hueytaxi

2007 Lakeland Spring Training

Keep posting the Detroit pix please. Here are a few from today. Wonderful to see the Olde D on the fields again even though most had the good sense to keep their jackets on today. It was cold for Fl and colder tomorrow. If today was an indication of fan interest, tomorrow will be SRO. I'm only going to post a few pictures as a test and then a link to almost everything I took today. If you click the link to Flickr and find the "view as a slide show" button, hopefully you can feel a little like you were there today.

Fr1..Brent Clevlen

392301970_8dc6e84628.jpg

Fr2.. Is Maybin always in a good mood?

392290903_a734d18da0.jpg

Fr3.. If you don't know this kid by now, why are you here?

392291048_c9779253cf.jpg

Fr4.. I always liked a Rollercoaster

392291162_16846b3d5a.jpg

Fr5.. Mr. Horton was COLD

392291212_667d9ce46b.jpg

Fr6.. Jair Jurjjens

392291291_c434ee492d.jpg

Fr7.. The Skipper was also glad to get out of the cold wind today

392291430_6be71674d5.jpg

Fr8.. DD/EZ

392290840_8a0db833b5.jpg

The rest of the day: http://www.flickr.com/photos/hueytaxi/sets/72157594539508346/

Mr. Maybin has braces. To answer your question I have never seen a picture where Maybin wasn't smiling....

Roger I can't thank you enough for sharing these photographs with the board. They are great.

I wonder what that's about. He didn't look like he really needed braces.

I wish I was higher in the adopt-a-Tiger draft this year to have the opportunity to pick Carlos - by far my favorite Tiger!

Think it is just Grills

I don't think so.... I think those are braces.

I would say Curtis bulked up a bit this off season. This is a good thing. He was skinny as a toothpick last year.

Yeah we talked a bit about that in the other thread. I hope its a good thing we will see.

Tigs-21.jpg

I would say Curtis bulked up a bit this off season. This is a good thing. He was skinny as a toothpick last year.

Curtis is talking with Jerry Murphy, my local source of Tiger Trivia. I think Jerry could tell you who the bat boy was on the 1952 Tigers Team. In my opinion, our best local fan of the Tigers and an outstanding man.

Mr. Maybin has braces. To answer your question I have never seen a picture where Maybin wasn't smiling....

Roger I can't thank you enough for sharing these photographs with the board. They are great.

I have many pictures of him not smiling. He is very serious when he is on deck, up to bat, etc.

4-27-06CameronMaybinondeck.jpg

I have many pictures of him not smiling. He is very serious when he is on deck, up to bat, etc.

I was talking about non-playing situations but yah I have noticed he is focused on the field. It wasn't meant at all as a criticism. I like that he seems happy. He should be. He is an amazing athlete playing a game for a living.

I'll also post the Lakeland Ledger info here. Shame the Freep and Detroit News overshadows local coverage. (oops, forgot the link for MTWG:

http://www.theledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070216/NEWS/702160426/1362/SPORTS21 )

Published Friday, February 16, 2007

RITE OF SPRING

Tigers Cope With High Expectations

Defending American League champions carry renewed interest into Tigertown.

By Mike Cobb

The Ledger

LAKELAND

One thing the Detroit Tigers won't have to face this spring is the annual question about whether this will be the year they stop their string of losing seasons. They took care of that last year with a 95-67 season and an American League pennant, halting their streak of losing seasons at 12. This year, they face a different challenge: heightened expectations, especially from the outside. After making a 24-game improvement in their first season under manager Jim Leyland, who was named the AL's Manager of the Year, the Tigers return virtually their entire team from last year and enter the spring as one of the favorites to win the AL title.

bilde?Site=LL&Date=20070216&Category=NEWS&ArtNo=702160426&Ref=AR&MaxW=250

MICHAEL WILSON/THE LEDGER

Detroit Tigers minor league pitching coordinator Jon Matlack observes Thursday's workout in Lakeland.

That means there will be a different feel and a different atmosphere this spring.

"I know it's going to be a lot different as far as the expectations from fans, and the media attention's going to be a lot more," pitcher Mike Maroth said Thursday, the day pitchers and catchers reported to camp.

In other words, the Tigers are now on the map of spring training stops for fans and media.

"Every year when we've come in (in the past), we've pretty much just been a team," Maroth said. "Now we're a team that's actually a good team and people know that. They're not going to overlook us."

From the players' standpoint, preparing for the season will be much the same. The routines will be the same and the goal will be the same as it is in every camp - to win a championship.

"The biggest difference (this year) is that we as a team were trying to establish an identity at this time last year," pitcher Nate Robertson said. "This year, we have that identity. It's a different mind-set.

"Knowing what kind of team you have and what you can do is a big deal going into the season."

bilde?Site=LL&Date=20070216&Category=NEWS&ArtNo=702160426&Ref=V2&MaxW=210

MICHAEL WILSON/THE LEDGER

Detroit Tigers' pitcher Andrew Miller throws during an informal workout at Tigertown in Lakeland on Thursday afterpitchers and catchers reported for spring training.

A year ago, the Tigers were confident they could win, said pitcher Justin Verlander, who was named the AL Rookie of the Year.

"I know inside this clubhouse last year, we believed we could win," Verlander said. "I think now there are more people outside the clubhouse that think we can."

The Tigers come to camp with very few questions. One involves Maroth, who missed most of the second half of the season and all of the postseason after having surgery on his elbow.

Maroth, slated to be the team's fifth starter, says he's 100percent and has no questions about being ready to pitch, but he understands he still has to show it this spring.

"I'm coming back from surgery; the first thing they want to see is if I'm healthy," he said Thursday. "I won't go in trying to overdo it. The only thing I need to prove is that I'm healthy."

The Tigers will also welcome designated hitter Gary Sheffield, who was acquired in a trade from the New York Yankees, reuniting him with Tigers manager Leyland. Sheffield was a member of the 1997 Florida Marlins team, managed by Leyland, that won the World Series.

While pitchers and catchers reported in Thursday morning and afternoon, Leyland wasn't scheduled to arrive until Thursday evening.

Pitchers and catchers will hold their first official workout this morning at Tigertown. The workout is scheduled to begin about 9:30 a.m. The first full-squad workout is Wednesday.

I was talking about non-playing situations but yah I have noticed he is focused on the field. It wasn't meant at all as a criticism. I like that he seems happy. He should be. He is an amazing athlete playing a game for a living.

I know you weren't being critical. You are right. He is happy. I have never seen him unhappy or ornery..........well, let me take that back. When he was kept from playing while having the trigger finger problem, he had a look of definitely longing to be out in centerfield

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e249/whitecapwendy/2006%20Whitecaps%20May/5-25-06CameronMaybin.jpg

Same here, Wendy watched him for a season and I only for St and Il. When on the field and a ball about to be put in play, absolute focus. Between plays he is animated with the outfield or SS/2B. Given moments like today with nothing organized, the kid shows through. You have to like him when you watch him. Somehow with all the antics I think he will provide motivation for others.

I swear Carlos Guillen always looks like he has the weight of the world on his shoulders...

We need a great season out of him at SS with way fewer errors. I think he's up for it!

Tigs-21.jpg

Its hard to tell when looking at this picture of him in the jersey since they are baggy... but based on my memory and looking at both photo's I would say he gained 10-15 poinds of muscle....

heroes.jpg