets. I really don't follow the team, because I know there is little to no chance of me seeing a game live.

How is this not apples and oranges. If you want to equate a college football game to major league baseball game than it would be like missing 10-12 baseball games due to weather. Big college football teams have 7-8 homes games a year. For big fans, missing one game could mean a lot. Not so in baseball.

To me, the number of games is insignificant. If something is truely important to you, sitting in a little cold weather isn't going to matter. Fishermen have all year to fish, but that doesn't stop them from going out in cold, wind, rain, and snow. If your team's games are a hot ticket, than you have die hard fans who show up in any type of conditions. That's why I mentioned New York. Yankees fans live and die with baseball, Tiger fans do not.

It did.

No it didn't. Detroit had an attendance of 24,881 for their second game. New York's was 52,096. The Yankees game was also a night game, in colder weather, with snow flurries.

The economy in Detroit is down and people would rather watch the playoff Pistons and even more so the regular season Tigers for much less.

If you've followed the Wings all year, and you've gone to some of the games, you know this isn't a new problem. The Wings have had a lot of empty seats all year, a problem that is afflicting the entire NHL. I fail to see how Detroit's economy has anything to do with attendance in Canada, or viewership on FSN Detroit, which is also down since the lockout. If it's about the economy, how come baseball experienced the same type of problems after their strike? IMO, this is about the NHL as a league, and not about any economy or some fictional "hot ticket".

To me, the number of games is insignificant. If something is truely important to you, sitting in a little cold weather isn't going to matter. Fishermen have all year to fish, but that doesn't stop them from going out in cold, wind, rain, and snow. If your team's games are a hot ticket, than you have die hard fans who show up in any type of conditions. That's why I mentioned New York. Yankees fans live and die with baseball, Tiger fans do not.

No it didn't. Detroit had an attendance of 24,881 for their second game. New York's was 52,096. The Yankees game was also a night game, in colder weather, with snow flurries.

If you've followed the Wings all year, and you've gone to some of the games, you know this isn't a new problem. The Wings have had a lot of empty seats all year, a problem that is afflicting the entire NHL. I fail to see how Detroit's economy has anything to do with attendance in Canada, or viewership on FSN Detroit, which is also down since the lockout. If it's about the economy, how come baseball experienced the same type of problems after their strike? IMO, this is about the NHL as a league, and not about any economy or some fictional "hot ticket".

attendence and who bought tickets are 2 different things

the red wings average attendance for the season was over 20k which i believe is all the joe holds, and i believe they have soldout every game since 1996

i never knew game 2 of a 162 game schedule was a hot ticket.

also considering new york city has more people then the entire state of michigan, not including the tri state area of new jersey and connecticut, i wonder why it is so easy to find 50k people to go to a yankees game.

i went to the tigers game wednesday. i live 180 miles away. pair of tickets cost me $60. parking $20. gas $30. food $20. so $130 for one game. you may have that kinda of cash to blow on games, but i don't and i only make it out there a couple times a year.

also with a 1 o'clock start, people in detroit do have jobs, and all the ones that don't, don't have $130 to blow on a tigers game. sometimes people value putting food on the table then watching the tigers, so no we aren't as great as new yorkers, and we won't boo our best player.

I would venture to say that most fisherman do not go out 81 days a year. If they only had 8 available days (college football games) to fish, they wouldn't miss one. If they only had 81 days to fish, most would miss some days and can still be considered die hard fisherman in my book. Perhaps they wouldn't in your book. IMO this is a worse example than your college football analogy.

Whether you want to admit it or not, the Tigers are a "hot ticket". There is no denying it IMO. I've attended several Pistons and Red Wings playoff games over the past 10 years. I would equate the current Tigers to the Red Wings of the mid to late 90's. Very hot tickets. They will generate 2-3 times the amount of ticket revenue this year than any other Detroit team this season. Obviously that is due to having 81 home games.

You can say what you want, but the Pistons have had some trouble selling tickets this year (correct me if I am wrong, something I had heard). I do not believe it has much to do with anything but a troubled economy. At least not to my circle of friends. I've known several people/businesses give up their Pistons and Lions packages due to uncertainty at work. I just assumed that affected the Red Wings as well. Of course everyone knows what "assume" means!! :confused:

Is there a chance the Red Wings home playoff games could be blacked out? We have never had to worry about blackouts with the Wings before.

The Red Wings payroll is half of what it was before the lockout. Yet their ticket prices remained the same right? Something isn't right there.

I would venture to say that most fisherman do not go out 81 days a year. If they only had 8 available days (college football games) to fish, they wouldn't miss one. If they only had 81 days to fish, most would miss some days and can still be considered die hard fisherman in my book. Perhaps they wouldn't in your book. IMO this is a worse example than your college football analogy.

Whether you want to admit it or not, the Tigers are a "hot ticket". There is no denying it IMO. I've attended several Pistons and Red Wings playoff games over the past 10 years. I would equate the current Tigers to the Red Wings of the mid to late 90's. Very hot tickets. They will generate 2-3 times the amount of ticket revenue this year than any other Detroit team this season. Obviously that is due to having 81 home games.

You can say what you want, but the Pistons have had some trouble selling tickets this year (correct me if I am wrong, something I had heard). I do not believe it has much to do with anything but a troubled economy. At least not to my circle of friends. I've known several people/businesses give up their Pistons and Lions packages due to uncertainty at work. I just assumed that affected the Red Wings as well. Of course everyone knows what "assume" means!! :confused:

the pistons have sold out every game this season and their sellout streak is at 174 games

Is there a chance the Red Wings home playoff games could be blacked out? We have never had to worry about blackouts with the Wings before.

The Red Wings payroll is half of what it was before the lockout. Yet their ticket prices remained the same right? Something isn't right there.

No, the NHL doesn't have blackout rules like the NFL does. The playoff games will end up being sold out, like every other Wings home game has been. Even though the regular season games have not been filled 100% to capacity (this is due to no shows, not the tickets not being sold), the playoffs are another story.

I don't think that many teams lowered ticket prices after the lockout, most kept them the same for the first year back.