Sign in to follow this  
dt35456884

Help Needed: Historic Tiger Photos

I'm having a hell of a time finding quality pictures of some of our past Tigers. It's getting very difficult with a number of these players. I'm putting out a call for anybody who can find, scan, host, or otherwise help with finding old pictures for our Hall of Fame project.

I've got some old cards... T-206 Stanage, T-204 Ramly Cigarette card of Matty McIntyre, plus some other stuff, a 1936 glossy premium of the Tigers team - 1934 AL Champs... but I don't know how to get them loaded onto here.

I can scan them...

The Ramly card of McIntyre is excellent...

I've got some old cards... T-206 Stanage, T-204 Ramly Cigarette card of Matty McIntyre, plus some other stuff, a 1936 glossy premium of the Tigers team - 1934 AL Champs... but I don't know how to get them loaded onto here.

I can scan them...

The Ramly card of McIntyre is excellent...

You can start up a Photobucket account or a flickr account (photobucket.com or flickr.com) for free, Upload them onto the account and use the URL to the picture to post here or use a link.

I have some pictures in books, but isn't that violating the copyright if I scan them?

I am guessing it probably would be, but I am sure one of the moderators can answer that question better than I could. I am not sure what is allowed and what isn't. I know reports for school, etc was okay, and this isn't going to be a for profit deal unless some of the big dreams around here come to fruition (ie that museum). This is "public use." Mods?

My guess would be that baseball cards would be best.

That would be copyright infringment but they would have to fight it out with us that we are not using them for commercial gain.

I would say trying to find pictures that are on the net already are the safest.

00120r.jpg

These old Spalding Guides are a fun read, and the old-style montages and team photos are awesome! There are also higher quality TIFF versions of each page, but on my dialup I'm sticking with these low-res versions. My fellow dial-uppers probably appreciate this as well !!!!!!!

Herman Polycarp Pillette

Hermpillette.jpg

From Baseball-Refence.com:

Herman Pillette holds the Pacific Coast League record for games pitched (704) in a career; he also spent a record 23 years in the PCL. He was 264-264 in the minors. Overall he was a pro for 29 years.

dt, why do you have Scott Carpenter as your avatar?

Great catch. I didn't think anybody would recognize him.

I just watched a new special on the Mercury program this weekend on NASA TV. They are commemorating the 45th anniversary of John Glenn's orbital mission. Just great stuff. The highlight was new interviews with the surviving Mercury astronauts: Carpenter, Glenn, and Wally Schirra. These interviews are also on NASA's website right now.

I like Carpenter. His Mercury 7 flight was significant, pioneering, and successful, if a little harrowing at the end. And despite being unfairly railroaded by a vindictive egomaniac like Chris Kraft over the years, Carpenter is a hero in my book.

I know a bit about the Mercury program. As a kid I watched The Right Stuff all the time and would read encyclopedias and books. I will watch those specials tonight on the website.

DId you see the special edition of hte movie? There's a documentary on the real guys. I agree with your assessment on Carpenter.

I haven't seen The Right Stuff yet. I should give it a watch. I've heard it gives a none too flattering portrayal of Gus Grissom.

wow, you have not seen it? Very good performances by Dennis Quaid, Ed Harris, Sam Shepard. I'd highly recommend it.

Yeah they sort of give the impression that he was at fault for the hatch. Wally Shirra put that to rest because he tried to open the hatch with his glove on and it opened a gash on his hand.

The movie focuses on Chuck Yaeger and the first 3 flights. Wally Shirra is barely seen and Carpenter is only there to act as Glenn's waterboy. But it's still a great movie. One of my top 5 favorites.

The book is a good read too. You can get through it very quick.

You can start up a Photobucket account or a flickr account (photobucket.com or flickr.com) for free, Upload them onto the account and use the URL to the picture to post here or use a link.

Thanks Wendy...

I'm working on this...

Pillette's photo disappeared already? I guess baseball-reference didn't like me being lazy and linking to it, instead of doing the download/upload thing?

Well, lesson learned I guess. I see DT managed to save it and repost to the 1925 HOF list, so good save buddy.

And here's a 1916 team photo of "Jennings' Junglemen", from the 1917 Guide:

Looks like they said fu to Cobb in this pic, "don't want you near us a-....", and photo-shopped him into the background.... :grin: