84 Lives!!!

2007 Mock Draft Discussion Thread

You know that Alan Branch pick may turn out to be a good pick for Cleveland.

He'd be a great pick for Cleveland, because he is so versatile. The Browns run a 3-4 base and Branch can play NT and DE in that system. Team him up with Kamerion Wimbley (stud pass rusher they drafted last year) and Leigh Bodden (extremely underrated corner) and you got yourself a hell of a defensive nucleus.

This draft is similar to a normal draft. If Cleveland doesn't AP, he could slide quite a bit.

I am thinking Houston is going to take AP here, with Green injured quite often, AP could be the pick here......if not then he just might drop all the way down to Buffalo.

This draft is similar to a normal draft. If Cleveland doesn't AP, he could slide quite a bit.

I'm not certain I would call it that.

With Peterson dropping... to Houston at this point... I'm 99% certain Houston would be fielding offers and one of Atlanta or Buffalo would be willing to give up a 2nd to move into the 8th spot to select AP. I'm pretty certain Houston would take the trade down too, because all of their best options, Gaines, Branch, & Anderson, and Joe Thomas, and Brady Quinn, have been selected.

Probably Buffalo because Atlanta wouldn't be under pressure to do so, but I think would take AP if he fell to them, needing an alternative to Dunn... and one who could ease into a starter after learning from Dunn...

Just my 'pinion.

At this point... due to the Texans needs (I can't see them taking AP, even if he falls, because they're locked into Green for 4 years... even if you pick a developmental RB to eventually take Green's place, it has to be a lower round, or a year or two later if a high-round pick... because there are too many other areas that need to be monetarily invested in... and putting a $-investment into AP at this point would be a bad allocation of their resources...):

There are several BPA's that would fit their team: specifically, Laron Landry, Leon Hall, and Levi Brown...

So without further delay... with the 8th pick in the 2007 NFL draft, the Houston Texans select:

Pertinent scouting report:

Link: http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/dt/amobiokoye.html

Amobi Okoye

Height: 6-2 | Weight: 302 | 40-Time: 4.97

Strengths:

Extremely strong...A solid athlete with good measurables...Stout against the run and is able to take on multiple blockers...Gets a good push and will collapse the pocket...Is able to shed blocks and clog up the middle...Shows great instincts for the game and is still developing...Smart player who is mature beyond his years and wants to improve...Quick and will penetrate and rush the passer...Still has a ton of potential and he could really be physically molded by a pro strength coach.

Weaknesses:

Doesn't always play with proper leverage...Does not have a great burst of closing speed...Has to develop some additional pass rush moves...Is inconsistent and will disappear from the action at times...Needs some technique work and is not yet a finished product...Is he overrated simply due to his being extraordinarily young?

Notes:

Has four years of Division I playing experience but will still only be a 20-year-old rookie in the NFL...A native of Nigeria who tested into the 9th grade as a 12-year-old and played at Louisville as a 16-year-old true freshman in '03...The NFL Draft has never seen a prospect quite like this and even though he is already a very good player now it's his upside that is really intriguing...Impact interior lineman.

Career Statistics

Year GP TKL TFL SACK
2003 13 17 2.0 1.0
2004 11 26 2.0 1.0
2005 11 23 4.0 0.5
2006 13 55 15.0 8.0
Total 48 121 23.0 10.5

The key issues why the Texans make this selection:

Team needs: Lots.

But Mario Williams will never reach his potential unless he gets some help. MW may also end up as a better run defender than pass rusher, so... The Texans need O-Line help, D-Line help, a 2nd WR, CB, new developmental QB, a LB'er or 2...

Okoye helps the defense the most. Us Houston's will probably get criticized for this selection... but... Amobi has... POTENTIAL!!!! :grin:

Actually... Amobi helps Mario Williams, will help the secondary by getting pressure on the QB, and will help with the run defense...

Talent-wise... the key reasons Houston slects Okoye are (I'm stealing from the scouting report above):

1) Extremely strong

2) Stout against the run

3) able to take on multiple blockers

4) will collapse the pocket

5) Shows great instincts for the game and is still developing (only 20 years old!!!)

6) Smart player who is mature beyond his years

7) Quick, will penetrate & rush the passer

8) Still has a ton of potential

9) Could really be physically molded by a pro strength coach.

10) DT Pass-rushing!!! ... 2006: 8.0 sacks!!!

He wont fall past the Bills at #12. In fact right now they'd have an interesting decision. Miami, Jax, and SF already have commitments to young backs and probably wouldn't take Peterson. He may fall right to them or someone may trade up in front of them.

I'm a big fan of Amobi Okoye..... I'd like to see the Lions end up with him... not sure how he would fit in, but just has the talent and character that the Lions need.

He wont fall past the Bills at #12. In fact right now they'd have an interesting decision. Miami, Jax, and SF already have commitments to young backs and probably wouldn't take Peterson. He may fall right to them or someone may trade up in front of them.

Atlanta might take him ahead of their pick. AP would be perfect to share with Dunn and eventually take over for him...

Also, yeah, if I'm Buffalo, I'm worried about someone jumping ahead and selecting AP if he does fall to at least the #8 or later area. And worried Atlanta will select at their spot...

So unless they really like Marshawn Lynch and are willing to sit and wait for whoever falls to them... if AP gets past #7, Buff has to seriously consider losing their 2nd rounder to go up and get Peterson.

I think either Houston or Miami would jump at the extra pick and move down...

...I think either Houston or Miami would jump at the extra pick and move down...

Probably Miami moreso than Houston... my guess...

I will gladly move down if someone wants to move up and get AP.....hint hint....Green Bay, NY Giants!

Hey... you said no trades!!!

I will gladly move down if someone wants to move up and get AP.....hint hint....Green Bay, NY Giants!
I thought we werent REALLY trading? lol

Edit...you guys are quick!

I think the Bills would've been on the phones with the Dolphins. I got the Jags and Falcons mixed up. Atlanta has to like him there very much and that would've forced the Bills hand. Since the possibility of AP sliding to them is over, they'll go back towards the other players they were targeting. Marshawn is one of them.

was just trying to mess with Hongbit since I know he is gonna take AP

Sssshhhhhhh!!!!

He's gotta wait out 2 more picks!!!!