redshark63

2007 Eastern League Preview

http://www.easternleague.com/2007Preview.htm

for the complete league preview.

Here is the Seawolves preview pulled from that:

Erie SeaWolves

(2006 Record: 60-81)

After finishing the 2006 season with a league-worst record of 60-81, the Erie SeaWolves should rebound with a strong performance in 2007 as the club is expected to feature three of the top four rated prospects in the Detroit Tigers organization at some point early in the year.

Out of those three players one of them, RHP Jair Jurrjens, is expected to be in Erie for the start of the season. Jurrjens made his Double-A debut with the SeaWolves last year and went 4-3 with 53 strikeouts and a 3.36 ERA in 12 starts as a 20-year old. Another pitcher expected to join Jurrjens in the rotation following a brief stay in Lakeland to start the year is 2006 first round pick Andrew Miller. The left-hander made his Major League debut with the Tigers last year as a reliever but will be returning to the minor leagues as a starting pitcher.

One of Miller's teammates in Lakeland at the start of the season will be Detroit's top rated prospect, Cameron Maybin. Like Miller, the outfielder is expected to have a short stay in the Florida State League before receiving a promotion to Erie.

Other highlights in Erie include the opening of a brand new, two-level, picnic/beer garden down the right field line at Jerry Uht Park and a new auxiliary scoreboard.

Hope the Seawolves can turn there dismal season from a year ago into a great season this year. I think the coaching changes there were very much needed and should make for an exciting year.

Good stuff !!

As of today, the season looks very bright. Here's to hoping we can say the same thing in September.

I think Erie is going to a have very good team. From what I saw in the spring they looked well coached and the players looked focus. I think the core of JJ, Delacruz, Larish, Thomas, Dlugach, along with Joyce should be a good start. When and if Miller and Maybin join the squad wow will be the word.

How do you guys seeing the outfield shaking up if Maybin comes? Thomas to LF Maybin CF, or Maybin RF Joyce to LF Thomas staying in CF. Should all be interesting but fun!

At this moment in time, there is NO WAY the'd put Maybin anywhere except center. I wonder if they will leave Thomas in Erie at a corner or ship him to Lakeland to stay in center when Maybin arrives? But, that can be topic for another day (sometime in later May?), but, for now, I agree with you about the team...........add Hollimon in the discussion from the post above and a healthy Kirkland and they may turn last year's record around...

I think Erie is going to a have very good team. From what I saw in the spring they looked well coached and the players looked focus. I think the core of JJ, Delacruz, Larish, Thomas, Dlugach, along with Joyce should be a good start. When and if Miller and Maybin join the squad wow will be the word.

How do you guys seeing the outfield shaking up if Maybin comes? Thomas to LF Maybin CF, or Maybin RF Joyce to LF Thomas staying in CF. Should all be interesting but fun!

Maybin will be in CF no matter what.

................yea and Hollimon will be at ss, too, right ?

Different situations completely.

Of course they moved him because of his defense right....? I am not sure why you even would make a comment like this except for the fact that you wanted to bate a response like a child. You already said something similar. Why not drop things instead of carrying on?

No problem, you opened the "can" with your comment, you should think before you post which I did and KNEW you'd whine about it!!

Sooooooooooo, here we go again........

No problem, you opened the "can" with your comment, you should think before you post which I did and KNEW you'd whine about it!!

Sooooooooooo, here we go again........

What are you talking about? What in the heck is your problem? If I didn't know better I would think you were 12.

I have seen Trevor Crowe play in the past. He is a really good leadoff hitter. He stood out immediately when I saw him because the ball had a different jump off of his bat than the other players.

He didn't always take the best routes on balls but made up for it with his speed.

He struggled a bit with the transition to AA last season though (he was bumped late in the season).

Andrew McCutchen is a really good baseball talent. He is a 5 tool prospect that has absolutely flown through the Pirate system. I don't know if he will ever have the power that Maybin projects to possibly have. But he is a good one to watch nonetheless. I am not sure how long he will be there. The Pirates may call him up midseason if he shows something in AA. He doesnt turn 21 until October.

Those are two players that I have comments on. There are others in the league that are very good as well like Ellsbury and Snider.