chasfh

Opt-In No No!!

So I'm buying tickets for a Philadelphia Phillies game at their website, and when you do so you have to register on their site, using your email address as user name and creating a password. And down the page a bit you see the opt-in statement stipulating that you agree to accept emails from the Phillies, Major League Baseball and their partners, and the checkbox next to it is pre-checked. You can debate the efficacy of pre-checks, but that's not what's interesting in this scenario. This is: I noticed the check mark inside the box looks dark gray and not black. So I tried to uncheck the box -- and it would not let me! The Philadelphia Phillies disabled the ability to uncheck the email opt-in box, essentially forcing ticket buyers' consent to opt into their email list!

And here's a bonus no-no: when you put in your credit card number, you see an unchecked box with the statement "Save credit card info". So I left that unchecked, for obvious reasons. But after I closed the window on that first transaction and I went back later to buy tickets for another game, and I got to that same page, my credit card information was pre-populated in the fields, even though I specifically refused to consent to them keeping it on file!

If you're a marketer, I hope you have at least a squishy feeling in your stomach about the tactic, if not disgust. Intellectually, it's easy to recognize this as a bad tactic. Yet some marketer working for the Phillies thought this was a good idea. Maybe the marketer is inexperienced and thought he was pulling a clever move; or maybe he didn't want to do it but was strong-armed into the tactic by a non-marketing-savvy boss. In any event, this is a terrible way to gain "consent", and I'm not saying this because I'm Mr. Goody Two Shoes. I know viscerally that it's bad because I was the customer in this situation, and as a customer I felt violated. So you can probably guess how much merchandise I'm going to be buying from the Philadelphia Phillies and Major League baseball this year.

Maybe it was a technical mistake and not a marketing mistake? I've been around enough IT guys to know that they try to make business decisions all the time and thankfully for me as an IT/business laisson, they make the wrong decisions.

It may be your browser saving your credit card information and automatically filling it in when you reach the identical page...

It may be your browser saving your credit card information and automatically filling it in when you reach the identical page...

Yeah - try clearing the cache, cookies and so on and running it again.

Having said that it could be remembering your IP address. Does it work from a different computer?

Ian

And make sure you include your credit card # in the email so that they know it's you :)

And make sure you include your credit card # in the email so that they know it's you :)

and CC: me so I know it went through. :silly:

This is one thing I'm scared of when I eventually set one of my websites up for online ordering of flowers and such.

This is the most likely scenario.

That is pretty pathetic if that is a conscious act. I could believe it, too. I would give an email address, if possible, that you rarely use. You can create a seemingly endless amount of Yahoo accounts which allow for email. I am an impulsive email checker, and like just a happy medium of email. Too bad that's not the case. Some of the junk email is filtered into the spam folder, but not most of it. Oh, and your browser may be saving the info. I think some pages allow for this, while others don't. I don't see why that is so unlikely. I can't remember the exact sites by heart, but I do believe I've seen credit card info saved on sites.

This is the most likely scenario.

I don't think this is the case. I never cases of form fields filling in automatically when I go to other sites, and I'm online a whole lot. the only time I see it is when I'm checking out with a site I'm already registered with and they're pre-populating the fields from the server. I'm pretty sure that's what's happening here.