hueytaxi

Pre Spring Training 07, photo intensive

Nice pictures, very encouraging to see this kind of turnout at this time of the year. I think there is a fire in alot of these guys to to finish what began last year and I think that they will prove all the doubters who talk about a "hangover" wrong.

Jim Leyland promised the Tiger fans at the banquet in GR last month that there would be no post championship hangover. (if last seasons tongue-lashing is any example--if anyone can make sure that is accomplished, it would be :smoker: )

There were some minor leaguers who have been there the entire off season.

Minor leaguers I can see as they've still got something to prove. Don't get me wrong, Bondo, Verlander, and Zumaya still have some to prove as well, but they're still there plenty early working out.

Minor leaguers I can see as they've still got something to prove. Don't get me wrong, Bondo, Verlander, and Zumaya still have some to prove as well, but they're still there plenty early working out.

true, but keep in mind that while the major leaguers have made it, they have 150-200 guys who would love to take their jobs away from them. The three guys you mentioned are pitchers--what position do we have the most depth?

Mostly, I think these guys get antsy to get the season started--just like us fans. (especially the younger players who are still "in awe" of being in the major leagues--I think Bondo still fits in that category)

I doubt Bonderman is still in awe of being in the majors. He has 4 seasons under belt.

I don't think any of those guys have anything to worry about losing their jobs. I doubt they really worry about it. Especially Bonderman with his contract signed.

They are just there because Florida is a good place to be this time of year and they want to get in and work to get back to where they were last season. Besides its probably fun to work out and go play golf in the afternoon before the boss gets into town.

The Tigers probably have the best facility in FL though, especially with all of the dorms. Players can easily come early and not have to worry about where they're going to stay.

I was under the impression that the dorms were just for the minor leaguers and for guys that are single on the team. I had heard (from a reliable source) that if a player is on the 40 (could be the 25) man roster or he was married/has a family they had to find their own place to stay during Spring Training. They may be able to stay in the dorms until the official report date but that's not how I understood it.

Thanks for the pictures Huey! They're awesome!

I was under the impression that the dorms were just for the minor leaguers and for guys that are single on the team. I had heard (from a reliable source) that if a player is on the 40 (could be the 25) man roster or he was married/has a family they had to find their own place to stay during Spring Training. They may be able to stay in the dorms until the official report date but that's not how I understood it.

Thanks for the pictures Huey! They're awesome!

Whether that is accurate, it is pretty much true. The MLB guys do not do the dorm thing. Most of the minor league guys try to team up and get a place "off campus". This doesn't help the Tiger's trying to turn a profit on housing. One of the reasons we do not promote host families.

The Tigers probably have the best facility in FL though, especially with all of the dorms. Players can easily come early and not have to worry about where they're going to stay.

Pirate City, in Bradenton, seems to have pretty much the same setup although their minor league fields, batting cages, cafeteria and dorms are about 5 miles away from the major league ballpark.

Awesome pics. Thanks Huey.

Yeah, Verlander needs to run. When I saw him at the EMU caravan, he had a mini-beergut and looked like he'd been eating Thanksgiving dinner for three weeks.

Maybe Bondo can get a tan.

Aw man, Huey, thanks for posting these. Like water to a freakin' dyin' plant. Or a plant slowly freezing to death as all the heat leeches out of cheap student apartment windows, you know, whatever, I HOPE YOU'RE HAVING FUN DOWN THERE WITH FLORIDA AND BASEBALL AND PHOTO OPS AND AND.

:P

Great pics Huey, I can't even put into words how envious of you I am.

It's nice to see some of the guys out there early, too.

Thanks Roger, you are the man! I know when I see these pictures from you that Baseball is right around the corner. It helps me deal with -15.

Just got back from a beautiful day at Tigertown. ID'd one of the unknown big bald guys as Craig Dingman. Got to talk briefly with Chris Homer, Justin and explain our AAT to Matt Rusch. Also picked up a used helmet worn by on of the #2's in our system. Took very few pix today as most of the activity was on the far side of the field, looking into the sun and much shorter session today. Sally, I met your friends.

My 06AAT Jordan Tata in a shirt I want:

381912132_71d3a61c8d.jpg

381911999_8e3fe7c923.jpg

And the local weather...today a high of about 66 after a low of 46 and partly cloudy.

Wednesday is forecast as Sunny, high of 73 after an overnight low of 55. Chance of showers and cooler the rest of the week.

Just got back from a beautiful day at Tigertown. ID'd one of the unknown big bald guys as Craig Dingman. Got to talk briefly with Chris Homer, Justin and explain our AAT to Matt Rusch. Also picked up a used helmet worn by on of the #2's in our system. Took very few pix today as most of the activity was on the far side of the field, looking into the sun and much shorter session today. Sally, I met your friends.

So Fred & Jo finally tracked you down, huh? They are as anxious as all of us for action to begin...has been a dream of Fred's for a long time...Big Tiger Fans...at all levels! Sunshine? :cool: What's that?! Still about 10 deg....:cry:

So Fred & Jo finally tracked you down, huh? They are as anxious as all of us for action to begin...has been a dream of Fred's for a long time...Big Tiger Fans...at all levels! Sunshine? :cool: What's that?! Still about 10 deg....:cry:
Good people, as expected with your recommendation. We spent a couple of hours together today.

Once again nice pics Roger, makes feel bad I have to work during the day, would love to be down there sometime when I have off.

Would have liked to post more, but actually they were so far away and into the sun, it just wasn't practicle; and you've already seen them walking by toward weight training. Verlander is now sporting a Fla tag on his new black Porsche Turbo; no "Bringing it".

Thank you, he was talking "at" me with out me being able to hear what he was saying. I thought I should recognize him and was embarrassed I did not.

Well, this is probably the first time Campusano has been to Lakeland, so there was no way you would have seen him before.

In fact, pictures of him online aren't all that easy to find.

Another wonderful day at Tigertown with t-shirt weather and a lot of sun. Yoda and several Tiger fans joined me and then Yoda and I drank lunch at Applebee's. Nice to see old friends on the field and outside the fence. Added a couple names to the original pictures. Also found Ed Clelland headed for the training room. They are only using the field from about 10 AM until 11:30 and then using the weight or training rooms until about Noon.

So now I can add a few pix from today....Yoda may have taken some of these, probably the better ones.

1. Zumaya 200 yds away:

383036857_a944f63565.jpg

2. Workout

383030988_3070fc6195.jpg

3. Sleeth and Bonderman

383031080_19b1621b10.jpg

4. Compusano, Tony G. and De la Cruz behind

383031228_1f2b3f688b.jpg

5. Zumaya Almost saw him smile with a fan today!

383031409_7531736893.jpg

6. This is somewhere between Frizbee, Australian Rules Football and Rugby

383031708_334fd37b2e.jpg

7. Dingman, Bonderman and Sleeth

383031826_eeea9bbabe.jpg

8. I have no idea!

383031986_0f34e724e1.jpg

Cute story---HERE COME THE TRUCKS....from the Tigers web

Truck day arrives for Tigers

First of two semi haulers loaded for trip to Spring Training.

DETROIT -- Comerica Park isn't headed above freezing anytime soon. But much of the clubhouse is bound for warmer climates.

The loading of the truck is a annual rite of spring, albeit a quiet, cold one. It's the 29th time for Tigers clubhouse manager Jim Schmakel, and nearly half that for clubhouse assistant Tyson Steele. Even many of the movers for the company the Tigers hire out have been doing the routine for years now. Yet the tradition still has its subtle changes.

It's actually a two-day, two-truck event. The first truck, carrying clubhouse equipment, will leave Thursday on the nearly 1,200-mile journey for Lakeland. By the time the 10-man crew completes the approximately six hours of loading, the truck will be completely filled to the top, a load estimated at around 28,000 pounds. A second truck, carrying remaining clubhouse stuff, front-office equipment and luggage for everyone from team executives to media, won't be nearly so full when it leaves over the weekend.

Years ago, the truck carried much more from the clubhouse, including the weight room equipment and television sets off the tops of lockers. Improvements to the facilities at Joker Merchant Stadium have erased that need; much of the freight now consists of clothing, bats -- it's easier for the clubhouse personnel to mark the bats in Detroit than when they get to Lakeland -- and video equipment. Still, a relic or two gets mixed in.

Among the highlights: A hat stretcher, believed to be an antique among Major League teams, that the Tigers take on road trips with them. The team has had it since it was supplied by the New Era cap company in the 1980s, but the machine dates back years before that.

Despite the advancements, there's still more equipment being shipped down than before. And preparing it is a job that begins long before truck day. Soon after the season ends, Steele said, the process of taking inventory begins.