smr-nj

Finally got to WATCH a Yankee game

... on tv, since my cable company STILL isn't carrying the YES network, I've been "locked out".

But last night's Yankee / Red Sox game was on CBS, so I got to see it.

What a great game !! Yanks on the losing end of it, 3-2, but wow! These teams play great baseball against each other, even this early in the year.

I'll have to "listen" to today's game on the radio ( Pedro vs. Wells), but I'm guessing it'll be another good game.

Seems like your TV situation is all screwed up. Are the games just available on premium channels, is that the problem? Seems like a market as large as New York would automatically offer what the consumer wants.

Still my favorite rivalry in sports.

(although Sue and I root for opposite teams. But, hey - I have a sister that lives in Boston).

It WOULD be more a rivalry if the Yankees didn't win all the time.

Ah, but they usually don't win most of them, TC..... just the IMPORTANT ones. ha. :D

Actually the best game I've ever seen in person was the Boston / New York game a couple of summers ago on a Sunday night - ESPN game - Pedro against Clemens - and the Sox won that one .... but I'd never seen or been to a more exciting game, it made it easier to swallow the loss.

I still have to find a way to get to Boston with tickets to see a game at Fenway before it goes away..... I don't even care if it's a game against the Yankees ( which is impossible to get tickets).

I just really want to see that park.

ha.

Almost. Northern NJ, anyway.

...the joke's always been that people who "escaped" the Bronx, moved to NJ, people who "escaped" Brooklyn or Queens, went to Long Island...

It's like both groups kept their "borough" prejudices,too....... Long Island transplants rag on Jersey transplants, and visa versa.

The reason for the fuss is basically because Cablevision is sticking it to George for starting his own network. YES is affiliated with the Nets, Yankees, and Devils, while Cablevision is affiliated with the Knicks, Rangers, and I believe Mets but that last one may be innacurate. The Yankees were on MSG. They left. Good for them, but Cablevision isn't going to do them any favors. I heard an interview with a TV critic yesterday, and he said he didn't know what the fuss was about. He said that people had to pay for MSG too. So basically, people who have no interest in sports don't have to pay for the YES network. His closing line was "Somebody has to foot the bill for the payroll." So, in essense, I don't feel sorry for New York fans. You win all those championships because you have all that money in the world, but the revenue is derived (a lot of it is anyway) from the cable packages. So, you can't have it both ways. May come as a shock to some New Yorkers, but they're not entitled to everything.

Nice spin, EWE, but not quite the accurate story.

Let's just say every other cable provider picked up YES and added it to their present lineup within their current lineups.

Cablevision is insisting that if they pick it up, they want to make it a premium channel like HBO, etc.... charging up to $10 for those who want it.

Meanwhile, MSG, etc.... was and still is on their regular cable lineup, NOT a premium channel.... (that's where the Yankee broadcasts used to be.)

Cablevision's line is that they want to give people a choice as to whether to have this station or not.

Well, why don't I have a choice on other stations that are part of their lineup? What if I don't want the NASCAR station? Or the four religious stations I have to have? Or the three cooking stations?

Please...... Cablevision is suffering from sourgrapes, and Yankee fans are suffering the brunt of it.

Every other Cable provider in the tri-state area has been carrying YES since spring training. Cablevision won't even sit down with YES to iron out a compromise.

But go ahead....... and say "Yankee fans are getting what they deserve" if it fits your world view.

I'm trying to figure out where we disagree. :confused: That was my whole point, they are sticking it to George, or as you said, sour grapes. Having said that, I don't feel pity for those who can't watch the games because the cable packages are one of the main reasons why the Yankees win the pennant every year in January.

Every other Cable provider in the tri-state area has been carrying YES since spring training.

Maybe so, but they're also reaping the benefits of unlimited revenue in the process. Cablevision is under no obligation to YES whatsoever. It is gutty yes, but it's their right.

I think

I'm trying to figure out where we disagree

is because of

So, in essense, I don't feel sorry for New York fans. You win all those championships because you have all that money in the world, but the revenue is derived (a lot of it is anyway) from the cable packages. So, you can't have it both ways.

You are basically saying that fans like Sue deserve what she gets.

Cablevision is just looking for a way to make some extra money and found this as an excuse.

Let me bet that there is no competition for cable where you live Sue?

I'm not saying that, but I'm not shedding tears for them either. I know there are some long-time Tiger fans who still can't get WXYT's signal, and therefore can't get the games. Who's crying for them?

That's apples and oranges. In the Tigers case, it's the team that went to a station with a weak signal and they haven't upgraded yet.

In this case it's the people that carry the signal (the cable company) that are sticking it to the fans by refusing to do what their competitors have done. It's not technology or beaurocratic paperwork that's standing in the way.

I know it's apples and oranges Oblong. Either way the fans of both teams are getting screwed. When I signed up for Directv a few years back, in order to get Cubs games I had to sign up for a package that included WGN. For normal cable WGN is included, but not for Directv. I thought it was a little unfair, but instead of crying about it, knowing there was nothing I could do, I just signed up for the extra package.

Originally posted by Evenings with Ernie

When I signed up for Directv a few years back, in order to get Cubs games I had to sign up for a package that included WGN. For normal cable WGN is included, but not for Directv.

How many different ways can I say this?

You, in Michigan, not being able to get CUBS coverage is NOT the same as me, 20 miles from NY, in the NY viewing area, with CABLEVISION having a monopoly in my viewing area, not being able to have my HOME team available on their system AT ALL.

It's NOT the same EWE.

But go ahead and dance in the street.

I'm not quite sure why you are getting so upset with me Sue, I think you are missing my point. Here in Grand Rapids, WGN is a normal part of the basic cable service. Directv stated however that it was a premium channel. It's really not, but since they make up their own rules, they can say whatever they want, charge whatever they want. Cablevision is a business. It has no obligation to put the YES network on it's stations, it just doesn't. It doesn't seem fair to you, but the bottom line is Cablevision has no legal obligation to provide you that channel as part of their basic cable package. Don't get mad at Cablevision, get mad at Steinbrenner who got greedy.

No.. she should get mad at Cablevision because they are the ones denying her the service as part of basic cable. They know there will be a demand for that so they decided to take that opportunity to make it a premium. Legal, yes, absolutely. But it's still stupid and I bet you $1 that if there were anothe cable company in her area that she could choose from, they'd stop. But since they have a monopoly, they can do what they want. George Steinbrenner is not behind it or else the other 3 cable companies would also be charging it for the premium.

Have you SEEN the YES Network Rob? If there is a channel out there that SHOULD be considered a premium channel, this one is it. This channel rocks. It's all Yankees all the time. This isn't your normal rinky-dink cable channel. I do think the whole thing is stupid, I'll grant you that, but they still are abiding by the laws. Well Sue, there were four guys that sued Cablevision last week, so we'll see if anything comes of that (I doubt it).

If the other cable providers aren't charging then Cablevision shouldn't either. Cable is a tricky deal because many providers have monopolies in their viewing areas. it could be viewed as price gouging.

Does Cablevision operate in a competitive territory and still charge for YES?

I bet they compromise by opening the station up for Yankee games but then leaving the rest of the garbage for the people who pay $10 a month.