DTroppens

Steve O'Neil

I can be swayed on him fairly easy. I haven't voted for him and right now probably won't. He did manage some good teams so I wonder why I shouldn't vote for him. I knew he would be a tough call before we started this and I still am confused. Why am I not voting for him? 1940? 1944? Those were good years.

Why am I not giving him credit? Why should I?

Please any comments are helpful.

P.S. I missed the second l on his name. I know. I noticed it as soon as it showed up on the screen again. Darn

I posted this in the 1950 election thread (I know you saw it, just reposting here as well):

Steve O'Neill definitely warrants some consideration in the Manager category.

Year    League   Team     Age  G     W    L    WP   Finish
+----+-----------+--------+---+-----+----+----+------+------+
1943 American Lg Detroit 51 155 78 76 .506 5
1944 American Lg Detroit 52 156 88 66 .571 2
1945 American Lg Detroit 53 155 88 65 .575 WS 1
1946 American Lg Detroit 54 155 92 62 .597 2
1947 American Lg Detroit 55 158 85 69 .552 2
1948 American Lg Detroit 56 154 78 76 .506 5

4 straight seasons over .550 Winning Percentage.

It can be argued that a team's record is not relevant to a manager's performance, but I don't know what other metric to use.

Almost had 2 pennants (1 game behind the Browns in 1944). The team ran against very strong Red Sox (1946) and Yankee (1947) teams.

Overall winning percentage of .559 with Cleveland, Detroit, Boston, and Phillies. NEVER HAD A LOSING TEAM. Luck or had a little influence on the team.

Found this interesting bit in Wiki:

Two of Steve O'Neill’s daughters married baseball players, one of whom was Skeeter Webb, who worked for O'Neill when he managed the Detroit Tigers during the 1940s.

Apparently he also coached for the Tigers as well. Not sure when though.

--------------------------------------------------

Dave: You're a mod, can't you change thread titles w/ your superior powers??:classic:

Those really are good numbers. Second four straight years with the roster changing all the time because of the war. Maybe we don't give him enough credit for that.

You forget the name and just tell someone the results and it's hard to vote against him. Never a losing season.

I'm a big fan of Steve O'Neill, his mishandling of Wakefield notwithstanding. I place him third behind Anderson and Jennings in terms of Tigers managers with longevity and success. A distant third, but third nonetheless.

Those really are good numbers. Second four straight years with the roster changing all the time because of the war. Maybe we don't give him enough credit for that.

I wish I could agree or disagree...do we give him enough credit or too much for the roster changes and the teams records? It is nice reading debates and weighing intangibles that do not fit into the usual math formulas I am used to seeing here.

I think (for many) as we get nearer to the present the former players will actually become personalities and not math homework.