ToledoTigerFan

Another ssip-poor Tigers marketing attempt

I don't know if anyone else has picked up this vibe from the one commercial the Tigers have been running on FSD or not, but it hits me squarely in the face like a Tyson right. It's the one where there are two guys sitting in the ballpark, probably a set but we'll call it Comerica, discussing the things the Tigers are trying to do to attract fans, such as some cheap seats, the average ticket price is less than $20, and a couple other points. After they list those things the one guy says to the other, in a very "up yours" tone of voice, "who says the Tigers don't listen to their fans, yada" and the other guy just sits there like a prop and says "yeah".

To me, that seems to be a swipe at the fans for registering legitimate complaints about the product on the field and the always-present costs associated with attending a cultural(pretend, OK) event. It's almost like they're saying your points about us are invalid and we, the fans, are stupid for not blindly supporting the product on the field. They're saying c'mon out, no matter what, all we need to do is supply baseball, any baseball, and some nice amenities.

They truly are clueless and still don't get it, do they?

I'm glad it wasn't just me then. I think I will develop a new principle of baseball economics that I'll call the "Three W" principle, we can call it three-dub for short. Those 3 W's are "We Want Wins", the only marketing ever really needed.

i like that commercial....i think that it is hilarious when mike veeck (the tigers new promotions guy) looks up at the lights and says "WOW." it cracks me up every time. :) there will most likely be some pretty crazy promotions going on this year. it should be interesting!

I think you're totally wrong TTF. The whole point of the commercial is that we've listened to you and lowered ticket prices. If you didn't get that then you shouldn't watch commercials becasue you will ALWAYS get the wrong message. I can see no other message. It is so clear. But as long as you can complain about something then I guess you're fine.

The Tigers would look pretty silly putting on goofy promotions unless they get back to being just a bad team instead of an awful team.

They better not doing anything that's associated with the minor leagues unless they plan on charging minor league prices.

Minor league talent + minor league promotions=A minor league game.

Is the guy on the right Jerry Lewis, the guy in charge of the fantasy camps?

And I think you missed TTF's message, and that was FIELD A COMPETENT TEAM PLEASE!!!!! That's like saying, "Well, we lowered the price of admission to the Detroit Zoo, but we're missing 75 percent of our animals." Who cares if they lower prices if the team stinks?

"To me, that seems to be a swipe at the fans for registering legitimate complaints about the product on the field and the always-present costs associated with attending a cultural(pretend, OK) event. It's almost like they're saying your points about us are invalid and we, the fans, are stupid for not blindly supporting the product on the field. They're saying c'mon out, no matter what, all we need to do is supply baseball, any baseball, and some nice amenities."

That's not what they're saying at all. I think they're trying to get some people down yeah but all bad teams have marketing campaigns. Nobody's trying to trick anybody. The whole point of the spot is "our ticket prices are lower. That's it.

EWE- Yeah, that was my point. Plus, it sounded insincere and BLAMED the fans for not showing up by saying "who says we aren't trying to please you, the fans". My immediate reaction was "how dare they blame the fans for poor attendance". Sure, we're staying away in droves, but the team is LOSING in droves and free hot dogs and Pepsi ain't gonna entice most fans to show up and watch a crappy team. How many people go to see a crappy movie? Same thing.

If they'd be competitve, fans would show up. Loyalty is a two-way street and the Tigers don't get that. If you(not you EWE) want to blame the fans, go right ahead, but you're clearly wrong.

But saying that that commercial says it's the fans fault is the most stupid thing I've ever heard and saying it shows your lack of ubderstanding, not the Tigers.

The commercial says "the fans wanted us to lower tickets so we did" if you think it says anything else then everything you post from here on out should be discarded because your concept of anything at all is nonexistant.

Ed, the guy has a legitimate beef and because you don't agree with it you think his points from here on out should be disregarded? Are you kidding me? The one line, "Who says the Tigers don't listen to their fans" is such a bucket of bull I don't even know where to begin. Sorry, but I never heard of a campaign by the fans to lower ticket prices. Even if there were complaints, the complaints were mainly about how the team sucks. What they are doing is totally ignoring the fact that fans hate Ilitch for how he has run this team into the ground. I hate to say it, but a lot of people are still ticked about them leaving Tigers Stadium, and they feel Ilitch is insulting their intelligence with all his bells and whistles (ferris wheel, merry-go-round). There are many reasons the fans aren't showing up anymore. They are saying it's on the fans' heads if they don't show up. It's one of the stupidest and cheeziest commercials I have ever seen.

It's one of the stupidest and cheeziest commercials I have ever see

That's something I think we all can agree on. Terrible spot.

my though on this commerical is that mike veach though he was just being funny but some people are gonna take everything the wrong way i can see it both ways but i dont think the tigers would try and piss fans off intentionaly

You're right Todd. They wouldn't piss off the fans intentionally.

BUt, the point is that they're so out of touch that they don't really know what pisses fans off. It should be their job to know.

the biggest thing about is the guy who cant stop moving his hands man the drives me up a wall.

i actually find the worst damn sports show commericals more annoying

Well, I can't find any reason to be offended by the spot, but I will agree its one of the most annoying commercials in recent memory. Those two guys are both awful actors.

It's a terrible commercial. But one of the reasons I hate it is that it's message is so frontal with no attempt at creativity. That is why I am so confused.

i don't see anything wrong with that commercial. i personally like that commercial. i think that it is hilarious, and love watching it when it is on. i also don't think that it is offensive to the fans. mike veeck is a funny guy, and the hand movements make the commercial even funnier! :)

Originally posted by Todd

the biggest thing about is the guy who cant stop moving his hands man the drives me up a wall.

i actually find the worst damn sports show commericals more annoying

I love the Best Damn Sports Show spots. The Buster Douglas Grill one is hilarious.