markmeista

Worst college class you ever took?

biology with a lab is right up there with me, but would you believe Intro to Library kicked my butt? 2 week course with a teacher who will not let technology get in the way to save her job.. use the card catalog, but you can also find all the info on computers..she over loaded us with home work and working during the day, it was a real challenge

Differential Equations

I contend this is one of those teacher-makes-the-class courses.

For me, absolute cake and one of the funnest classes I ever had.

Organic Chemistry II. Made me change my major within two weeks.

I'm really happy I do not have to take this one. I have a friend in my hall who is failing it as we speak, in spite of putting considerable effort into it

Since a few people mentioned high school classes, I can't leave unmentioned my junior year French class, which was taught by a fast-talking Chinese woman.

After acing French in freshman and sophomore years, I averaged 42 percent in that class.

My Technical Writing course at UM was probably my worst. Got to do real interesting things like write a 6 page memo or a 12 page RFP. Also extra fun when those are group assignments and you're the only one in your group who can string two sentences together or put any sort of effort into the assignment. I know what you're saying, "but Sparks you're a terrible writer!". Well, keep in mind this was a class in the engineering school.

What's the deal with people blowing off group assignments anyway? I was a fairly lazy student (unfortunately), but I ALWAYS did my fair share of work on my group assignments and usually more than my fair share. I guess some people are OK with being complete *******s.

Reading Fiction. Sounds easy enough, right? Our professor killed that class. It was in a lecture hall of about 150+, and he'd use the entire class period to talk for about 5 minutes about story/passage's content, then relate it to something in his life (usually his "weekend friend" -- no joke, and yes he was married), and finally spin off into a tangent about events in his life that were completely unrelated to the original point.

The quizzes and tests had a ridiculous curve to them. Quizzes would have 25 questions, but 15 and up was an A. He wasn't doing this to be nice, he was doing this because his questions didn't make an ounce of sense and had nothing to do with the overall meaning or content of whatever had been read. Tests were 40, and 32+ was an A for the same reason. I got a C in that class, and I studied more than the average student.

Political Science 101. I had no idea what I was in for.

In what way, sag?

-Tony

Diff-EQ was great but pretty tough. Never took Organic but I understand it is used to weed out folks from Med School track at many schools.

Toughest was Counterpoint at 8 AM 4 days per week in a class of 4 students. No place to hide and no way to skip. Work was doable, it was taught well, but so hard to get there and my advisor as teaching it so bad idea to skip.

I'm finding that several of my second year MBA classes are very much "pie in the sky" in terms of innovation, strategy, and management theory. The professor (and several students) seem to speak and write just to be heard, and there is quite a bit of oneupsmanship occurring that is semi-nauseating.

In what way, sag?

I'm an engineer and that class was the exact opposite of how I operate. I don't think I've ever had to think about what I think so much in my life. :alien:

I suppose it wasn't actually the worst class, just the most alien to me. I guess the worst was Electrical Engineering I (Electrical Circuits). I hate Op-amps.

Physics was probably the one class that I never really had a good understanding of the material. Definitely don't use that side of my brain. Of all the other classes i've taken, they've all been based on the prof. If the test is poorly constructed, or the class is poorly taught, I absolutely despise that class. But it really has little to do with the material, i'd say.

Physics was probably the one class that I never really had a good understanding of the material. Definitely don't use that side of my brain. Of all the other classes i've taken, they've all been based on the prof. If the test is poorly constructed, or the class is poorly taught, I absolutely despise that class. But it really has little to do with the material, i'd say.

I'd say that's the case with me for almost all subjects but literature

I wish I could remember more specifics, but as a freshman in college I had to take a class that was part art appreciation, part musical history, part architectural history and part literature history. That in itself sucked, because there was just way too much subject matter, but it was compounded with the fact that the guy teaching the class was making some pretty offensive/peverted jokes on an almost daily basis.

Philosophy of Western Religions... Needed a non-introductory humanities credit and had a hard time taking the class seriously.

I suppose it wasn't actually the worst class, just the most alien to me. I guess the worst was Electrical Engineering I (Electrical Circuits). I hate Op-amps.

I didn't mind op-amps too much. I hated Thermo because I'm an EE and didn't think I would ever use thermodynamics. I was wrong about that but I'll still never need to do calculations of heat transfers - just understand the principles that relate to an EE.

I didn't mind op-amps too much. I hated Thermo because I'm an EE and didn't think I would ever use thermodynamics. I was wrong about that but I'll still never need to do calculations of heat transfers - just understand the principles that relate to an EE.

Yeah, I went CE. My main problem with op-amps was that I didn't realize how important they were for the first exam. I've never done that poorly on a test that I actually studied for.

I dodged Thermo and took Dynamics and Vibration instead, which I actually liked.

I had a really stupid art appreciation class at the University of Toledo. We drove the 10 or so miles to the Toledo Museum of Art, went into a classroom the size of a large closet, and they showed us photos of paintings at the Museum. They wouldn't let us actually see the paintings up close. Probably afraid that the left-over alcohol on our breath would cause oil-based paint to peel. I could never figure out why we couldn't take that class on campus. Bring the photos to us, morons.

I actually took both (1) History of Rock & Roll and (2) Music Business at KVCC back in 1989. Can't remember if either counted as an elective credit or not.

Worst was an Anthropology class at WMU (1990). Teacher was horrible and one kid was respectively countering evolution. She was horrid to him. Very angry person.

Oh Yeah, when I was in the WMU Teaching program I took a "Women's studies" class. As stereotypical as you might imagine how this class would go on a satire tv show. wow.

I took a linguistics class once....the grad student was so f'ing hot teaching it, I used to go to class with bottles of mixed drinks and just sit there, get drunk, and imagine me doing naughty things to her

There isn't one particular one that stands out as worst of all. The bad ones that come to mind at the moment:

-A Spanish class I attempted taking at GRCC. It was an intro-to-Spanish class. Supposed to be for students with absolutely no knowledge of the Spanish language. The professor walked into class the first day and proceeded to talk for 5+ minutes in nothing but Spanish. It didn't get much better after that. I tried to keep up, but had to drop it after the first couple of weeks because I didn't have nearly enough time to figure everything out on my own and then study and memorize it all as well. Seems to me that if you're teaching students that don't know any Spanish you should probably do most of the explaining in English so they can understand what you're saying.

-An Economics class at Ferris. I forget now if it was Macro or Micro or both. Anyway, I thought I was interested in Economics before I took the classes. The instructor demolished my interest rather easily. I think she was very educated about the stuff she was teaching, but her teaching was extremely dry, bland, boring, etc. One of the worst classes I took, and solely because of the instructor.

-A Systems in Business class at Ferris. I already knew everything that was taught in the class before I took the class. I wasted a lot of money and hours for that class, all because it was required for my degree and no way to test out of it. To make matters worse, the classroom temperature was always about 10-15 degrees colder than all of my other classes, so not only was the class ridiculously boring it was also very uncomfortable.

Tell me that you guys have some really great college classes as well? Please!! I'm getting depressed reading these.

Ian

I did have a few great ones. Only a few though.

Introduction to Statistics (at Ferris). Interesting subject matter, excellent professor (Nathaniel Tymes).

Contracts and Sales (at Ferris). Interesting subject matter, excellent professor (Gayle Lopez).

Advanced Systems Design & Implementation (at Ferris). Class lectures were mind-numbingly boring. The general idea of the class was to work together to create a software application that could be used in real-life. It was a good class because I got to work in a group with 3 other guys and we created something extremely useful that could have been used at the college to streamline the student tech support department. They didn't actually use it though - it would have put some people out of their jobs. Arguably the only IS class I took at Ferris where I felt I personally got something out of the class.

If you want to get into best class ever, Kinetics of Human Motion. The first to send a video of an injury during the Super Bowl got bonus... We modeled Carson Palmer's knee injury and several Youtube video's while getting a ton of fun anatomy information. Great class...