Fool Inc.

Bertuzzi To Detroit

Not bad at all (note performance based conditions):

Shawn Matthias+

A conditional pick:

If bertuzzi resigns -- 2nd round pick.

If bert is a top scorer and Detroit is a final four team, they surrender a 1st round pick.

If bert is on the team and they make teh SCF they surrender the 1st round pick.

Holland on wxyt right now...says he expects Bertuzzi to get into lineup by mid-March, with a couple more weeks of getting him into shape

Just heard from Holland that Ryan Smyth went to the Islanders. Think that I also saw that on letsgowings.com. interesting deal...I thought he was going to resign

Great job by Ken Holland to get this guy for what he did. Once we get Sammy back, cleary back, Bertuzzi gets healthy, and now that we have a fiesty Kyle Calder, this roster has the pieces to make a legitimate cup run. That is if anybody besides Zets shows up for the playoffs.

I hate losing Matthias, but this is a move Kenny had to make. Compared to what other teams are giving up, this was a good deal despite the risk. I would've rather had Smyth, but not at that price. Maybe we can snag Smyth in the offseason, although I wouldn't be surprised if he went back to Edmonton

He is a long way from being healthy. He hasn't played since October and Florida has been anticipating his return since Christmas. They had every incentive in the world to get him on the ice the last week to try and improve his market value and he couldn't even suit up. I'd say his return in mid-March is optimistic.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news?slug=ap-redwings-bertuzzi&prov=ap&type=lgns

Red Wings add toughness with Bertuzzi in trade with Panthers

By LARRY LAGE, AP Sports Writer

February 27, 2007

DETROIT (AP) -- The Detroit Red Wings wanted to add toughness and depth up front, and they seemed to accomplish both goals just before the NHL's trading deadline.

Detroit acquired Todd Bertuzzi from Florida on Tuesday, a day after picking up forward Kyle Calder in a three-team trade.

"We've added some size, grit, skill and depth," Red Wings general manager Ken Holland said. "We're a much better team than we were 48 hours ago."

Bertuzzi hasn't played since he had lower back surgery in November -- after being sidelined for more than two weeks by a herniated disc. He has a goal and six assists in seven games after being acquired last summer in a trade that sent top goalie Roberto Luongo to Vancouver.

The Red Wings hope to have Bertuzzi in the lineup by the end of March.

"I've been feeling a lot better," Bertuzzi said. "I've been doing some work off the ice and I've been skating the past two weeks."

The Panthers acquired forward Shawn Matthias and up to two conditional draft picks in the deal. Detroit will give up a first-, second-, or third-round pick this year depending on how the team and the 6-foot-3, 245-pound Bertuzzi fare in the playoffs.

"Bertuzzi is a huge, talented man that adds the dimensions of size and skill that we need on one of our top two lines," Detroit coach Mike Babcock told The Associated Press.

If Bertuzzi signs with Detroit after becoming a free agent after the season, Babcock said the team will send a conditional pick to Florida.

While playing for the Canucks in March 2004, Bertuzzi sucker-punched Colorado's Steve Moore in the head in one of hockey's ugliest episodes. He served a 17-month suspension after hitting Moore in the side of the head and driving him face-first into the ice, breaking three vertebrae in his neck, giving him a concussion and other injuries.

"I'm so far behind that, it's not an issue anymore," Bertuzzi said. "Obviously, I have issues off the ice and I hope people respect the privacy of that situation. It has nothing to do with me going to Detroit, or me playing hockey. It's just a personal issue that I'll take care of myself."

Nearly a year ago, Bertuzzi's lawyers were seeking to have the civil lawsuit Moore filed heard in a British Columbia court instead of in Ontario.

Moore was seeking $15 million in lost wages, $1 million in aggravated damages and another $2 million in punitive damages from Bertuzzi in a lawsuit filed in Ontario in February while the Canucks star was playing for Canada at the Olympic Games. Moore's parents also were claiming $1.5 million in damages for "the nervous shock and mental distress" caused by the attack.

Bertuzzi pleaded guilty to assaulting Moore and was sentenced to probation and community service.

The Red Wings gave up one of their forwards, Jason Williams, to Chicago to acquire Calder and sent a prospect to Florida in the Bertuzzi deal.

Matthias has played in the Ontario Hockey League for the Belleville Bulls the past three seasons. He has 33 goals and 28 assists in 57 games this season.

"Shawn is a very skilled young player who was one of the top-rated players in Detroit's system," Panthers general manager and coach Jacques Martin said in a statement. "He is another high-character player who possesses great speed with a scoring touch.

"We also were able to gain draft picks. Additionally, this move also gives us flexibility in being active during the offseason when we look at acquiring free agents throughout the summer."

Meanwhile, Detroit is focused only on setting up its team to have success when the playoffs begin in April after enduring early exits in the postseason after winning the Stanley Cup in 2002.

The Red Wings are among the NHL's top teams this season, but they knew a tougher presence from their forwards would be needed in the playoffs.

"Our focus all along was to be a harder team to play against, and both Bertuzzi and Calder will help us do that," Babcock said. "There are no guarantees, but the front office led by Kenny Holland and Jim Nill has given us a better opportunity to be successful."

Even moreso, I'm not sure if this will happen, but i'd love to see Bertuzzi ruffle the feathers of Kariya and Forsberg, if those two lines ever face off.

It's a low-risk, high-reward move. Hopefully Bertuzzi can return to his pre-Moore-incident form, where he was arguably one of the top all around players in the league.

I'm still coming to grips with the fact that attempted manslaughterer (perhaps an oxymoron, but it fits in this case) Thug Bertuzzi will be donning the red & white. Maybe I'm jaded from having lived in Vancouver throughout the entire 5 or so years of the soap opera known as the Bertuzzi Saga, or maybe I'm overly influenced by the Vancouver media that never got along with the guy. But I just could never stand this guy - his pouting, his inconsistency, his failure except for one shimmering half-season to live up to his potential, his brain cramps (like his needless penalty against the Russians in the Olympics in the 3rd period of a scoreless game), the schism he and Naslund caused on the Vancouver team, etc. Ryan Smith shows more grit in one game and has more character in his pinky finger than Bertuzzi has displayed in his entire career. At his best, Bertuzzi was about the same as Keith Primeau circa 1995-1996. In his current state, I'd put him about on a par with Eric Lindros 2006-2007. The guy is lucky he has played the past 5 years in first the Pacific time zone and then the hockey backwater of south Florida. From Iain McIntyre in this morning's Vancouver Sun:

"The networks, by the way - and perhaps the Red Wings - seem to view Bertuzzi as if it were 2002, when he faced Detroit in the playoffs and was one of the best power forwards in the game. Bertuzzi has scored 43 goals the last four years, was minus-17 last season in Vancouver, and is trying to recover from a back injury serious enough to limit him to seven games and a minus four rating this season".

Well, Detroit fans who cheered the hell out of McCarty pummelling the turtling Claude Lemieux can't say a damn negative thing about Bertuzzi. Hell, I think McCarty intended to injure Lemieux a helluva lot more than Bert did Moore.

What they end up giving up is so tied to the performance of Bertuzzi and to the performance of the team that it is a great move. If he comes back healthy you have a power forward to help with the offense on the second line. He hasn't been the same player since that 2002 run as lordstanley points out.

However if he can even be a fraction of an offensive stud it is a serious upgrade to the line. With Calder, Lang, Bertuzzi I am at least somewhat confident they will have a second scoring line out there for the playoffs.

It may not work. But if it doesn't they only give up a low round pick along with Shawn Matthias.

If they reach the SCF and Bertuzzi is a part of that I don't mind giving up a 1st rounder at all.

Well, Detroit fans who cheered the hell out of McCarty pummelling the turtling Claude Lemieux can't say a damn negative thing about Bertuzzi. Hell, I think McCarty intended to injure Lemieux a helluva lot more than Bert did Moore.

Sure we can, cuz it's an unfair comparison. McCarty beat the crap out of Lemieux with his fists, a normal (albeit one-sided) fight, of which there have been thousands in the NHL's history. Bertuzzi was on the ice for one reason and one reason only in the dying seconds of that game - with the hysteria and blood-thirstiness before that game in Vancouver for days before matching that of the March 25 Wings-Avs matchup. Bertuzzi brutally cross-checked a man to an inch of his life by slamming him down into the ice from behind. What I will concede to you is that we can no longer say much about Lemieux' hit on Draper - cuz if we cheer for Bertuzzi, we're cheering for a guy whose goonery on Moore was several times dirtier and more cowardly and more serious than Lemieux' hit on Draper.

I won't defend Bertuzzi, but a). Moore's hit on Naslund was still dirty, b). he refused to fight Bertuzzi. In hockey, thats a no-no. At least Lemieux "tried" to fight, rather than skate away.

Do you really think Bertuzzi intended to break Moore's neck? Of course not. And if Moore just fought him legitimately, it would never had happened. You can't take a cheap shot on the other team's captain, then decide you won't have to face the punishment either. That sounds crazy, but thats hockey. Lemieux knew McCarty was coming for him, and while he turtled, he also actually tried to fight back and give McCarty "his due". Like I said, in real life its a crazy idea, but these are like unwritten rules in hockey.

I won't defend Bertuzzi, but a). Moore's hit on Naslund was still dirty, b). he refused to fight Bertuzzi. In hockey, thats a no-no. At least Lemieux "tried" to fight, rather than skate away.

a) Moore caught Naslund with his head down. The ref didn't call a penalty, post-game review by the league didn't result in a suspension, and Naslund himself acknowledged that it was a clean hit. It was Crawford et al's crowing aft er the game that created a circus atmosphere for the revenge game; this was a deliberate orchestrated attempt by Crawford to pull a soft team closer together. b) Moore fought Matt Cooke in the first period of the revenge game; it was an even fight with Moore coming out a winner by a slight margin.

Lemieux's hit on Draper wasn't intentional in the sense that he wanted to destroy his face, 99 times out of 100 the person checked doesn't have his face mangled.

And McCarty was stewing over his revenge for months and went right after Lemieux who turtled and McCarty proceeded to take him over to the boards and knee him in the face and attempt to bash his head off the boards. I think that is a helluva lot more malicious intent than trying to get the guy to turn around and fight you and when he wouldn't you punch him from behind when he should know full well something is coming. If Bertuzzi intended to hurt Moore why didn't he just spear him in the face?

Bertuzzi wanted to stick up for his L'il Buddy just like McCarty wanted to the only difference was the injury outcome.

And McCarty was stewing over his revenge for months and went right after Lemieux who turtled and McCarty proceeded to take him over to the boards and knee him in the face and attempt to bash his head off the boards. I think that is a helluva lot more malicious intent than trying to get the guy to turn around and fight you and when he wouldn't you punch him from behind when he should know full well something is coming. If Bertuzzi intended to hurt Moore why didn't he just spear him in the face?

Bertuzzi wanted to stick up for his L'il Buddy just like McCarty wanted to the only difference was the injury outcome.

Yeah, I think I have to agree with this.

Lemieux's hit on Draper wasn't intentional in the sense that he wanted to destroy his face, 99 times out of 100 the person checked doesn't have his face mangled.

I'll agree, also. I will add that Chris Chelios, before he came to Detroit, had done some things that were worse than Bertuzzi's hit on Moore. Once again, the only difference was the player luckily never got hurt as bad as Moore. As a Blackhawk, some of his stick attacks on Kariya were not only more malicious, but unprovoked. If we can accept Chelios as a Wing, I don't have a problem with Bertuzzi because of the Moore hit.

I'm still coming to grips with the fact that attempted manslaughterer (perhaps an oxymoron, but it fits in this case) Thug Bertuzzi will be donning the red & white. Maybe I'm jaded from having lived in Vancouver throughout the entire 5 or so years of the soap opera known as the Bertuzzi Saga, or maybe I'm overly influenced by the Vancouver media that never got along with the guy. But I just could never stand this guy - his pouting, his inconsistency, his failure except for one shimmering half-season to live up to his potential, his brain cramps (like his needless penalty against the Russians in the Olympics in the 3rd period of a scoreless game), the schism he and Naslund caused on the Vancouver team, etc. Ryan Smith shows more grit in one game and has more character in his pinky finger than Bertuzzi has displayed in his entire career. At his best, Bertuzzi was about the same as Keith Primeau circa 1995-1996. In his current state, I'd put him about on a par with Eric Lindros 2006-2007. The guy is lucky he has played the past 5 years in first the Pacific time zone and then the hockey backwater of south Florida. From Iain McIntyre in this morning's Vancouver Sun:

"The networks, by the way - and perhaps the Red Wings - seem to view Bertuzzi as if it were 2002, when he faced Detroit in the playoffs and was one of the best power forwards in the game. Bertuzzi has scored 43 goals the last four years, was minus-17 last season in Vancouver, and is trying to recover from a back injury serious enough to limit him to seven games and a minus four rating this season".

That's why Kenny only traded Matthias and conditional pick(s) for him. It's low risk.

Let's face it, if Moore didn't break his neck, we wouldn't even remember the Bertuzzi incident today. There have been a lot of dirty plays that have been forgotten over the years because an injury didn't result. Give the guy a break. It was a very dirty play, but it also happened three years ago. He served a big suspension. He did not intend to break his next. Can we all just move on?