DaYooperASBDT

Tigers Hall Of Fame - Q&A

EVERYONE...

Also does anyone want to help with writing brief summaries on each players' careers. dt35456984 had some fine pictures. We can use those. I can write some as well.

I'd like to do a couple if you need some help. Just PM me the names when the time comes and give me a day.

If i may interject a thought. I think if Mr. Harwell decided to get involved with this, that we utilize his memory in a more broader sense. I think we should have a "Wing" dedictated to Mr. Harwells choices ... he'll have much more information to give us about someone who, statistically, may be lacking ... and not thought of as a "hall-of-famer" ... but definetley is .. hope my thought has been worded in such a way that is understood.

If i may interject a thought. I think if Mr. Harwell decided to get involved with this, that we utilize his memory in a more broader sense. I think we should have a "Wing" dedictated to Mr. Harwells choices ... he'll have much more information to give us about someone who, statistically, may be lacking ... and not thought of as a "hall-of-famer" ... but definetley is .. hope my thought has been worded in such a way that is understood.
I think that Ernie's choices would rate at least a "sticky" :classic: Actually we could use Mr. Harwell's presence here regularly, to keep some moderations in line! :wink:

I'm comfortable with keeping these elections as strictly an in-house project, at least as far as HOF decisions are made. I'm not sure how internet-savvy Mr. Harwell is, or even what his involvement on a 30-member message board committee even accomplishes.

I think what could really utilize Ernie's talents and give this project proper legitimacy is if we could sell him on doing a podcast. We would have to rely heavily on the talents of our fellow MotownSports members who have experience in radio or podcasting, and then there's the whole thing about contacting Ernie and getting him to sign on to the project (hopefully free of charge). But just imagine a 19-episode podcast series devoted to each HOF class, as hosted by Ernie Harwell. Now that would be terrific stuff.

I'm comfortable with keeping these elections as strictly an in-house project, at least as far as HOF decisions are made. I'm not sure how internet-savvy Mr. Harwell is, or even what his involvement on a 30-member message board committee even accomplishes.

I think what could really utilize Ernie's talents and give this project proper legitimacy is if we could sell him on doing a podcast. We would have to rely heavily on the talents of our fellow MotownSports members who have experience in radio or podcasting, and then there's the whole thing about contacting Ernie and getting him to sign on to the project (hopefully free of charge). But just imagine a 19-episode podcast series devoted to each HOF class, as hosted by Ernie Harwell. Now that would be terrific stuff.

That would be beyond terrific!

Dr. Detroit,

Send the PM and you can be a member. We're not cutting off anyone. Chances are some will miss and I don't think anyone here wants to alienate anyone. DaYooper, to be honest I haven't updated the list, but I guess if I take my original list and add it with the people I rolled the dice with, I'd have it figured out. I think I will take the lists and have them next to me to see who votes come the end of the week. Actually I haven't voted myself and have only seen one person's votes - the first one that came across that I didn't meant to see.

Mudman,

If you are gone I will give you my home and office phone number to give me future nominations. I can even call you with the new nominees when they come around.

EVERYONE...

How often do we do this. Once every 4-5 weeks. Also does anyone want to help with writing brief summaries on each players' careers. dt35456984 had some fine pictures. We can use those. I can write some as well. And I think we want to keep these pretty brief. Really anything larger than this post here is too big. Maybe about double what would be on the Comerica Park statues.

I can do them all, but I think we all would want ownership in doing some of these.

Whatever everyone else thinks is good on timing. I may need that extra time once baseball season starts.

I am happy to help with some of the writing. Just let me know.

I am into stats and stats are going to drive all of my decisions in this thing. If someone has crappy stats but is a great personality I likely will not vote for them.

On the same note if someone is above average and is never on a championship team I will vote for them before someone that had crappy stats and was carried by other players to a championship.

There has already been one candidate that I loved stories about, but the numbers just did not add up.

My choices will be made on stats, but right now, all these guys are just names and numbers to me. I would love to hear the human element. I mean, we are researching these guys for a particular purpose, but I would like to get to know them as people as well. This human element will not sway my vote, but will help me to appreciate them as people as well.

Pete Rose knows something about the "human element" ........

You are so correct. If you saw him play, you would have seen some of the intangibles he brought to the game, beyond the stats.:tired:

I would love to hear his take on these historical players as well. (any chance of getting a CD recording of this for each member of the committee? I don't have an i-pod) Wouldn't it be cool, if this were to be set up someplace at Comerica Park (or whatever) to have a button by each member of the HOF for people to push to hear Ernie Harwell's comments on each of the members? I think we could probably take up a collection or something to make that possible.

Dr. Detroit,

Mudman,

If you are gone I will give you my home and office phone number to give me future nominations. I can even call you with the new nominees when they come around.

I may have solved the problem. Roger, Hueytaxi, is going to allow me to play on his laptop as needed. If anyone wants to contact me for any reason you can PM me through Roger. Thanks

(any chance of getting a CD recording of this for each member of the committee? I don't have an i-pod)

You wouldn't need an iPod to listen to an MP3 file.

I may have solved the problem. Roger, Hueytaxi, is going to allow me to play on his laptop as needed. If anyone wants to contact me for any reason you can PM me through Roger. Thanks

You should be able to log in on your own account on Rogers computer.

You should be able to log in on your own account on Rogers computer.

Very true but if I happen to be at Winter Haven, Pirate City or somewhere he can always call me. I usually spend about half my days in Tiger Town and the rest wandering around the state. From arrival to departure I usually tack on about 2,000+ Florida miles.

Very true but if I happen to be at Winter Haven, Pirate City or somewhere he can always call me. I usually spend about half my days in Tiger Town and the rest wandering around the state. From arrival to departure I usually tack on about 2,000+ Florida miles.

gotcha, smart idea.

There has already been one candidate that I loved stories about, but the numbers just did not add up.

I voted for him... :cool:

You are so correct. If you saw him play, you would have seen some of the intangibles he brought to the game, beyond the stats.:tired:
Such a damned shame. Pete Rose IS baseball. But unfortunately, Pete Rose is also Pete Rose .........

I've been thinking about Edman's suggestion concerning non-player candidates, and I now agree that something special dispensation needs to be made for them. He brought up the riduclously stacked 1995 class, and even then he forgot to mention Paul Carey. At the end of the day, it's not fair or even particularly logical to force the players to compete with votes for non-players (managers, broadcasters, owners, team presidents, etc.).

What I'm suggesting is that non-players be nominated just as we nominate players, but voting for them will not count against your five-vote limit. So a vote for Sparky in '95 would not mean taking a vote away from a player. The elections would then carry on as usual, with a candidate needing 75% of the committee's votes to be elected and 15-74% to remain on the ballot.

I've been thinking about Edman's suggestion concerning non-player candidates, and I now agree that something special dispensation needs to be made for them. He brought up the riduclously stacked 1995 class, and even then he forgot to mention Paul Carey. At the end of the day, it's not fair or even particularly logical to force the players to compete with votes for non-players (managers, broadcasters, owners, team presidents, etc.).

What I'm suggesting is that non-players be nominated just as we nominate players, but voting for them will not count against your five-vote limit. So a vote for Sparky in '95 would not mean taking a vote away from a player. The elections would then carry on as usual, with a candidate needing 75% of the committee's votes to be elected and 15-74% to remain on the ballot.

In fairness, I was wrong and some of those guys are on the 1990 ballot.

Another consideration I've had is if we are going to do annual elections every year. I was thinking we could have everybody who at any point got 40%, but got bumped later. This would enable us to have yearly elections that aren't biased towards current/recent players, and would give guys who got 60% of the vote one year and fell later because of the five vote limit. It would also allow us to keep this alive.

In order to be baseball wouldn't you have to be one of the top ten players ever? How about top 30?
So you are no longer awarding longevity then? :classic:

DT and Edman have some good ideas, about non-players and dealing with players that didn't make the cut in the first go-round. Thoughts:

1. We need to vote in some non-players. Could have 5 votes for players, 2 votes for non-players. But doesn't the real HOF have a separate election for non-players? Just dealing with players is a pretty huge job. Plus we need to deal with negro leaguers and pre-1901 teams.

2. Edman, could we have a Veterans Committee? Restrict membership to our former MVP's + moderators? Or have an application process and pick ten people, then look at ALL nominees who garnered at least 15% in an election, but failed to be elected?