DaYooperASBDT

Tigers Hall Of Fame - Q&A

NEXT ELECTION DEADLINE - TBA for May 2010

(Carryover candidates + retired since 2005)

VOTING REQUIREMENTS:

Adhere to voting deadline. Maximum five player votes, can vote for less than five players if desired. Votes for non-players will not count toward your five-vote maximum for players.

To Vote: PM list of players & non-players you want elected to DTroppens. Use this format:

John Doe

Jack Doe

Jimmy Doe

Jason Doe

Jim-Bob Doe

Skipper Manager

etc.

List only the players and non-players you want elected. Please try to submit only one ballot, rather than rushing in a ballot, then having to revise it.

ALTERNATE VOTING ARRANGEMENTS:

From Dave: "If anyone ever can't make it on the board to vote, send me a PM. I'll give you my office phone number that has voice mail. I will give you my email address. I will give you a mailing address ..." etc.

NOMINATION PROCESS:

New Election Threads, for each 5-year period, will be posted weekly. Usually Friday or Saturday. To be eligible, that player's final Tigers season must fall within the past 5 seasons. For example, the 1920 election will include players whose final Tigers season was 1916-1920. We will nominate a minimum of ten players, if ten qualify.

Players with sufficient support in prior elections will be carried over to the current election. A list of all nominated players and non-players will be posted in the election thread. Members are encouraged to share information/links on the nominees in the election threads.

ELECTION PROCESS:

Players must receive 75% of total votes cast. Once the 2005 election is completed, committee intends to schedule annual elections, to consider newly eligible players, and to review older players that were not elected in past elections (procedures TBD).

COMMITTEE LIST (3/9/07) - (This will need to be updated)

Billfer

Brent

Buddha

chasfh

cruzer1

davidsb

DaYooperASBDT

DennisDubay

DoctorDetroit

dt35456884

DTroppens

edman

estrepe

Gartenspartan

Johnny Mac

Just Some Dude

lionstigersand...

LJK004

Mudman

NATE

Oblong

One Man's Fool

Redshark

Squid

Tiger337

Tigeraholic1

Tigercub33

tigerfan81371

Toledo Tiger fan

whitecapwendy

If you are interested in assisting with our HOF project, please PM DTroppens.

Edited by DaYooperASBDT

Good idea...I was wondering where to ask a few things. I am heading to Lakeland in a few days and this limits my computer usage to once weekly until my return in April.

What is the time frame for nominations, discussions and voting for each "class"?

Are these always going to be in five year incriments?

The reason for this question is that I would have a tough decision considering someone eligible for consideration with only two years in a Detroit uniform overall but if the criteria is limited to a specific five year span then those 2 season now become 40% of the time span in question and will greatly impact my vote.

EDIT: Process changed on 2/1/07, fixed this post to avoid misinformation.

Mudman, to try to clarify one question, the player must have ended his Tigers career during that five year span, in order to be nominated. For example, Cobb played with Detroit from 1905-1926, so he can not be nominated until 1930.

Your vote should be based upon their entire career with Detroit. Keep in mind that if a player gets 15% of the vote, they stay on the ballot for the next election.

Our next election will be "1920", for players who retired from 1916-1920. But those who got 15% to 74% in the 1915 election will be carried over.

(Someone correct me if I screw up an answer!)

Mudman, to try to clarify one question, the player must have retired from baseball during that five year...

cool...I believed that was the case but became confused somewhere along the way and wanted it clarified...maybe I shouldn't stay up all night, every night reading and writing and still expect my brain cells to function and not to fall out by the roots. Thanks

I'm assuming that Doctor Detroit missed the cut-off, and is not on the permanent voting list at present. If that's the case our committee now has 28 voting members.

I would hope that "non-members" will read the election threads, and contribute information to the discussions. The HOF is really taking off nicely now.

I'm assuming that Doctor Detroit missed the cut-off, and is not on the permanent voting list at present. If that's the case our committee now has 28 voting members.

I would hope that "non-members" will read the election threads, and contribute information to the discussions. The HOF is really taking off nicely now.

I'd like to be considered. Who do I call?

Dr. Detroit,

Send the PM and you can be a member. We're not cutting off anyone. Chances are some will miss and I don't think anyone here wants to alienate anyone. DaYooper, to be honest I haven't updated the list, but I guess if I take my original list and add it with the people I rolled the dice with, I'd have it figured out. I think I will take the lists and have them next to me to see who votes come the end of the week. Actually I haven't voted myself and have only seen one person's votes - the first one that came across that I didn't meant to see.

Mudman,

If you are gone I will give you my home and office phone number to give me future nominations. I can even call you with the new nominees when they come around.

EVERYONE...

How often do we do this. Once every 4-5 weeks. Also does anyone want to help with writing brief summaries on each players' careers. dt35456984 had some fine pictures. We can use those. I can write some as well. And I think we want to keep these pretty brief. Really anything larger than this post here is too big. Maybe about double what would be on the Comerica Park statues.

I can do them all, but I think we all would want ownership in doing some of these.

Once every 4 to 5 weeks sounds way to slow. At that rate, it will take 18 months to finish this. I really think we need to move faster than that or people will start to lose interest.

I would be willing to post the season stats for each nominee, if that helps.

(breakdown by seasons)

Along similar lines I will try to post the "human" element. My library of baseball books contains thousands of volumes written over the past eighty+ years. I have lived a used bookstores and flea markets since the late sixties.

I find that the internet provides me with countless stats...more than I will ever understand but too often lacks the personalities, clubhouse contributions, first hand accounts and contributions outside the lines. IMO, the stats are a mere starting point.

Once every 4 to 5 weeks sounds way to slow. At that rate, it will take 18 months to finish this.

I agree. I think that a week, maybe two to nominate and discuss each group and a week to vote is plenty of time.

I've already got all of the HOF classes sorted and ready to go. I'll have the new thread up as soon as the results of the 1915 elections are in.

I think especially being that it's still the offseason, we can expedite this a little bit. Without the distraction of meaningful games, we'll be able to knock out a couple decades before opening day.

Along similar lines I will try to post the "human" element. My library of baseball books contains thousands of volumes written over the past eighty+ years. I have lived a used bookstores and flea markets since the late sixties.

I find that the internet provides me with countless stats...more than I will ever understand but too often lacks the personalities, clubhouse contributions, first hand accounts and contributions outside the lines. IMO, the stats are a mere starting point.

I'm more of a stat guy so it's stats that will drive my evaluations more than anything else. However, I do love to hear the human side of the game. They probably won't sway too many of my decisions but those kinds of books are probably even more interesting to read than stat books. Books like The Glory of their Times give me a feel for the players and the times that stats don't necessarily give me.

I am into stats and stats are going to drive all of my decisions in this thing. If someone has crappy stats but is a great personality I likely will not vote for them.

On the same note if someone is above average and is never on a championship team I will vote for them before someone that had crappy stats and was carried by other players to a championship.

Mudman, I do feel the "stories" will add flavor to the voting threads. I have enjoyed I-Bert and others' posts in the History thread. Maybe you will even want to post similar capsules as threads of their own?

Voting - I'm thinking two weeks per election is plenty of time, if everyone can handle that, especially DT and Dave (they have done most of the work to date).

We are getting info in quick.

And really the next batches should go faster. We have our process and we all know it. I'm guessing giving people a week to 10 days to make decisions is good enough.

I doubt that the human element will sway voters nor is that my true intent unless I run across something like I had posted earlier in response to someones question as to why Elberfield was traded in 1903...

Elberfeld was accused by Tiger manager Ed Barrow of deliberately throwing games to get himself traded.

You will not find this in any stat book.

Oh I agree. I love the old stories in fact that is one of the things I am looking forward to in this project. Just saying that it won't change my vote one way or the other.

Whatever became of the Ernie participation idea?

No idea... it's up to the people who are able to contact him.

I doubt that the human element will sway voters nor is that my true intent unless I run across something like I had posted earlier in response to someones question as to why Elberfield was traded in 1903...

Elberfeld was accused by Tiger manager Ed Barrow of deliberately throwing games to get himself traded.

You will not find this in any stat book.

Nice find.