http://www.suntimes.com/lifestyles/religion/315718,CST-NWS-pass28.article

This one gave me a chuckle.

No pot for Passover

March 28, 2007

BY MATTI FRIEDMAN

JERUSALEM -- In bad news for its religious Jewish supporters, an Israeli pro-marijuana party announced Tuesday that pot is forbidden on Passover.

Cannabis is among the substances Jews are forbidden to consume during the weeklong festival, which begins Monday, said Michelle Levine, a spokeswoman for the Green Leaf party.

Biblical laws prohibit eating leavened foods during Passover, replacing bread with flat crackers called matza. Later injunctions by European rabbis extended those rules to forbid other foods like beans and corn, and more recent rulings have further expanded the ban to include hemp seeds, which today are found in some health oils -- and in marijuana.

Green Leaf is a small political party that supports the legalization of marijuana. Although it is by no means a Jewish religious authority, the group decided to warn its observant supporters away from the drug on Passover.

"You shouldn't smoke marijuana on the holiday, and if you have it in your house you should get rid of it," Levine said.

But the rabbinic injunctions banning hemp were never adopted by Sephardic Jews, who come from countries in the Middle East and North Africa. That means there is no reason they can't keep smoking marijuana, Levine said, except that it remains illegal.

Green Leaf contested the last three national elections but never won a seat, despite gaining popularity as a protest vote.

The whole idea that a religion bans a substance for some of its adherents and allows its usage by other adherents is inherently ridiculous.

The whole idea that a religion bans a substance for some of its adherents and allows its usage by other adherents is inherently ridiculous.

Did you read the same article that I read?

Did you read the same article that I read?

I think he's refering to the sephardic vs. ashkenazic divide. Ashkenazi jews have a lot more passover restrictions because they faced different conditions in central europe