I'm still waiting to find out if the merger is going through. I do hope it does. I want to hear the Celtics! The NBA online audio is way overpriced. I've been reading the play by play online for over 5 years. I would love to be able to listen to the call instead.

I've had the Inno for over four months now. I just ponied up and bought the antenna headphone set from Belkin so I could listen to it more when I am walking around campus or just strolling in the neighborhood, and this thing is beautiful.

I can't wait to take this thing out to the ballparks this summer.

My new G6 has xm in it and I have been listening to the it on the trial for a little over 2 months now and am loving it. Got a thing in the mail yesterday on an offer to get it for 6 something a month for 3 months that I am considering doing.

I hope the merger happens (and signs seem to indicate it will). I will be able to pick up my college's football games and baseball games, which will be cool. I got a SkyFi2 a year and a half ago, and I can't listen to regular radio anymore (mainly because Baltimore stations stink). Plus, I get traffic updates without having to wait for it to come up.

I've been debating, though, on whether to go with a car-only system for a while (since there is more interference now with people owning other car audio devices that use FM frequencies). I think with my car I have to buy a separate XM piece to go with a new radio. Does anyone have any recommendations? Is anyone waiting to see if/when the merger happens if there will be new systems put out?

Bump....became really interested in XM after driving for a few days in a car equipped with it. And now the Sirius/XM merger has been approved. So I wonder if it would be wise to jump in now or wait till things get sorted out. Will my equipment be useless in a few months if I buy now? Side issue....I'm looking all around my dashboard and the thing is so cluttered as it is I can't see where the h*ll they would install the thing. Is the visor an option?

Has anyone else been having their signal go in and out more than usual the last couple weeks? I'm not sure if I may be having an equipment issue or if there has been an unusual amount of interference in the satalite signal.

Has anyone else been having their signal go in and out more than usual the last couple weeks? I'm not sure if I may be having an equipment issue or if there has been an unusual amount of interference in the satalite signal.

I have on SIrius. I have only had it for 2 months so I have figured this might be how it is.

Do you think the commies are jamming us?

One thing with these radios is the mounting pretty much sucks. You can glue it on, use one of your vents, windshield mount too I believe. The best way to mount them is to go after market and install an mount kit. The xm mount is a joke.

XM mounting

or

XM mounting

Another thing the xm modulator makes it sound like garbage. I use the supplied cassette tape adapter and it sounds ten times better. A direct tap to the radio would be the best but more money.

I had a similar problem at one time and I went to the XM website, there is a corrective action where the satelitte will "re-beam" the signal to your XM unit. After I did this I have not had a problem since.

Good luck

Bump....became really interested in XM after driving for a few days in a car equipped with it. And now the Sirius/XM merger has been approved. So I wonder if it would be wise to jump in now or wait till things get sorted out. Will my equipment be useless in a few months if I buy now? Side issue....I'm looking all around my dashboard and the thing is so cluttered as it is I can't see where the h*ll they would install the thing. Is the visor an option?

I personally would wait on things, unless you can find a great deal on a radio. Many businesses and organizations, such as MLB, have deals where they give out radios for little or no money. I got mine for free. I've also seen them for as little as $15. It is very likely that new radios will need to be purchased for the merger, especially if you want to get programming that is split between XM and Sirius now. If you can get a cheap radio, it's worth it for the time being, but don't spend $50+ for a radio that you might only use for 6 months.

As for the mounting, I've got it hooked into a vent. I think it's a good way of doing it. I wouldn't want to glue anything to my dashboard.

No. Mine has been fine. I would suggest trying the reactivation thing that FireUpChips suggested.

Thanks for the feedback. I visited Best Buy today and they suggested a mount that would be attached through a seam in the dash....between the console and glovebox. Later I wondered where all the wires would go....it's a thin seam after all. I haven't cared for any of the vent mounts I've seen and I don't want hole drilling because I'll be trading in the auto in a couple of years (or less). There's a pic of what I had in mind here: http://www.redclock.com/johndunne/xm/top_photo_big.jpg

Waiting might be the smart thing to do but at the same time I'm not feeling too patient. I was late to the game with PVRs and after I owned one I wondered how I got along without 'em (now I have two.) I drive about 15K a year so I'm in my car a good bit and the programming I heard on XM was very cool.

Thanks for the feedback. I visited Best Buy today and they suggested a mount that would be attached through a seam in the dash....between the console and glovebox. Later I wondered where all the wires would go....it's a thin seam after all. I haven't cared for any of the vent mounts I've seen and I don't want hole drilling because I'll be trading in the auto in a couple of years (or less). There's a pic of what I had in mind here: http://www.redclock.com/johndunne/xm/top_photo_big.jpg

Waiting might be the smart thing to do but at the same time I'm not feeling too patient. I was late to the game with PVRs and after I owned one I wondered how I got along without 'em (now I have two.) I drive about 15K a year so I'm in my car a good bit and the programming I heard on XM was very cool.

Question: How much does all this cost (including time) versus getting a deck that has the satellite capability built in? My new car has it that way - real nice.

Question: How much does all this cost (including time) versus getting a deck that has the satellite capability built in? My new car has it that way - real nice.

Yeah I thought about getting an upgraded head unit but the receiver that came with my wagon is pretty much built in and integrated into the console. I would have liked to have gone with that option so that I could also get MP3 capability (though certain XM units have that capability too). Best Buy charges $79 for installation and then there's $30 for the FM modulator (I think that's what they call it....hard wire connection from the XM receiver to the car's sound system). And, of course, you need to get your XM receiver and that is as cheap as nuthin from what I've read to $200+. I'm a bit handy with electronics but all this stuff makes me squeamish to install myself.

We got ours for 3 months with our new car, let it expire, then got a coupon for $20 for 4 months. With a trip to TN in the works we signed up. It made the ride so much better. I love listening to classic country while driving long distances. What's interesting is while listening to the 80s station we heard "Buffalo Stance" twice. I don't think I heard it twice inthe last 18 years.

Personally I'd wait for the dust to settle now that the merger has recieved the blessing from the FCC. I have XM (an old skyfi2 portable in my car) my wife's new van came with Sirrus. I like Sirrus' choice of music channels better, (but the new Kenny Chesney channel on XM isn't bad). For now I'd check into a cheap portable (maybe thru e-bay) if you really want one.

(In the long run, I am still placing my money on internet radio, especially if the new Chryslers come thru with their plan to put wifi in vehicles in the next couple of years)

Personally I'd wait for the dust to settle now that the merger has recieved the blessing from the FCC.

This is the correct answer.

XM has only promised customers that their old radios will be able to tune into the same channels they've always had, post-merger. There may be some effort to simulcast, but the bottom line is that to hear the full lineup of post-merger channels you will likely need a new radio.

Question is....when will the dust settle? 6 months? A year? More?

BTW, I caught this blurb on Huffington Post:

'Subscribers will not have to buy new radios to receive a mix of programming from both services, according to the companies. But if they want to pursue a special pay-per-channel a la carte option, they will need new sets.'

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/07/26/fcc-approves-sirius-xm-me_n_115093.html

Question is....when will the dust settle? 6 months? A year? More?

BTW, I caught this blurb on Huffington Post:

'Subscribers will not have to buy new radios to receive a mix of programming from both services, according to the companies. But if they want to pursue a special pay-per-channel a la carte option, they will need new sets.'

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/07/26/fcc-approves-sirius-xm-me_n_115093.html

Knowing Mel Karmazon (Infinity, CBS,etc), I would imagine it would be within the next quarter. It may take up to a year to get all the technologh straightened out. If you are planning on trading in your car in a year or so, wait or get a cheap portable.

Now an even wider audience will discover that Jimmy Norton is the funniest man on radio. Nobody that Sirius has can compare.

One of the major concessions the FCC got from the companies was that they would not increase their existing $12.95 monthly subscription prices for at least three years, nor reduce the number of channels in those packages.

But Sirius and XM customers, who have gotten used to simplicity (both companies offered only one package at the identical $12.95 price) now will have a somewhat confusing array of other choices.

With three months, Sirius XM must ....

... allow customers to choose whatever channels they want -- the a la carte offering mentioned above -- and introduce a radio capable of allowing them to do that.

There will be two a la carte offerings.

One for $6.99 a month will allow you to choose 50 Sirius channels from a subset of 100 Sirius channels (Sirius has more than 130); or 50 XM channels from a subset of 100 XM channels (XM has more than 170).

The other, for $14.99 a month, will allow you to pick 100 channels, with Sirius customers able to select from a company-determined "best of" XM's channels, and XM customers allowed to select from the "best of" Sirius channels.

Those programming selections haven't been released, but it's a good bet they'll include some exclusive content, such as XM's Major League Baseball broadcasts and channels featuring Oprah Winfrey and Bob Dylan. They likely will also include Sirius' National Football League broadcasts, NASCAR coverage and Howard Stern channels (he's so popular, he has two).

But for those options you'll need to buy a new radio that is capable of receiving individualized channel packages.

For customers who don't want to buy a new radio, there will be several other packages available within three months.

For $9.99 a month, customers will be able to choose either a "mostly music" package or a "news sports and talk" package. For $16.99, Sirius customers will get all their existing channels, plus the best of XM, and vice versa for XM customers. And finally, in a concession to FCC Chairman Kevin J. Martin, the companies agreed to offer a family-friendly version of Sirius or XM channels (presumably without Stern or Opie & Anthony) for $11.95 a month. There will also be a family-friendly "best of" offering that will cost $14.99.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/technology/2008/07/sirius-xm-radio.html

It's still unclear to me what package I'll end up with. I'll want MLB, NFL, NBA, Top Tracks, Deep Tracks, the Tom Petty show, America Left, POTUS 08 (the election might be over by this time though), maybe XMPR, and maybe the simulcasts of the news channels. I don't know how the traffic and weather channels will work with the new plans. It's not like I sit around and listen to them, but they're handy on trips and I like to check the temperature reading on the display. I'm not familiar with what's on Sirius aside from sports, so I don't know what I'd want from there.

If they do the select 50 thing, I wonder if NFL and NBA channels will take up a huge amount of channels, or if they will work out a way where you can select those without using up all your channels.

Now an even wider audience will discover that Jimmy Norton is the funniest man on radio. Nobody that Sirius has can compare.

I'm glad I've known that for years.

and the most twisted

Now an even wider audience will discover that Ron Bennington is the funniest man on radio. Nobody that Sirius has can compare.

I fixed that for you, Hong. :)

I love Lil' Jimmy, but Ronnie B. kills me everyday from 12 to 3 on the Ron and Fez show.