beek_27

2007 All-Time Adopt-A-Tiger Selection Thread!!!

Now that it's a free-for-all, i'm going to take the greatest name in Detroit Tigers history.

Lil Stoner

-------

Played with the Tigers from 1922-1929 amassing a 50-58 record with a lgERA of 4.15.

Hughie Jennings

Hugh Ambrose Jennings (April 2, 1869 – February 1, 1928) was an American baseball player and manager in Major League Baseball. Known for his humorous personality as manager, his shouts of "Ee-Yah" made him a favorite of the fans and his team. Jennings led the Detroit Tigers to three consecutive World Series appearances.

Michael Thomas Heath was born on February 5 (my birthday) in 1955. He was drafted by the evil New York Yankees in the 2nd round of the 1973 MLB amateur draft. He was a catcher for the Detroit Tigers from 1986-1990. His career spanned 14 years (New York, Oakland, St. Louis, Detroit, Atlanta). He played 1083 games at catcher with a career fielding percentage of .981. He really wasn't very good, but I liked him anyway.

Paul Carey, the other voice of the Tigers when I was growing up. I loved listening to him as much as I loved listening to Ernie.

-----

Consistency, thou art a jewel, goes an old saying, and Paul Carey was consistent. Like your favorite old sweatshirt: there when you need it, a perfect fit, made you feel great. His powerful voice, often dubbed by enthusiastic sportswriters as “the voice of God” (think Barry White calling a baseball game) rattled the speakers of car radios and transistor portables and tube Trans-Oceanics, season after season. Yet he never drew attention to himself by calling a Kirk Gibson blast “Gibsonian” or shreiking “Ball game over! Tigers win! Thaaaa Tigers WIN!”

For years, the Tigers were the only team whose radio announcers worked without an engineer. Paul Carey produced the broadcasts. He set up the mikes and mixing board, checked levels, tore everything down while on the road and set it up at the next stop, and kept track of the out-of-town scores. His was the voice board operators listening in cue mode at the Tigers’ radio network affiliates heard during rain delays, letting them know when play might resume, and counting down the minutes until the start of another broadcast: “Starting in five minutes . . . five . . . four . . . three . . . two . . . one . . . WOOF.” (First time I’d heard anyone cue the network with “woof.”)

(Source: http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/35625/the_detroit_tigers_paul_carey_baseballs.html)

I think I'm going to choose someone from the 1800's if that is legal. Sorry I'm bring all these posts to the top but I haven't done this yet. I really want to choose Charlie Bennett. He was a catcher for the Detroit Wolverines, which was the first name of the Tigers. I was a catcher on my high school team and wanted to choose one of the oldest catchers I could find

Charlie was born Nov 21 1854. He was the catcher for Detroit from 1881-1888. He had a career average of .256. He had 978 total hits and 325 of them were for extra bases.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/b/bennech01.shtml

200px-Charlie_Bennett_Baseball_Card.jpg

I pick Jim Walewander if noone else did. He was my favorite as a kid, somewhere I even have his jersey, name armpit to armpit. Also, he was the Jim Leyland of his time as far as quotable quotes to the press. One that sticks out in my mind is "the biggest difference between the minor and major leagues is less bugs in my apartment."

Sparks4Ever selects 2001 Tiger of the Year, and without question, a future hall of famer, knuckleballer Steve Sparks!!!

a_sparks_i.jpg

Nobody selecting Denny McLain? I'll take Denny then!

Courtesy of the Detroit News:

"1968 was The Year of the Tiger in China, The Year of the Tiger in baseball and clearly the year of Tiger Denny McLain. The 24-year-old right-hander won 31 of 36 games -- Detroit's first and only 30-game winner, the major league's biggest winner in 37 years and the major's first 30-game winner since Dizzy Dean in 1934.

The 24-year-old right-hander won 31 of 36 games -- Detroit's first and only 30-game winner, the major league's biggest winner in 37 years and the major's first 30-game winner since Dizzy Dean in 1934. He won the Cy Young award, the Most Valuable Player Award and The Sporting News Pitcher of the Year and Player of the Year Awards."

With my Free For All Pick, I select Mike Weinberg.

Weinberg was a minor leaguer in the Tigers organization from 1990-1992 with the Niagara Falls Rapids and the Fayette Generals. He was killed at the World Trade Center while serving for Engine 1 of the NYFD.

Link to picture: http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.september11victims.com/september11victims/images/Victims/2762.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.september11victims.com/september11victims/VictimInfo.asp%3FID%3D2762&h=512&w=407&sz=25&hl=en&start=1&um=1&tbnid=v9fTvoRbzGUnVM:&tbnh=131&tbnw=104&prev=/images%3Fq%3DMike%2BWeinberg%2B-%2BBAseball%26svnum%3D10%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26rls%3DADBS,ADBS:2006-47,ADBS:en%26sa%3DN

Edit: I really don't care that he didn't make it to the majors, but I thought it was a nice tribute.

Bump. This still appears to be a "free-for-all", per BST's question. You really can't "redraft" annually for the "all-time" AAT, if I'm understanding the concept correctly?

Besides, I want to keep Pete Fox! :classic:

Well, to an extent I agree with you Yoop, although it does say on the first page:

"Once you've selected your All-Time Tiger, you've officially adopted him through 2007." and I do have this feeling that in the set up thread someone said something about redrafting each year. There's also, I suppose, the question of the newer Tigers who will move on or retire and will, therefore, be eligible for the All Time draft. I'm sure someone will want to take Chad Durbin, for example...

But, whatever. I wouldn't change my selection anyways and I really can't see anyone else wanting Al Shaw...

Well, to an extent I agree with you Yoop, although it does say on the first page:

"Once you've selected your All-Time Tiger, you've officially adopted him through 2007." and I do have this feeling that in the set up thread someone said something about redrafting each year. There's also, I suppose, the question of the newer Tigers who will move on or retire and will, therefore, be eligible for the All Time draft. I'm sure someone will want to take Chad Durbin, for example...

But, whatever. I wouldn't change my selection anyways and I really can't see anyone else wanting Al Shaw...

We are now hoping that if you know info about him beyond his numbers and birth place, that you will introduce us to your Al Shaw :classic:

We are now hoping that if you know info about him beyond his numbers and birth place, that you will introduce us to your Al Shaw :classic:

I think it's all on page 3 or 4 - I'll link back to it if I can manage to do that...

This might be a better link into the right place in the thread rather than the single post: http://www.motownsports.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1018620#post1018620

I believe it came just after a spot of soft tossing...

Good catch Ian. You mean I have to read stuff in here now ?? :classic:

BUMP

Didn't see another thread on this for 2008 or 2009, so I'll just use this one to officially pick Charlie "Paw Paw" Maxwell, who was my dad's favorite player.

I need to do the same thing as djhutch. Didnt see and update and im trying to get involved in the Adopt a Tiger fun. Would it be possible for me to adopt Todd Jones?

Todd Jones threw the last pitch at Tiger Stadium and is the all time leader in saves for the Detroit Tigers.